Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help, smoking Pork shoulder question

Originally posted by bryan sandlin View Post
    guess I have never done it right by the gods that post up here. mine is done after 8 hours at 225-250 the temp may have been checked a few years ago, but pulled it at 160 deg. foil tent for 1 hour and then started at it. just too much stuff to make from it. well worth the time spent.

Gods? Are we twisted because folks suggest doing it differently?[emoji102][emoji41]

Hey man... if sliced smoked pork is what you like then 160deg and this tent job you mentioned is fine. Although I’m not real sure what the hour tent job accomplishes. Pork chops and steaks are safe to consume at 140 now according to the FDA..160 is well past that. Get after it with a knife.[emoji1303]

If pulled pork BBQ (Shredded) is the endgame then you are gonna be disappointed at 160 and an this tent job. Pork does not separate at those temps. The collagen and muscles fibers aren’t broken down at that temp enough to allow it. It’s science. Not a gods work.

Signed BBQ Hercules

Comment

When I smoke a pork shoulder it usually peaks at 190. I take it out of the smoker at 203. I’ve always received compliments on it. Those last 10-15 degrees can drag out for a few hours. Don’t fret.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
        Gods? Are we twisted because folks suggest doing it differently?[emoji102][emoji41]

Hey man... if sliced smoked pork is what you like then 160deg and this tent job you mentioned is fine. Although I’m not real sure what the hour tent job accomplishes. Pork chops and steaks are safe to consume at 140 now according to the FDA..160 is well past that. Get after it with a knife.[emoji1303]

If pulled pork BBQ (Shredded) is the endgame then you are gonna be disappointed at 160 and an this tent job. Pork does not separate at those temps. The collagen and muscles fibers aren’t broken down at that temp enough to allow it. It’s science. Not a gods work.

Signed BBQ Hercules
        in my pit after 8 hours at 225-250 and I see 1 1/2 inch bone, its done for me.

Comment

Good deal. You are who you are cooking for.

If you like it sliced and not pulled that's all that matters.
          Last edited by Smart; 03-13-2018, 07:32 PM.

Comment

And what happens if there is less meat on the pork butt?

What happens if there is more meat on the pork butt?

Bones don't vary in size much, meat does.

A 6# pork butt cooks differently than a 10# pork butt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post

over the last say 12 years and 10 or more shots at it, I look for what I want. if its too dry, soup. 9 out of 10 have been what I want. I know my pit.

Comment

over the last say 12 years and 10 or more shots at it, I look for what I want. if its too dry, soup. 9 out of 10 have been what I want. I know my pit.

So just for ****s and giggles.....what exactly is it that you want out of a pork butt?? I'm curious.

And over 12 years you've done 10 PBs? So 1 every 1-1/4 years.
                Last edited by Smart; 03-13-2018, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  So just for ****s and giggles.....what exactly is it that you want out of a pork butt?? I'm curious.

And over 12 years you've done 10 PBs? So 1 every 1-1/4 years.

Shredded in a food processor maybe?

[emoji102]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Boil them in liquid smoke and 500* oven for an hour! mmm mmmmm!!!
                      Not even sure how to respond. No where near what power cooking is... Check out Myron Mixon power cook method.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post
                        Not even sure how to respond. No where near what power cooking is... Check out Myron Mixon power cook method.

It was a joke... I know what power cooking is

Comment

It was a joke... I know what power cooking is

You forgot to mention Dr. Pepper or it would have been a little more believable..

Comment

Exactly
                            Always go by internal temp, throw the clock away. A good meat thermometer is priceless.

Comment

This guy [emoji848][emoji848]

Comment

I’m kinda hoping you meant to add a zero to that 10. Well I worked on my patience today and I pulled it at 205 (it wasn’t easy smart but I just had to sit on my hands haha!), it pulled apart a lot easier and was tender/ moist. Still figuring the egg out and have some room for Improvement. Next time with the pork butt or brisket I’m going to inject them. Like I said the pork butt was juicy/tender but it lacked a little bit of flavor to me. My wife liked it and said it was great but when I cook I like it to be perfect.

Comment

Working...
                                X