Will Cell Booster Help with Metal Roof?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The wife and I are looking at putting a metal roof on the house we are building, but concerned about the phone signal. Where we currently live the metal roof kills the phone signal. We will have wifi, but traditional phone calls are no go. I randomly get voicemails without my phone ringing all the time. The signal right outside is great LTE but you have to get near a window to pick it up. Where we are building also has great reception outside, but I am sure the roof will mess it up.

Will the cell boosters fix this problem? I see alot of people using them for poor reception, but haven't seen folks talking about using one just for the metal roof. Also, if there is a better alternative to the WeBoost type systems, I am all ears.

yes it will because the receiving antenna is on the outside of the building and then wired to a booster and antenna inside the home. The metal roof will severely degrade regular service though without a booster.

Comment

Yes, it will fix your problem.

Comment

now that I stated that... If you are buying an entry level booster that is an all in one unit then yes the metal roof will hurt. You can put it in a window seal that is facing a cell tower however you are still pretty hampered by obstacles and the metal roof.

Comment

We put a metal roof on and I now have bad cell service. Anyone have any suggestions on what brand ??

Comment

We have a metal roof and don't need a booster in the house, FYI.

Comment

I can get a few more of these now since a little time has passed. I mention in the original post that the free meter is worth $100. Its actually $250 on Amazon... Shipping is $35.

Last edited by BuckRage; 06-21-2018, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Yes or you can use WiFi calling that works well also

Comment

Get the big residential unit from Weboost. Has an internal antenna and external antenna. Metal roof it works fine. We have one on our deer lease house with metal roof and went from no bars to normally 4 bars with it on.

Comment

I bought the $550 weboast unit and it has worked great for us. I highly recommend it.

-john

Comment

Originally posted by SolocamShooter View Post
                      Yes or you can use WiFi calling that works well also
                      This^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Duzy View Post
                        This^^^^
                        Its more about the calls coming in. I use Facetime Audio to make outbound calls alot. Is that what you are referring to as wifi calls?

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
                          Its more about the calls coming in. I use Facetime Audio to make outbound calls alot. Is that what you are referring to as wifi calls?
                          On an AT&T iPhone:

Settings
                          Cellular
                          Wi-Fi Calling ON

Some phones and/or providers require you to call in to set it up.

We have a metal building at work. No service to one bar. Tried an antenna booster and would get 1-2 bars but calls would still drop. Someone told me about Wi-Fi calling and how to turn it on. Zero issues at all!

Comment

Yes it will work . That’s what it does. Our whole lease cabin is made of metal. It takes the very small signal outside and boosts it inside to 4 bars LTE. I have the WeBoost 470103 for 5000 sqft... but they didn’t have the 1500 sqft one available at the time. I’d have bought the smaller the cabin if they did. It was one of the best adds to the lease we have made.

Here is my update thread.

Last edited by Smart; 06-22-2018, 07:49 AM.

Comment

I'm a believer in a good cell booster. We have a place north of I-10 between Roosevelt and Sonora, and we lose service approximately 10 miles from the ranch. A cell booster gives us 3 bars of LTE in and around the house.

Comment

Working...
                              X