Cottonseed Vs. Protein Vs. Other

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cottonseed Vs. Protein Vs. Other

We are going to add supplemental feeding to our lease this year and would like some advice. What are the reasons others go with CS instead of protein? Is it a cost difference, ease of filling feeders, not having to buy a protein feeder, results? I was the only one who fed protein this year for a short time and the deer took to it like crazy. Now that we plan to stay on the place we want to get everyone on the same page and grow a better herd.

We have L/E in George West but have not seen anywhere on the way that sells CS. I can figure up the costs to feed a 16% or 20% from L/E but I don't know prices on CS or any other good protein sources.

Any info would be beneficial so that we can be ready to get something going after the season. By the way we are down HWY 16 in between Freer and Hebronville.

The only way to buy cotton seed is in bulk from some of the cotton Gins .
    The feed store in Freer sells it in 50 LB bags but is pretty pricey
    You may be a little late down your way to buy it from the Gins down your way.
    Not sure what a ton of cotton seed is going for now. It's a good bit cheaper than a ton of protein but a little harder to handle. Price of cotton seed by the ton depends on whether texas has a big cotton crop

Comment

We get cottonseed for $200/ton right now. Protein pellets is normally around $10/bag or around $360-$400 per ton so there’s definite cost savings. We used to feed around 20,000lbs of pellets per year but now we feed around 14,000lbs of pellets with our Krivoman times feeders and feed around 8,000lbs of cottonseed per year. I think they are great to feed together. Cottonseed is high fat, high protein and highly digestible. Protein pellets are highly digestible, 20% protein and have great vitamins and minerals. I’ve never fed cotttonsesd by itself but I’m sure a lot of people do it with great results. For me, I like to know that there are a number of different choices. Another great thing is that If a dominant buck is at the protein feeder our younger bucks can go to the cottonseed feeder so a lot of the younger bucks are able to eat.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhunter82 View Post
        We are going to add supplemental feeding to our lease this year and would like some advice. What are the reasons others go with CS instead of protein? Is it a cost difference, ease of filling feeders, not having to buy a protein feeder, results? I was the only one who fed protein this year for a short time and the deer took to it like crazy. Now that we plan to stay on the place we want to get everyone on the same page and grow a better herd.

We have L/E in George West but have not seen anywhere on the way that sells CS. I can figure up the costs to feed a 16% or 20% from L/E but I don't know prices on CS or any other good protein sources.

Any info would be beneficial so that we can be ready to get something going after the season. By the way we are down HWY 16 in between Freer and Hebronville.
        About how far South of town are you? We are on 16 between Freer and Habbronville as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
          We get cottonseed for $200/ton right now. Protein pellets is normally around $10/bag or around $360-$400 per ton so there’s definite cost savings. We used to feed around 20,000lbs of pellets per year but now we feed around 14,000lbs of pellets with our Krivoman times feeders and feed around 8,000lbs of cottonseed per year. I think they are great to feed together. Cottonseed is high fat, high protein and highly digestible. Protein pellets are highly digestible, 20% protein and have great vitamins and minerals. I’ve never fed cotttonsesd by itself but I’m sure a lot of people do it with great results. For me, I like to know that there are a number of different choices. Another great thing is that If a dominant buck is at the protein feeder our younger bucks can go to the cottonseed feeder so a lot of the younger bucks are able to eat.
          This is good info. I also plan to cut the tubes off of my 1K protein feeder and install the hammer to help. Seems like just finding the supplier and a way to transport is the hardest part about CS. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by freerhunter16 View Post
            About how far South of town are you? We are on 16 between Freer and Habbronville as well.
            Turn on CR 310 and down that ways a bit.

Comment

Get a trailer, put a tarp down, have them load the CS, pull tarp over CS and bungee it down...Drive to lease and shovel it back into the feeder
              Attached Files

Comment

They even work laying on their side LOL

Comment

I feed straight CS. Used to do both, but was losing A Lot of protein to non target animals. Haven't lost #s or quality of bucks

Comment

Are the cotton seed and cotton seed "Hulls" the same thing? Local feed/seed store I use said they have CS Hulls in 45# bags for $14.75. Doesn't sound like the same stuff y'all are feeding but I could be wrong...That's higher than protein I usually buy in 50# bags

Comment

Cottonseed hulls and cottonseed are not the same. Cottonseed hulls are the seed coating from the cottonseed so they don't have the nutritional oils. Cottonseed hulls are used mostly in the southern area of the U.S. They are low in protein, calcium, phosphorus and energy and high in fiber. Cottonseed hulls are palatable and are used as a roughage for cattle, especially in areas where good quality forages are scarce. They occasionally are included in grain mixes to increase the bulk density and crude fiber content. They can be helpful in supporting fat test in low fiber or low roughage rations.

Typical Analysis for Cottonseed Hulls:
                      Dry matter 91 %
                      Crude Protein 03.7 %
                      Fat 01.5 %
                      Crude fiber 44.0 %
                      Neutral Detergent Fiber 81.9 %
                      Acid Detergent Fiber 66.4 %
                      Calcium 00.1 %
                      Phosphorus 00.1 %
                      Total Digestible Nutrients 40.0 %
                      Net energy—Lactation 40.4 Mcal/100 lbs

Comment

cotton seed hulls is what's left after they crush the cotton seed and make cotton seed oil and other products Don't think the hulls will have as much food value or protein

Comment

We have been looking into cotton seed as well. Our biggest issue has been finding a supplier near us

Comment

Thanks...I didn't think they were what we were discussing

Comment

Working...
                            X