No announcement yet.

22-250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Federal Blue box in 55 gr are great for deer, they make a bigger hole then Remington PSP. No need to buy expensive ammo. Trust me I know from experience.

Comment

Stay away from the ballistic tips, they'll kill deer, but you have to take shots like your bow hunting and avoid the shoulder, usually won't get an exit.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
        22-250 is about the funnest gun ever to shoot. My favorite P-dog gun.
        A 36gr Barnes pill will absolutely vaporize the biggest prairie dog.
        Watch this https://youtu.be/P4jQsaqBGOY
        They will splatter a prairie dog. I wasn't impressed with their performance on coyotes though. My uncle loaded some up once. I really like Hornady 52gr. BTHP's for coyotes.

Comment

Two most accurate .22-250 that I have had are both relatively inexpensive rifles. Remington 788 and Savage Axis.

Maybe not the best choice, but I always loaded Sierra 55 grain boat tail hollow point, 37grs. IMR 4895. This load runs at about 3700 fps. This load has always had explosive results on deer. Neck shot or behind the shoulder..... It will liquefy the lungs.

A rancher and elk guide from Montana was telling me about his .338 Lapua. I asked him if the Lapua was his all time favorite elk rifle. He said "Nope. I have killed more elk with a .22-250 that any other rifle. Shoot them in the head. They don't run off and you don't ruin any meat".

Comment

Pick a decent soft point or solid copper like the Barnes and let er rip. Every animal I have shot with the 53 grain Barnes drop like hit by lighting. I don't take head/neck shots, all either high shoulder or behind the shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Pardon my ignorance but how does the 223 stack up against the 22-250?

Comment

Originally posted by coop View Post
                Slower

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
                  Slower

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                  Is that about the only difference?

I have a couple 223s that are extremely accurate and do an excellent job on hogs shot in the head. Would I notice much difference with the 22-250?

I guess what I'm asking is, is the 22-250 that much better round?

Comment

Is that about the only difference?

I have a couple 223s that are extremely accurate and do an excellent job on hogs shot in the head. Would I notice much difference with the 22-250?

I guess what I'm asking is, is the 22-250 that much better round?
                    It'll basically do at 400 yards what a .223 will do at 200 yards. It shoots noticeably flatter. I have and really like both calibers but for a varmint gun the 22-250 is hard to beat in my opinion. It also depends on what you're looking for in a predator/varmint gun. The .223 is noticeably easier on the fur if you skin your coyotes and stuff

Comment

I have a BLR 81 in 22-250. I've killed probably a dozen deer with it. Only one didn't drop in its tracks and that was a high lung shot. I feel pretty confident with it on shots 100 yards and in. I've used hornady 55 grain and federal 60 grain partition. On the range, the 55 grain gave me better groups, but not that big of a difference. I would probably think twice on a shot more than 200 yards.

Comment

I've lost count of how many deer I've killed with the lil 22-250......55gr Sierra game kings & winchester silver tips none have gone more then 25 or 30 steps, with 95% dropping right there like a bolt of lightning hit them....the ones that were not DRT were shot in the pocket behind shoulder, the rest were head & neck shots.....it will make a nasty mess of things in a hurry

Comment

Originally posted by kc5rkg View Post
                          I've been shooting the Barnes Vor-tx in my Tikka 22-250 and it shoots great. I have not taken a deer with it yet, but have shot a few hogs and the 50 grain TSX performed very well.

Have shot tons of javis, yotes, deer and a few pigs in mexico with this load. Great round

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The 22-250 is inherently accurate. I've never heard anyone say, "I couldn't make this P.O.S. shoot accurately." If it were ever uttered, that individual cannot shoot well.

The 223 is getting velocities from 2900-3200 or so. My 22-250 is shooting a 55 gr HPBT at 3813 FPS. The difference in trajectory is substantial.

When I killed that doe at 340 yards, I removed the opposite shoulder and leg with no knife. Just twisted it off. She ran two strides and front flipped into a cedar. It is a vicious sum buck.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                              It'll basically do at 400 yards what a .223 will do at 200 yards. It shoots noticeably flatter. I have and really like both calibers but for a varmint gun the 22-250 is hard to beat in my opinion. It also depends on what you're looking for in a predator/varmint gun. The .223 is noticeably easier on the fur if you skin your coyotes and stuff
                              Thank you for the information. That's exactly what I was wanting to know.

JC

Comment

My son has a Ruger American stainless compact 22-250 i load the 64 gr. Nosler Bonded Performance bullets for it. Holds about a 3/4" 5 shot group.

Comment

Working...
                                X