No announcement yet.

Switching shooting styles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had friends with TP. My younger son had it and could never overcome it. He solved the problem by picking up a rifle.

I acquired it and it is a terrible thing. Some of your better shooters get it. I think it is a combination of putting more stress on yourself trying to win more tournaments, shoot a higher score and just not have fun shooting.

I have watched some shooters at various 3D shoots. I think some of them never were very good shots to begin with so they don't even realize that they have it.

Comment

Rick you are helpful. You helped me see AJs post wasn't a sales pitch. However Rick you are a GOF like me and we show it sometimes.
      [emoji6]
      I don't get how target panic is a thing either. But if it's real to you then that's all that matters.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Gary, I'm not sure what a GOF is, but probably.

I assure you though, I wasn't trying to be anything other than helpful in this topic, and a little explanatory in the defense of AJ, because I knew from the get go what his intent/motives were.

As far as Jeff's (FeatherFlinger's) comment is concerned, I doubt it was pointed at me.

And with that - I am really out of this one now. AJ's topic has been derailed into the next county. AJ, I'm sorry this happened.

Rick

Comment

Grumpy old fart. [emoji33]

Comment

Some of you guys need to lighten up. You don't even know the man. He is a fine old gentleman and really knows his business. You guys disrespecting him would be inflamed if some one treated you the way you have treated him on here. Now, the people that have asked, can see why I seldom post on here any more.

Comment

back button!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AJ the TP Guru View Post
                I'm just curious about something. If you as a trad shooter experienced a severe case of target panic - say, locking up off-target - might you consider switching to shooting pins with a release aid, at least temporarily?

My reason for asking is that I've observed improvement (if not a total cure) for those few guys who have done so, then gone back to their recurve, shooting fingers. However, it's been my experience that trad guys are really reluctant to do so; therefore, I don't have a statistically viable sample to be able to say it's definitely the way to go.

So.... would you?
                Interesting topic and post.

To the point, I actually tried what you are speaking of... A few years ago I was in an auto accident that injured my back. After that my shooting has never been the same. Where I once held anchor for a minimum of 3 seconds, nowadays I'm lucky if I can hold for a second.

I actually picked up a compound bow (all accessories) to see if it would help me to hold longer/ better in my traditional shooting. Strangely enough, I had no problems at all shooting the compound. I could hold the compound as long as I wanted and never felt any rush to shoot.

It seems to me that my problem may simply be pain, my brain is say shoot that arrow now!!! I dropped my bow weight and work out with light weights but it seems that I cannot get back in the groove of smooth shooting.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,
                Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                  Some of you guys need to lighten up. You don't even know the man. He is a fine old gentleman and really knows his business. You guys disrespecting him would be inflamed if some one treated you the way you have treated him on here. Now, the people that have asked, can see why I seldom post on here any more.
                  I like the trad section too much. But recently, I finally broke down and made use of the "ignore" feature. It got to be too much.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                    I like the trad section too much. But recently, I finally broke down and made use of the "ignore" feature. It got to be too much.

So that's why you never respond to my posts anymore! [emoji38][emoji15][emoji15][emoji38]

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                      So that's why you never respond to my posts anymore! [emoji38][emoji15][emoji15][emoji38]

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      LOL! I was thinking I needed to text you to make sure you are alright... been too long since you have had computer, printer, or phone problems

Comment

Originally posted by shortstroke 91 View Post
                        Guys, there was nothing misleading in the original post. If you look at his name and read the question he asked, it can't be too hard to see that he was asking said question in hopes of soliciting information that might help him help other people inflicted with TP.
                        Just a guy looking to see what other people might think could be helpful.

The BUTTHURT is strong today for sure.

Snowflakes unite......
                        I couldn't have said it better myself. Sorry some took offense.

As an old trad guy (in both senses of the word ) I remember in the pre-internet days, guys were highly reluctant to even say the words, TP, much less admit to having had it. And many, myself included, had it but didn't know they had it.

I shot a lot with one fellow who was about 6'6" and carried 33" arrows. Thing is, I bet he never drew one to more than 26" before it was gone. None of his compadres could ever understand why. Yep, as was mentioned by SwampRabbit, snap shooting is just one of many forms of TP.

I started thinking about the idea of switching shooting styles about two years ago when a trad shooter whom I'd failed at helping a few years earlier told me he'd made the switch to a compound with sights, then back again, and was then shooting his recurve reasonably well.

Thing is, very few archers (including the pinshooters) are willing to go the other way, even for just a few months. A few replies to this thread confirms that.

M.E.B. mentioned that his son quit the sport altogether, and picked up a rifle. Unfortunately, that happens all too often. That's why I'd like to be able to encourage more guys to just give the switch a try.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post

It's amazing how one piece of moldy bread can affect the entire loaf. This forum needs guys like you, Rick, Bisch, etc. Objective, informative, positive.

I've never met Rick but from his posts, the last thing I'd ever describe him as, is a "GRUMPY old fart". Quite the opposite.

22 days till dove season. 51 till bow...

Randy

Comment

Ain't nothing wrong with getting older and a little less tolerant of what rubs you wrong. Age and experience in life brings you a little latitude.

Comment

I am neither a trad shooter nor do I have Target Panic; but I am a coach (of sorts) and have seen/coached many people with various manifestations of Target Panic, even trad shooters.

I can honestly say that AJ's method is the fastest and most effective method I have seen for overcoming target panic; not the only way for sure, but it is very effective.

With that said, I would support any effort in gathering information he is making to find a method for other shooting styles; if that is in fact his reason for posting this.

I personally have known people who would do ANYTHING to beat this demon; one person I know even started shooting wrong handed to try and beat it!

If you have never had it then congratulations, I hope you never get it; but it is torture for those who have it and can't enjoy the sport they love.

If I hade target panic and IF I were a trad shooter I would FOR SURE use whatever methods at my disposal for getting rid of it. Remember, it is a training aid, not forever; no one said you could never shoot with fingers and no pins ever again. It's just training wheels, that's all; eventually you get to take them off!

Comment

BTW, if I had an uncontrollable release, I would probably add a clicker and kill 2 birds with one stone as my first attempt.

The clicker would provide a new "trigger" that the subconscious can be retrained to use. The clicker provides a means for a consistent draw and feedback.

Of course, no guarantees with that or any other approach.

Last edited by SwampRabbit; 08-10-2017, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X