Hunting tactics for mature bucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M16 View Post
    I pulled all the corn feeders off my ranch two years ago. Now it's hand corn or spread with a road feeder. If an old buck wants some corn he has to show up before all the other animals devour the corn. It has worked out quite well. I am seeing the bigger bucks on a more consistent basis.
    Do you have a hand that runs corn routes for you'll when you'll aren't there? Or do you'll just feed when you'll are there?

Comment

Deer follow contours and cover like fish so I spend a lot of time on the lake studying it.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
        Yessir. It'd be hard to hunt whitetails in a lot of this state without feeders or some type of feeding going on.
        Back in the early days[my early was the 50's] we didn't have any feeders on our leases...every now and then ,one of the farmers on the lease would bring a truck load of corn from his fields...still in the shucks and we would dump it on the senderos...an old doe can grab an ear of corn by the end of the shucks and have it out and eaten with just a few pops of her head...amazing to watch...we didn't hunt the senderos much...most stands were a couple of boards in a mesquite tree over a trail or crossing ,or bedding area...and we weren't near as much into trophy management...horns...chootem...ground check and no does were killed...
        Last edited by Winman; 03-21-2012, 10:29 AM.

Comment

I will be putting my boots on the ground starting next week scouting. In the midwest a 100 acre property is considered big and my lease is 1300 acres, so I am going to break it down into sections that look good on the aerial and topo map first. I am betting on a big acorn crop this year due the rain we have been having and the low crop last year. I heard the corn was piling up at the feeders in 2010 due to the bumper crop of acorns that year. I am going to try find some thick bedding area next to oak trees asap.

Comment

Open the beer cans as soon as you get in the blind. Those big bucks tend to hear them when you have been sittin there awhile
            Excellent point sir, also need a good exit strategy for the urine, lol

Comment

I like where your heads at. Im from Ohio and grew up hunting big Midwest whitetails and learned alot about how to pattern them i.e food to bed, ideal stand placement for particular conditions and rely on my due diligence and experience to let the big guy come to me..(I can go on and on about that, as im sure you can testify)... And your absolutely right 100 acres is considered pretty big.
              Hunting down here is apples to oranges.. To draw in big bucks you almost always need a attractant. And feeders are just the nature of the beast...Especially with how large the property's are and the amount of deer. Feeders help close the gap and provide the deer a reason to stick around your set up's. I would take the advice givin by the others. Then get as highly elevated as possible and look around. Watch the movement... Deer do funny things, keep a eye out for signs like gaps in a fence or small pockets of shade between water and food. Deer like ridges and flats. So try to find where a ridge might pinch into a flat. Look for real thick brushy spots (like rip the clothes off your back kind of stuff) and find a intersection..Mature bucks will pattern you, and if they feel the pressure they will adjust.
              Good luck !!!

Comment

Originally posted by bigmike585 View Post
                Excellent point sir, also need a good exit strategy for the urine, lol
                Empty gallon water container. But you must put something in the bottom to pad it as it get loud

Comment

Originally posted by Tx625 View Post
                  Do you have a hand that runs corn routes for you'll when you'll aren't there? Or do you'll just feed when you'll are there?
                  We just feed when we are there. It doesn't take them long to adjust. I have a lot of javelina as well. So there is competition for the corn. If a deer wants some he will come quick. I lot of people kill every javelina they see. I don't. Javelina help clean up the corn so it doesn't last much after dark.

Comment

Working...
                  X