No announcement yet.

Help, 6x6 post cracked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All thread and pull it back together. Then caulk the seems. Should last for years. JMO.

Comment

Drill a hole at the end of each crack slightly larger than the crack. This will stop the crack from expanding, then use a banding machine and band the cracked portion together. But replacing it completely would be a better bet.

Comment

If you do not want to replace the 4x5, Caulk the crack and cover that side with a 1"x4".

Comment

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
          I wouldn't do a thing to it except apply some stain/sealer. Let it ride and replace it in 15-20 years.
          Winner!

Aint going nowhere, look behind you- you have a crack as well. Promise its stronger than 2 -2×4s thats what hold up most porches.

Does a second floor sit on it?
          Are you on the coast = 120 mph winds?
          If not its all good

Comment

Flex Seal!

Comment

I appreciate all the advice. I have plenty of good options to weigh now and decide which route to take. It did just stand up to Harvey, so I’ll prolly just try one of the temporary fixes for now and replace at a later time. It’s supporting the roof for my carport, so there’s not a high weight bearing load... But high value objects are stored below lol

Comment

As stated above.... Its probably just fine.... Just drying out.

Comment

Use some urethane caulk, same product used on concrete tilt walls. It's paintable and will not crack or shrink. Unless your a pro use tape and mask off both sides, caulk smooth and remove tape. Then paint the beam. Home Depot sells sika caulk in the masonry/concrete section but they prob only have white and lonestone(grey). Sherwin williams has a urethane called loxon and may have some color varieties if you don't want to paint. I wouldn't worry about bolting or splicing, those pressure treated timbers crack vertically all the time.

Comment

If it was mine I would fill with gorilla glue as directed and use at least 3, maybe up to 6 big c-clamps and close it back up. Get a few 4" long deck screws and put in from each side. Allow drying for 36 hours before removing the c-clamps.

Comment

Those posts crack all of the time once they dry good. I wouldn’t worry about the structural integrity of it (especially on a carport). Only issue would be if you want to fix due to cosmetic issues.

- I don’t chase dreams, I HUNT goals

Comment

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
                        I wouldn't do a thing to it except apply some stain/sealer. Let it ride and replace it in 15-20 years.
                        Winner.

Comment

Fill the cracks with turquoise, stain the wood, and call it art on Pinterest.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                            Fill the cracks with turquoise, stain the wood, and call it art on Pinterest.
                            haha this is great!

Comment

Wood filler is your friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X