2017-2018 East Texas Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by C_M_Brown View Post
    Yep hunting a feeder. Havent had time to really scout our area due to work. Third year on this lease and have made 4 hunting trips and that was last season!
    Get off the feeder, even if it's only 50-75 yards away from it, scatter a bag of corn on the ground and face your camera toward the hand corn. You might be surprised what's around and just not hitting your feeder.. good luck

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
      Just want to see if yall had the same kind of days. Wed AM, cool, a little windy, lots of animal activity, deer moving, birds singing...you get the idea.
      Thurs AM, quiet, cool, deathly quiet, no birds singing, nothing but squirrels moving.

Were yalls days the same or was it just mine.
      Wednesday morning it was so bright I cast a shadow all the way to my stand and never used my flashlight. And it was dead calm. I mean the kind of calm you can hear a fly fart at 100 yards. I saw one pig just before daylight but never had a clear shot. Other than 1 squirrel around 9 I never saw anything else.

I had to drive to the other side of the lease around 10:30 that morning and saw 7 deer out running around. Seems they like the areas where the timber has recently been thinned versus the deep woods where I hunt.

I'm going back Sunday after church to freshen my hand-corn pile up then go sit in a tripod so I won't sweat too much the rest of the day. Once that front comes through I'll be in a 22' lean-to Monday morning in a creek bottom over looking that corn pile, and I can't wait.

Comment

Keep yalls fingers crossed. One of my top 2 bucks has been seen by my neighbor crossing my pasture heading to one of my stands/feeders around 7:30 yesterday morning and this morning. Of course I had engagements at work I couldnt miss but maybe he will do it again in the morning.

Comment

When's the rut around the Cleveland area?

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            Well, it's dark... anybody score? I was out spraying my truck down with the pressure washer... gonna FINALLY pick up my new '18 in the morning and turn this one in so I missed a few posts...
            Let's see the new truck.

Comment

Got off work early about to sneak in and pull some cards and put out a lot of hand corn. Hopefully I can put a doe in the freezer.

I haven't seen too many bucks yet. No shooters. But it's been hot and there's plenty of oaks where I'm at. I'm sure they're staying full on acorns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
                Let's see the new truck.
                Just a shiney white King Ranch that will get some dirt on it this weekend I hope... Would love to get blood in the back of this thing soon!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7081.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	24514513

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7082.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	24514514

Comment

Oooooooowwweeeeeee that's nice!

Comment

That is awesome brother. Enjoy!!! God bless.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                      Just a shiney white King Ranch that will get some dirt on it this weekend I hope... Would love to get blood in the back of this thing soon!!

[ATTACH]877288[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]877289[/ATTACH]
                      Nice Truck Go Get a Buck on the tailgate now!
                      Last edited by jjaimes; 10-13-2017, 02:21 PM.

Comment

I know this is going to open a can of worms like broadheads but in this heat how do you cover your scent or what do you do to stay scent free? I hunt in Bell County in Central TX and Harrison County in NETX. I put cedar limbs in a plastic box with my hunting clothes in Bell County but that will not work in NETX. And even when I wash my clothes in Scent Killer they still have a smell after being in that plastic box for a while.

Comment

I know this is going to open a can of worms like broadheads but in this heat how do you cover your scent or what do you do to stay scent free? I hunt in Bell County in Central TX and Harrison County in NETX. I put cedar limbs in a plastic box with my hunting clothes in Bell County but that will not work in NETX. And even when I wash my clothes in Scent Killer they still have a smell after being in that plastic box for a while.
                          So far what has worked for me is Ozonics or the Scent Crusher bag. 3 deer and 2 pigs directly down wind of me have fallen when using these items. I'm a believer

Comment

Originally posted by jjaimes View Post
                            So far what has worked for me is Ozonics or the Scent Crusher bag. 3 deer and 2 pigs directly down wind of me have fallen when using these items. I'm a believer
                            A lot of people swear by it but it is just too expensive for me. Really does seem to work by all of the testimonials.

Comment

A lot of people swear by it but it is just too expensive for me. Really does seem to work by all of the testimonials.
                              What I used to do before this is use some kind of masking scent like Buck Bomb Doe P. I would spray it all over the bottom and around the tree I set up in. I also would use an Autumn/ Earth scent killer and had success with it as well. However, I did get busted more times with that but for the most part it worked well. My cousin used to stick his clothes in corn along with Smoking it which also worked but if he sweated the smell of smoke and must just didn't cooperate well lol. Best thing is to hunt the wind which I still do but I understand sometimes the wind does unpredictable things.

Comment

Its gonna be a warm one in East TX this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X