Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wish I knew how...following

Comment

Yes, I've got around 40 live oaks in my garden that I planted and need to transplant once we get enough rain in North Central Texas for them to survive!

Comment

Years ago I found some huge Burr Oak acorns while on a boy scout camping trip and planted them at the cabin property. I think one of them came up.

Comment

Very interesting thread. When is the best time to plant the acorns? How long does it take them to sprout, where you can see them?

Comment

I've got some Burr Oak acorns, Persimmon & Mexican Plum seed in the fridge right now. Going to stick them in some rootmaker containers after new years and see how it goes.

Comment

Tagged for learning.

Comment

Subscribed... I'm going to my grandmas this weekend and she has a Monterey oak in her front yard that grew like crazy. I wonder if the acorns will have superior genetics as well lol. Do you have to do them indoors this time of year?

Comment

We planted some acorns (gathered up in large cattle lick tubs from oaks near our house) this past fall in a disced up 2 acre plot in open pasture. We will see if they pop up next year. Looking to have a visual break & yearly acorn plot for deer. I cannot remember if it got fertilized with the food plots.

Comment

I have a three shelf grow light. I grew a ton of trees from seeds. I had two major problems. First, I did it in one of our unused bedrooms and the room had a swarm of fruit flies. Second, when put them in natural light, they all lost all of their leaves. I think they needed to slowly be put into natural light.

Good Luck.

Comment

I pick up handfuls of acorns whenever we travel around the state. Never had any luck getting them to come up but then i never started them indoors.

Saw a great new product on the Sharks program. It was a tree tepee, a plastic cone that kept all the moisture from a watering system contained within the cone. It was clear for sunlight and open on the top for growth. Retailed for abot $5 each

Comment

In. I've got a bunch of acorns stratifying right now and will plant in the new year.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                          I have a three shelf grow light. I grew a ton of trees from seeds. I had two major problems. First, I did it in one of our unused bedrooms and the room had a swarm of fruit flies. Second, when put them in natural light, they all lost all of their leaves. I think they needed to slowly be put into natural light.

Good Luck.
                          I had the same problem.....I had to expose them for a two hours for a few days and then double it for a few days and then work them up to all day exposure.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Doug View Post

Saw a great new product on the Sharks program. It was a tree tepee, a plastic cone that kept all the moisture from a watering system contained within the cone. It was clear for sunlight and open on the top for growth. Retailed for abot $5 each
                            I saw that as well. What a great product and and a man I would have around my campfire anytime.

Comment

Originally posted by Flint knapper View Post
                              Yes, I've got around 40 live oaks in my garden that I planted and need to transplant once we get enough rain in North Central Texas for them to survive!
                              I'm curious, where did you find a mule deer in that kind of terrain? (I'm looking at your profile pic)

Comment

How I Germinate acorns.

I pick the acorns directly off the tree before they hit the ground.
                                I place them in a bucket filled with water. ( the acorns that float, I throw away)

I then place some saw dust in a large ziplock bag and mix in the acorns.
                                I add water until the saw dust is really damp and then zip tight and place in the bottom of my fridge.( where you keep your lettuce or tomatoes)

After a few weeks I start seeing roots developing and then I will plant the individual acorns.
                                Last edited by Flint knapper; 12-18-2014, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X