No announcement yet.

2018 TPWD Draw Hunts - let the fun begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it is funny that everyone complained back in the day when you could only apply for one hunt per category. Now people complain that you can put in for all of them. I like the new system. Would rather have the option of putting in for as many as I want.

I get the argument for being able to buy a point in a category. Makes sense.

But I would much rather be able to put in for multiple hunts in one category. If you have other hunting options and are only putting in for a handful of premier hunts then it benefits you to have the old system to increase your odds, but if you don’t have your own place and are a meat hunter like me who is going to load up on doe/spike and hog applications then the new system is much better.

I think the fact that it is online now is affecting the odds much more than the number of hunts one can put in for per category.

But like others have said, no one gets picked so save your $ and don’t apply.

Comment

I put in where i could with my schedule. 60 something dollars between me and my dad as my partner.
      havent applied for gator yet, trying to figure out who i can get to apply with. thats one i dont want to go alone for and buddy will be out at work in september.

if anyone has some points built and in the same boat pm me. ill be at 5 or 6 points this year on gator
      Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 07-08-2018, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
        I have 22 in Pronghorn. Other categories range from 1 to 16. Only have 4 in Bighorn. They deleted all my previous points and made me start over at 0 for that one a few years ago. That sucked.
        Oh yeah, I remember when TPWD screwed you over that time. You poor fella!

I drew an elk tag for Colorado, so I'll be applying for 1 hunt in every category this year and hoping to NOT get drawn. Sure wish they would just add a LP only option. Also, I saw that the Powderhorn WMA was added to the list this year. I bet that one will be nearly impossible to draw.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz83 View Post
          Oh yeah, I remember when TPWD screwed you over that time. You poor fella!

I drew an elk tag for Colorado, so I'll be applying for 1 hunt in every category this year and hoping to NOT get drawn. Sure wish they would just add a LP only option. Also, I saw that the Powderhorn WMA was added to the list this year. I bet that one will be nearly impossible to draw.
          I saw the Powderhorn in there this year also. I admit I didn't know anything about it prior to that. I've looked around on line and learned a little bit about it. I'll put in for it for grins and giggles.

And congratulations on your elk tag!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BradBryant1000 View Post
            I saw the Powderhorn in there this year also. I admit I didn't know anything about it prior to that. I've looked around on line and learned a little bit about it. I'll put in for it for grins and giggles.

Don’t mention it and less people will know about it LOL

Comment

Call TPWD, they can give the answer you seek. Yeah, I wouldn't want to lose my points either.

Comment

Originally posted by lordvader View Post
                Call TPWD, they can give the answer you seek. Yeah, I wouldn't want to lose my points either.
                They will change your status if you ask, in the scenario where you find you can't go on a particular date and the draw hasn't taken place yet, TPWD will remove your entry so that you don't lose acquired points from the past, in case you are picked.

Comment

Originally posted by BradBryant1000 View Post

Haha, there's only 12 permits. They need to up their permit #'s, I remember when they would draw 180 permits just for archery at Gus Engeling and the antlerless gun as well as management gun was well over 100 permits, now it's way less.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                    Haha, there's only 12 permits. They need to up their permit #'s, I remember when they would draw 180 permits just for archery at Gus Engeling and the antlerless gun as well as management gun was well over 100 permits, now it's way less.
                    That’s something a lot of people don’t look at is how many fewer permits places are giving out every year.

Comment

put my daughter in for a few hunts not holding my breath

Comment

Originally posted by lk05077 View Post
                        put my daughter in for a few hunts not holding my breath
                        If your daughter is 17 or younger you should really check out the Texas Youth Hunting Program. It is a fantastic program.

TYHP Learn and Apply Advanced Hunting Skills

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Comment

x1000 on TYHP, took my son on his first deer and turkey hunt. First time kids get priority, both hunts we ate like kings, great company, highly recommend it. Scholarship available also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I hope luck is on my side! I have to keep my fellow TBH'ers entertained and glued to the GS! Not applying to anything yet. See how work plays out this year. Applying early is not a smart move. Keep your cards in hand til the dealer is ready!

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                              I hope luck is on my side! I have to keep my fellow TBH'ers entertained and glued to the GS! Not applying to anything yet. See how work plays out this year. Applying early is not a smart move. Keep your cards in hand til the dealer is ready!
                              Actually talking to the people that wrote the computer program the earlier you put in the better your chance, it rotates throught the applications in order of entry, the earlier you put in the more times the wheel spins by your name so to speak.

Comment

Last fall my son got drawn for a mule deer hunt. I think I was more excited about it than he was. It was a chance at the Holy Grail.

A few weeks after we received that news I got the dreaded email. I was finally drawn for a Gun Deer Either Sex hunt. Yep, you guessed it, the hunt was scheduled the same weekend as my son’s youth hunt.

It pains me to type this, but that was the first time I was drawn for a buck hunt. Twenty six years of applying and 26 preference points down the drain.

Oh well, I don’t regret it and that’s how the system rolls. After all, I was the one who double booked!

Comment

Working...
                                X