Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorado Elk hunting

Anyone hunt the Uncompahgre wilderness?

maybe I should point out Im not looking for tips on good areas or anything like that..

I hunted that backcountry the last two years West of Lakecity and Its dang sure an adventure. had close calls both years on bulls and passed cows each trip.. Ill be headed back in september for 7 days.. Mountain bowhunting is as tough as it gets imho. Im addicted to backcounrty bowhunting, its the most miserable hunt of the year for me and I love everything about. I was just looking to talk ELK ,GEAR, and maybe see if any others on here were hunting 65 next year or have in the past..

Comment

i'm not hunting that area but i am putting things in place for an elk hunt to Colorado in the future. my buddy lives in the NW corner of the state and does very well bow hunting for elk each year. He sent me a pic of an amazing bull taken with the bow from last year.

I've decided i want a Mystery Ranch pack and a good pair of boots. I'm all set in every other category (except a truck) including optics/bow/rifle.

Comment

Comment

Glassed up a couple rams one morning

Comment

A weeks worth of gear, camp, food, and bow! 39 pounds !!

Comment

Another good pack is the Optics Hunter by Outdoorsman and the best boots you can find break them in before you go.

Comment

230 inch bull and 19 cows! Got to 248yards from this herd at 13,000. Step canyon between us!

Last edited by TJShockler; 02-12-2017, 08:22 PM.

Comment

That's some beautiful country, we did the Alpine loop last summer, how far West of Lake City is unit 65?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhunter87 View Post
                      That's some beautiful country, we did the Alpine loop last summer, how far West of Lake City is unit 65?

By road along ways, strait across about 20 -30miles

Comment

Those are some cool pics, we used to rifle hunt unit 86, and are planning our first archery hunt there this year, can't wait for September.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhunter87 View Post
                          Those are some cool pics, we used to rifle hunt unit 86, and are planning our first archery hunt there this year, can't wait for September.
                          good luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut 99 View Post
                            Another good pack is the Optics Hunter by Outdoorsman and the best boots you can find break them in before you go.

lots of great packs out there as well as boots. I bought some Zamberlan guides last year and never looked back ..

Comment

I missed this past November due to my friend bailing on me 2 weeks before we were set to go. I was going to do an OTC bull tag in Unit 77 or 78, that I was going to purchase when I arrived . . . but I never went. It was actually a good thing because a couple of Park Rangers told me they had been having some late winters (which drives the elk above 12k) and the 3rd rifle season turned out to be over 80 degrees. I'm entering the draw for this year's upcoming hunt and going in the 4th rifle season (even if I have to go by myself). However, if there's someone on here that would like to talk about going together (especially anyone who's been before), then I would really like to talk!! I'm not opposed to going to a different Unit if you know of one that's better.

Comment

Working...
                              X