No announcement yet.

Fess up, we all know you have done something Stupid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when I was 13 I learned how to make smoke bombs. I had saved my money all summer long and bought a Commodore 64 computer. A friend gave me a floppy disk with a bunch of recipes on it, I think it was the anarchist cookbook. The only one that caught my attention was the one labeled SMOKE BOMB. A friend picked me up and we went and bought the supplies and headed back to his house to get started. We successfully made and set off several small smoke bombs. We then decided to go big. Up to this point our small bombs were made in half of a soda can and produced a lot of smoke. Our big bomb was made in a large coffe can. While we were letting it cool off and solidify my friends older brother showed up and wanted us to set it off. We told him it had to cool off first. Being impatient, older, and smarter than us he decided it would cool off faster in the freezer. We proceeded into the house, placed the smoke bomb in the freezer and I started talking to my girl on the phone. 5 minutes latter I heard a hissing noise and instantly the entire house was filled with smoke. 15 minutes latter when we got enough smoke out of the house to see the freezer, it was completely destroyed. All the plastic had melted and all the food in the freezer had been cooked. I guess the cold from the freezer set off some sort of chemical reaction and it self ignited. Oh, what good times.

Here's a link for a small smoke bomb to give you an idea of how much smoke that large coffe can put out. Also notice the flame it puts out.

Last edited by Sideler; 12-09-2017, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Some of my dumb stuff, there is a lot to choose from. There are a lot of things I have done, that did not end well.

Ok, I got one. Back in the early 80s, when I was about 12, I wanted a compound bow so bad, but they were expensive by my standards. Well, I saved up money by cutting grass. The bow I wanted was a Indian, don't remember the model. It was either a 50# or 55# pull compound bow. It cost something like $54 or $57 at the time, if I remember correctly. I think I got it from Montgomery Wards. Well I finally got the money, went down and ordered the bow. It came in, we went and picked it up one weekend. I got home with it, went to Wal Mart, got some aluminum arrows, probably generic Easton arrows. Then went and tried to shoot the bow. I figured out quickly that I was not strong enough to draw the bow. That really sucked, I never thought about that. I worked hard for over a summer to make the money to buy the bow, then I could not shoot it. So I then started to lift weights and do anything I could to get stronger. Then kept going back and trying to draw the bow. For quite a while, it seemed like a lost cause. Then sometime when I was around 13, I had finally built up enough strength I could draw the bow.

So I was finally able to shoot the bow. Then I lost most of my arrows quickly, the burry under grass very easily, when you miss the target, which I did often. Eventually I got pretty good shooting the bow instinctively. I quit loosing arrows as often. But I still lost arrows.

Well then one day, a neighbor was having a garage sale, in the garage sale was a huge collection of old wooden arrows. They knew I had a bow and sold me the arrows cheaply. I was very excited to get to shoot some real wooden arrows. So I got the bow out and took the box of arrows out to shoot. I shot the first three arrows, no problems they shot great. Then the fourth arrow, did something that surprised me. The arrow came apart in mid air. The front half of the arrow, stuck in the target and the back half of the arrow stuck in the target right next to the front half. Naturally being 13, this seemed very cool. So I shot another arrow, it too, came apart in mid air, but it came apart sooner after leaving the bow. That shot, the front half of the arrow, went tumbling over the top of the hay bail. The back half stuck in the target. So I had to try another shot, that shot, the arrow came apart also, but both halves tumbled, neither half stuck into anything. So I tried another shot, that was the last shot. I drew, released and things went way wrong. The arrow came apart immediately when I released the string. The back half of the arrow, went left and low off of the rest. The back half of the arrow, penetrated the top of my left hand, then the arrow, or splinter, went through my hand, following the bone for my index finger. It continued under the skin, following my index finger. It came out at the last joint near the finger nail on my left index finger. The arrow went deep enough, about half the length of the fletching was in my left hand. The front end was sticking out of my left index finger.

To say it hurt like hell, would be a great understatement. Well my girlfriend was over, she saw what happened and went and told my mother. I was scared my parents would take the bow away from me. I tried to stop her from telling my parents. It was too late, hear came the whole family outside to see what happened. It looked bad and hurt a lot worse. Then everybody started talking about going to the hospital. I hated doctors,, hospitals, I did not want any part of that. So I tried to pull the arrow out myself. I tried to pull it out with my right hand, It would not budge. Then I got some pliers and tried to grab the nock end of the arrow and pull it out. I still could not get it to budge. I finally found a large pair of Vice Grips and clamped those onto the rear of the arrow. If I remember correctly, I had to twist and pull like hell and it hurt like hell. That arrow was stuck. I am guessing a combination of the skin being stretched so tight on my index finger, since the arrow, was between the bone and skin, the length of my finger. Then the other reason, was that half the fletching was in my hand.

