Specialized Bike experts and MTBers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Specialized Bike experts and MTBers

I have a Specialized Hardrock. I previously had an Enduro. I am not happy with the shift levels and derailleurs compared to the Enduro. I don't need that nice of a bike, but I was curious how much better the Rockhopper is over the Hardrock.

My 2003 Rockhopper came with Deore/LX components, but it seems like the components went down to Acera level on later models to keep the price under control. My current 2011 Rockhopper 29er has Deore level, which is fine for what I do, but I believe the previous owner upgraded over what the bike woulda come with standard.

BTW, lots of great bikes out there and probably some that are better than the Rockhopper, but I love the Rockhopper. Given how hard I've crashed on it I am very impressed with its durability and ability to stay tuned and smooth even after a beating.

Comment

Are you talking current model year?

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
        My 2003 Rockhopper came with Deore/LX components, but it seems like the components went down to Acera level on later models to keep the price under control. My current 2011 Rockhopper 29er has Deore level, which is fine for what I do, but I believe the previous owner upgraded over what the bike woulda come with standard.

BTW, lots of great bikes out there and probably some that are better than the Rockhopper, but I love the Rockhopper. Given how hard I've crashed on it I am very impressed with its durability and ability to stay tuned and smooth even after a beating.
        I agree they are finely engineered machines. I wish I had my Enduro back, but I was offered $300 less than what I paid for it new and couldn't not sell it at the time. It was an impressive beast that goes beyond most people's comprehension. I also do not ride that kind of stuff anymore. The falls are too damaging and frequent.

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
        Are you talking current model year?
        I have I believe a 2012 29er disc Hardrock. I would be looking at a new Rock Hopper.

Comment

When I rode a lot (a while ago.) I always bought a bike based on the components more than anything else. I would find a frame I liked and then I would buy the model that gave me the components I wanted. The funny part was that I usually like the components that were top end - 1. For instance, on Shimano, these were the ultegra line (might be showing my age.) They required little to no maintenance and were practically bomb proof. But the Dura-ace wasn't worth it because they constantly needed attention.

Also, and I can't stress this enough, learn how to work on your own bike and pay very close attention to how the cables are cut and routed. Once you learn how to replace cable/housing and tune the shifter/derailer, you will be able to just deal with any nuisances that come with the different rated components. I've seen so many tight loops on derailer cables and that just makes the shifting so crappy. So many folks don't know how to align and adjust their shifting system and it all falls apart.

If you shifting gets funky on a ride, you should be able to adjust it without getting off the bike if you know how, or at least get off and adjust it in a matter of a minute (if it is really bad.)

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
            When I rode a lot (a while ago.) I always bought a bike based on the components more than anything else. I would find a frame I liked and then I would buy the model that gave me the components I wanted. The funny part was that I usually like the components that were top end - 1. For instance, on Shimano, these were the ultegra line (might be showing my age.) They required little to no maintenance and were practically bomb proof. But the Dura-ace wasn't worth it because they constantly needed attention.

Also, and I can't stress this enough, learn how to work on your own bike and pay very close attention to how the cables are cut and routed. Once you learn how to replace cable/housing and tune the shifter/derailer, you will be able to just deal with any nuisances that come with the different rated components. I've seen so many tight loops on derailer cables and that just makes the shifting so crappy. So many folks don't know how to align and adjust their shifting system and it all falls apart.

If you shifting gets funky on a ride, you should be able to adjust it without getting off the bike if you know how, or at least get off and adjust it in a matter of a minute (if it is really bad.)
            The shift levers are really cheap on the Hardrock. For the cost of a better set of components, I could pretty much buy a new Rockhopper. I'm just not smart enough to understand what components are good.

Comment

So, as others have mentioned, you are talking about components. Need to know what you have on your Hardrock compared to what you would get on the Rockhopper. For Shimano I'd want SLX or better. For SRAM I'd say X7 or better.

Overall the Rockhopper is going to be a better quality frame allowing you to upgrade in the future. Specialized makes some pretty solid stuff.

Comment

I run all SRAM XO components on my Niner. This is my second set of SRAM components and I can say Ill never buy the cheap or mid range components again.

LWR2

Comment

I was testing a surly single speed karate monkey a couple months back. I asked if they could put some gears if the ss was not working out. The shop said they could set me up with quality components for about 300.00.

Comment

Frame Specialized A1 Premium butted-aluminum
                    Fork SR SunTour, 80mm-travel
                    Rims/Wheels Alex HR disc 29
                    Hubs Aluminum
                    Spokes 14g stainless-steel
                    Tires Specialized Fast Trak LK Sport, 29 x 2.0
                    Crankset SR SunTour
                    Chainrings 42/32/22
                    Front Derailleur Shimano Altus
                    Rear Derailleur SRAM X-3
                    Rear Cogs Shimano, 7-speed: 12-32
                    Shifters SRAM X-3
                    Handlebars Aluminum riser
                    Tape/Grips Specialized Enduro, dual-compound
                    Stem Aluminum
                    Brake Levers Aluminum
                    Brakes Tektro Novela mechanical-disc
                    Pedals Composite platform
                    Saddle Specialized Body Geometry Hardrock
                    Seatpost Aluminum

Specs for my 2012 Hardrock

Comment

I can't say a whole lot about individual components. Just bike buying advice.

Bikes, like everything else, depreciate a ton. There are also lots of "go-getters" who purchase bikes thinking they are going to be mountain bikers, then it doesn't work out. What I am getting at is........craigslist. You can get a really nice bike from someone for almost half price. I was looking at new Hardrocks and ended up with a Carve for way less. The guy met me at a bike shop for prior inspection before I bought it.

Base your offers off of https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/

Don't be afraid to "low ball" someone whos asking too much. People get a little upset when they spend 2k on a bike, and realize its only worth 1k by the next year. 750 by the following.

Just copy and paste the link of the blue book.

(Its also fun to look up all your old bikes to see "what its worth")
                      Last edited by JoseyWales82; 03-20-2017, 09:59 AM.

Comment

My first MTB long ago was the Hardrock. I grew up racing BMX and jumping things is good times for me. I snapped my hardrock frame at the neck jumping off a 3 foot ledge. That frame is too thin for me in doing anything other than normal trail riding. I currently own a Specialized P3, Epic and Allez. Just sold my Stumpjumper not long ago and it was one the best all around bikes for the price I've ever had. Definitely agree with above, upgrade those components to SLX or better.

Comment

I also tested a specialized fuse comp plus. It had the upgraded specs but it just did not feel right to me.

I ended purchasing a new bike off of pink bike classifieds. Saved me just over 150 bucks even with shipping plus I did not pay a 7.35% sales tax. The local shops did not have the size frame I needed and would not get it in until late April.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                            I also tested a specialized fuse comp plus. It had the upgraded specs but it just did not feel right to me.

I ended purchasing a new bike off of pink bike classifieds. Saved me just over 150 bucks even with shipping plus I did not pay a 7.35% sales tax. The local shops did not have the size frame I needed and would not get it in until late April.
                            I got $700 off the Enduro and $150 off the Hardrock, so I know there is wiggle room. I worry about the beating used bikes take, but I'll check out the site.

Comment

I forgot to mention I did replace the cassette and chain. There was some rust from when the bike got wet and I did not dry and oil it. That did not help.

Comment

Working...
                              X