No announcement yet.

remote tree watering system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, i'm thinking of making a water level device for the lid , using pvc pipes .. one larger one screwed to the lig .. inside , a smaller one with water marks ..and a float .. so as the level goes down .. the pipe goes down and you can see really quick what the level is ...with a little practice , I could really gauge how many gallons of water I'm using ...

it would also serve as a pressure relief ...

Comment

done and installed.... updated pic...

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
        update! well the trees are in the ground.. and the barrels are installed... however it seems like it poured 1/3 of the barrel overnight.. I think the barrels being in the sun all day built up some pressure... so a small pressure relief hole will be needed on top, or run less time...

well , they got a good soaking either way.. got pic on my phone.. will post it later!
        drill a small hole in the lid, pressure won't biuld up

Comment

so far so good .. trees are blooming ! here is an update video of the refilling!
          [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW-r4jKxX6M"]YouTube - tree watering[/ame]

Comment

That is a great idea

Comment

make sure and do something about insects. I did the same thing and the grasshoppers ate my two trees.

Comment

nice job,im trying to figure out something about my garden,its so windy a sprinklers not working

Comment

what kind of fertilizer are you using, a use a root stimulator when i plant new trees.

Comment

Originally posted by paintman View Post
                    nice job,im trying to figure out something about my garden,its so windy a sprinklers not working
                    Try using a drip irrigation, the wind shouldn't be a problem

Comment

i used insecticidal soap for bugs, and root stimulator for the tree roots when i planted.. i'll probably start the first round of fertilizer soon... as far as grass hoppers, I mowed the field so the weeds are knocked down... hopefully that will help as well...

Comment

imyomama, hey sorry man but i used your idea, it works great

Comment

Cool!!! I'm glad my DIY helped someone!! take a pic, and give us updates from time to time! I think it would be helpful to post watering intervals and fertilizing schedules as well... keeping the bugs from eating them is going to be the key!

I already had spiders eating the leaves.. I'm going to keep spraying them with the soap.....

so far I've watered every weekend .. hopefully we'll get some rain! won't be back for 2 weeks...

I leave them on for 3 to 4 hours now... a green grass ring is now forming around them as well ... so I think it's about right!

Comment

Okay, here is a little project I have going this year. Planted 20 Allegheny Chinkapins and Dwarf Chinkapin Oaks for the deer. Both are drought tolerant once established, and produce at an early age. I used 5'x5' squares of black plastic to create a solar still effect, reduce evaporation, and minmize moisture loss due to weed competition. Also planted them with some of the moisture crystals in the hole with the roots. The ground I dished into a bowl shape before the trees went in to help collect runoff.

In the left edge of this next picure you can see my water totes, I use the bottom one for a gravity flow deer waterer on the other side of the brush, and the top one I use to run my gravity flow drip irrigation system for my trees. I use regular drip tubing and emitters, but you need a special timer. The folks that say most timers need about 10psi are correct, except there is one that works on zero pressure. It is made by Holman, and called the low pressure timer (TLP), It is available from a company called Dripworks for $40. Google it, you will find it. I know it will work because I am running two of them for my chinkapins and japanese persimmons. I use the take apart emitters from dripworks too, because if the get clogged you can just take them apart and clean them. Good cheap system that wont run you ragged hauling water.

Comment

4-6 inches of good mulch or hay about 2 feet out all the way around will keep the grass and weeds from competing and conserve your water in a big way. I would hold off on the fertilizing until about this time next year. You are looking for natural deep root growth and the root stimulator you already gave them should be more than ample for this growing season.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodey View Post
                                4-6 inches of good mulch or hay about 2 feet out all the way around will keep the grass and weeds from competing and conserve your water in a big way. I would hold off on the fertilizing until about this time next year. You are looking for natural deep root growth and the root stimulator you already gave them should be more than ample for this growing season.
                                thanks for that .. I was going to go to the nursery to find out... the ground id sandy loam for a little over a foot and turning into clay soon after... i'm hoping this type of soil will be ok...I was told not to mix any potting soil with it, just keep it all the same composition... this is my first try .. i hope it works ...

one of my pecan trees bloomed but the blooms turned brown after a week... not sure if that's normal or not... on the oaks it seems it does that before the leaves come in.. so we'll see in a couple of weeks when i get back over there...

hopefully we got a little rain there last night as well... it has not rained ther in 3 months (callahan county)

Comment

Working...
                                X