The good thing was, there was virtually no blood, I think because the skin was stretched tight around the arrow. I finally found a way of pulling on the Vice Grips with a lot of force and then twisting the arrow, to try and get the fletching to lay over and not try to stand up. I finally got the arrow to start coming out. That was so ridiculously painful. Everybody there had to walk off, the sight of me pulling the arrow out of my hand was more than they could handle. Eventually after probably 30 minutes of pulling very hard on the arrow, I finally got it out. Then the blood started to flow. I was bleeding all over the place at that point. Everybody there was sick at their stomach from seeing the ordeal. I was scared and in a lot of pain. Once I got the arrow out, I was extremely happy and the pain did not bother me much at that point.

So my hand and finger got bandaged up after a good does of peroxide and alcohol. Yes, that made it feel great, that hurt like hell. Some time after that, I threw the rest of the wooden arrows away. Sever since then I always have had a thing for shooting good arrows. I used XX75 arrows for many years, once I got to the point I could afford them. I used the cheaper Easton arrow, the one that was a step down from the XX75s, for the first two or three years I was shooting. Then I eventually got to where I could afford XX75s and used those, till I discovered Beeman carbon fiber arrows. Those were something else, when they first came out.

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
        Man I could name several stupid things done at that golf course!
        You should go to Frasch Park in Sulphur sometime...you will see a load of stupid stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
          I shot a rifle from a inside an insulated box blind without sticking the barrel out the window. It was mounted on a field pod. No hearing protection. After that I couldn't hear well for days and my tinnitus has been much worse ever since. Absolutely one of the dumbest things I've ever done.

Did that in a truck once

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

a "few years" back, I was running an additional phone line to a bedroom that did not previously have one. The old phone lines for the most part had four individual wires of which only two or three were actually used. Two of those have live voltage. The cable I was running was already connected to the junction box and the only remaining thing to do was to thread the cable through a.small hole in the ceiling and attach it to the phone jack in the room. I was up in the atic trying not to fall through the ceiling and having a hard time trying to thread the cable as the four wire did not want to go through the hole. Without thinking, I went to put them in my mouth sort of like you do braided line for threading a through a hook. The atic lit up as if a flash had gone of and a loud popping sound came form my mouth as the wires shorted out. To my amazement, I did not feel any pain nor was I shocked but it scared the smelly stuff out of me.

Comment

Well, I have an old Timberwolf atv. Its definitely not a show piece but still works. The seat was in pretty bad shape, so decided to recover it. Find some cheap vinyl upholstery for $8. Took the seat off and went inside the house to do the job. Grab my wife's fairly new Apple laptop and do the YouTube thing on DIY seat cover. All is going extremely well until I pull on the seat which then sends the far end pushing the laptop off the table and crashing on the floor. .....screen cracked and harddrive completely inoperable....Apple store cant fix....$8=$800. . Seat looked great though.

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

Comment

Here is my most recent.

Back in the spring our son was going to be in for a weekend from Austin, I've been meaning to trim some trees, and I needed some help. Can you see where this is going?

Everything is going great until one of the last large limbs. It's about 15 feet up on an oak, about 10ft long, and I'm about 4-5 ft up on a step ladder with an electric pole saw. I had thrown a rope around the limb so my son could help control where the limb falls.

Just almost a complete cut at the base of the limb, limb starts sagging and I sense something very wrong, so I start retreating down the ladder hoping to land softer. Limb clears the tree, end of limb hits the ground and looks like a spring- I see the limb coming, instantly I jump from the 2nd or 3rd rung while chunking the elect pole saw. While in mid-air, the 4' diameter base of the limb hits me in left booby. I hit the ground after what seems like an eternity, 1 foot further to my left and I'd have landed on a large cement bird bath.

After my son quit laughing, we put the saw and ladder up as I figured my luck had ran out for that day.

At age 52 I still haven't learned, but I surprised myself in being able to jump back up.

