Field Dressing Table??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Devin View Post
    They had something similar at the Stasney's Cook ranch we hunted a few times.

[ATTACH]190772[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]190773[/ATTACH]

I can't imagine it being much easier than having one winched vertical, on a gambrel, stabilized from swinging..... but, maybe I'm wrong.

GO JOHNNY GO! I have a freind who has one identical to this, except his is built to fit into a receiver hitch, so you can field dress them in the field by yourself

Comment

I would not mind that at all if you provide the material
      How much do you think it would cost to build one? I'd be willing to pay for it if you would be willing to build it. Or I could probably trade some dove hunts in Pflugerville if you would be willing to do that.

Snipehunter has it right. Put some metal running up the front and back ends, with a small chain on each piece. Wrap the chain around the legs and hook onto the metal bracket.
      This is what I was thinking and to me would be a lot easier than rope or something like that. The only other modification(s) i can think of would be to add some sqare metal plates to set your knives and or beers on. Something like that would be perfect.

Comment

The one i've seen was made out of wood. Mainly 2x4's. Might look into that, could propably save alot of cash!

Comment

Originally posted by Devin View Post
          They had something similar at the Stasney's Cook ranch we hunted a few times.

[ATTACH]190772[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]190773[/ATTACH]

I can't imagine it being much easier than having one winched vertical, on a gambrel, stabilized from swinging..... but, maybe I'm wrong.
          Nothing worse than seeing an animal gutted in camp.

Thank goodness our ranch has a rule against it.

Just have never understood the reason not to field dress and get the guts out prior to bringing it to camp.

Comment

We use one very similar to the one in the pic., but only use it for skinning. It is quicker b/c you can put people on each leg and have it skinned in no time. We then put a rope around the neck and quarter it. We rarely ever gut a deer so that is not a problem. By skinning it on the rack then hanging it to quarter it you can have a deer done in about 15 minutes.

Comment

Here are the pics thanks to the wife

Here is the one that I use!!
              Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030550.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	23954676

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030551.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	23954677

Comment

Just have never understood the reason not to field dress and get the guts out prior to bringing it to camp.
                You serious? Do you hunt with a bunch of PETA folks? Gutting a deer in camp is a thousand times easier with the proper equipment. I very rarely even take a knife to the stand. I keep all of my gutting and skinning essentials at camp. We dump the guts in a bucket (actually an old feed barrel) and then haul them away from camp. Why make things harder on yourself if you don't have to?

Comment

Originally posted by TexasCanesFan View Post

What, Your lease has a rule against gutting a deer in camp?
                  I have never seen a person in my 22 years of hunting gut a deer or animal in the woods. Why would you want to get full of blood and have that all over the bed of your truck or 4 wheeler when you can pull up to the skinning shed and have a nice sink to clean up in while you gut?

And whats with the mad faces, it really makes you mad to see a deer gutted in camp? Exactly how many camps have you been to where this was not allowed?
                  Last edited by RaginCagin; 09-23-2010, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by TexasCanesFan View Post

Why in the world would you have a rule against or have something against gutting an animal in camp? The guts go into the gut bucket and then they go to the gut pile. I have a LOT of good memories standing around an animal hanging in camp while gutting it.

I have heard of people not allowing animals to be gutted in the field, but I can't say that I have ever heard of a rule where you can't gut in camp.

Comment

Snipehunter, that would definitely work except I think I would want it a little longer and don't think I would need the angle since I have the winch. Of course I'm also looking at the one in Devin's pictures and thinking how cool that would be with a telescopping leg on one end to go from level to angled.

Comment

I agree with TCF on this one. It takes maybe 15 minutes to gut a deer in the field. I have a buddy that can do it in 5 but I guess I'm just slow. I haven't gutted a deer in camp in years. Why would you want to haul the deer & guts back to camp, hang the deer, gut the deer, load up gut bucket in something, then go dump guts somewhere. That has to take more than 15 minutes.

A buck you want to have mounted is a totally different deal.
                          Last edited by BrianL; 09-23-2010, 08:47 AM. Reason: Used wrong quote

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
                            Snipehunter, that would definitely work except I think I would want it a little longer and don't think I would need the angle since I have the winch. Of course I'm also looking at the one in Devin's pictures and thinking how cool that would be with a telescopping leg on one end to go from level to angled.
                            Mine has a pin in it so that it will swivel if you need it to. You can also adjust the angle by about 5 inches starting from a flat surface. My dog likes to lick the deer tounge while I work to, so the head hanging does not bother me. My wife always gets the dog kisses afterwards though and she hates it

Comment

That looks good Devin, and it also gives me some ideas.

I like to field dress an animal in the field. But we also like to bring in our deer to get an on the hoof weight.

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn
                                So how do you keep the deer clean on the inside when loading it and getting it back to camp? How do you clean up and keep your truck from getting dirty/bloody on the inside? Don't you get blood, etc on your hunting clothes and boots? What do you do in the dark (there is light at camp)? It doesn't really take any more time to do it at camp plus you can change clothers and start your fire before you gut your animal and then when you are done your fire is ready to throw the steaks on.
                                I shoot 99% of my doe on morning hunts, so I have daylight track if needed and get quartered and in the cooler. Just the way I have always done it. I might get a little blood on a pant leg, but I'm not covered up in blood. I do use those long gloves. I carry a pair of those and a pair of regular rubber gloves all the time. I will get more blood on me when it is hanging and I'm quartering for the cooler than gutting. There will be some blood in the back of the ATV(mini truck) but not much more, if any, than there would be from draining out the wound.
                                Last edited by BrianL; 09-23-2010, 10:01 AM. Reason: Because it's harder to use rudder than rubber gloves

Comment

Working...
                                X