Comment

I had never played golf in my life, did not interest me and still does not today. About 1990 or so , my friends said I had to go play golf with them for a charity. So I stopped at yard sale and bought a big bag of them golf sticks real cheap. I went out in the hay field and practiced hitting that ball .
                  Well it came time for the tournament and I had figured out to use that great big stick with the wood end on it for distance. My turn to swing and I hit it hard boys. It went sideways and hit a House way over yonder and knocked some vinyl siding off of it. My team mates said don’t worry about it let’s move on. I really wanted to try again, but a big woman from that house I hit was looking our way.
                  Now we took off and everyone is doing good and we get to the place where the short grass is and a fella took the flag out of the cup. I was bored out of my mind and started walking around the green. I found a quarter and picked it up, then another. This fella come over to me and said you took my marker dumbazz. Heck I thought they fell out of somebody’s pocket. Needless to say I was the driver of the cart the rest of the day. True story

Comment

Was on an extension ladder 16 ft up cutting a 10 inch limb with a chainsaw, limb swung down way faster than expected and buckled my extension ladder, i threw the chainsaw all in slow motion at one time and slid down the trunk of tree like a Fireman down a pole....Best part I wasn’t wearing a shirt.
                    That Oak tree tore my skin up....worst part is my wife was in the back yard and saw the whole thing ....she still likes telling the story!
                    She usually starts with “guess what this Dumb... did once?”
                    That’s just one of my many life lessons.

Comment

Ok, I'll play. This has happened TWICE!
                      #1 headed out for a morning hunt in Illinois, walked 400 yds to stand ,tie bow to pull up rope, no quiver, in truck.

#2 work nights .get off ,take short nap. get up ,drive 8 hrs like a madman to Kansas . get to motel change clothes ,unpack bow , haul butt to farm for evening hunt,. walk 400 yds to stand , get in stand pull up bow . hang bow up ....... no quiver, laying on bed in motel room...... go back to room break out bourbon!

Comment

Shot an illegal buck and posted it on TBH... honestly thought it was legal. Turned myself into game warden.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                          a "few years" back, I was running an additional phone line to a bedroom that did not previously have one. The old phone lines for the most part had four individual wires of which only two or three were actually used. Two of those have live voltage. The cable I was running was already connected to the junction box and the only remaining thing to do was to thread the cable through a.small hole in the ceiling and attach it to the phone jack in the room. I was up in the atic trying not to fall through the ceiling and having a hard time trying to thread the cable as the four wire did not want to go through the hole. Without thinking, I went to put them in my mouth sort of like you do braided line for threading a through a hook. The atic lit up as if a flash had gone of and a loud popping sound came form my mouth as the wires shorted out. To my amazement, I did not feel any pain nor was I shocked but it scared the smelly stuff out of me.
                          The things you learn, the hard way. When I was a kid, probably 15 or so. I knew noting about phones, except how to answer one, they rang and how to plug one in or unplug one.

Well my step father found a large phone bell in a yard he had at one time. He made me take the phone bell down, to take home. I did so. Then when we got home, he told me to go attach it to the house on the outside, under the roof overhang. So I got a ladder, went out and ran some screws to hold it up. but then really was not sure about hooking up the wires. At this point my mother was standing there helping. I finally just decided to twist wires together and see what happens. Well as I was twisting some wires together, somebody called our house, I have no idea who. But I found out very quickly, that you get a pulsing electrical charge through the wires, when the phone rings. It's a pretty decent jolt of electricity. Basically I got the crap knocked out of me, in a pulsing pattern. I let go and bailed off of the ladder. The bell worked, I don't know who called but I have always suspected my step father had something to do with it. Either telling a neighbor to call or he called from a neighbor's house.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                            I had never played golf in my life, did not interest me and still does not today. About 1990 or so , my friends said I had to go play golf with them for a charity. So I stopped at yard sale and bought a big bag of them golf sticks real cheap. I went out in the hay field and practiced hitting that ball .
                            Well it came time for the tournament and I had figured out to use that great big stick with the wood end on it for distance. My turn to swing and I hit it hard boys. It went sideways and hit a House way over yonder and knocked some vinyl siding off of it. My team mates said don’t worry about it let’s move on. I really wanted to try again, but a big woman from that house I hit was looking our way.
                            Now we took off and everyone is doing good and we get to the place where the short grass is and a fella took the flag out of the cup. I was bored out of my mind and started walking around the green. I found a quarter and picked it up, then another. This fella come over to me and said you took my marker dumbazz. Heck I thought they fell out of somebody’s pocket. Needless to say I was the driver of the cart the rest of the day. True story
                            That would be me, if I were ever asked to play golf. Never have, never had any interest, in golf, now golf courses look like fun for other purposes. I had no ide on the quarter deal either, I would be picking them up. I always pick up coins I find on the ground.

Comment

Shot a 44 mag revolver in a popup without ears.... Whew! Just recently I was working on my shooting form and executed a perfect shot sequence except for forgetting to nock a arrow first!

Comment

I watched CNN yesterday morning...I had to take a shower afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                                X