No announcement yet.

Giant 8pt. Can’t find.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He is probably still alive the hit is probably higher then what you are thinking it was !

Comment

In, good luck finding him

Comment

If you hit him where you think you did then he is dead.. I've seen a fatally wounded, big mature, double lung shot buck run 400+ yards before and he stopped bleeding after the first 100. It's unexplainable but it happens..

Comment

It all happens so fast.
          In my experience, fatal hits on bucks don’t result with tail up exits.
          It’s half way up, I know it’s a small detail, but significant.

Decent chance it wasn’t a lethal hit.

Keep your head up, we’ve all been there.
          Good luck.

Comment

I appreciate all of the encouragement guys. It would have been my biggest buck to date and my first buck with my bow. That makes it just a tad bit harder lol. You learn something new every hunt if you pay close enough attention to the details.

Comment

Were you on the ground or elevated? How long did you wait before you started looking?

I agree with the other guys that the tail high is not usually a fatal hit and I do know the feeling, part of it but really sucks.

Comment

Check the river.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

Better luck next time. It does suck to lose one.

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
                    Were you on the ground or elevated? How long did you wait before you started looking?

I agree with the other guys that the tail high is not usually a fatal hit and I do know the feeling, part of it but really sucks.
                    I was elevated about 20 feet off the ground. But he stepped out on a ridge in front of me so really it was probably equal to 10ft. waited 4 hours before starting the track. I didn't want the meat to ruin and I didn't think he went far.
                    Last edited by Setxbowhunter58; 10-16-2018, 08:44 AM.

Comment

This deer was a quartering away shot at 20 yards... 5 weeks later, he was shot with a gun... arra still in him. He was chasing does and coming to feeders regularly. Arra did not penetrate body cavity but went in and deflected between the shoulder and rib cage... Even in the video it appeared to be a great shot... we were high-fiving and all... After a mile track with my dog, we jumped the deer and never found another drop of blood... Didn't have a clue what happened until we started to get pics of him a week later... Took 4 more weeks to get a shot on him...

Click image for larger version

Name:	MDGC0377.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	24556395

Click image for larger version

Name:	MDGC0242.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	24556396

Hope you have a similar outcome!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                        This deer was a quartering away shot at 20 yards... 5 weeks later, he was shot with a gun... arra still in him. He was chasing does and coming to feeders regularly. Arra did not penetrate body cavity but went in and deflected between the shoulder and rib cage... Even in the video it appeared to be a great shot... we were high-fiving and all... After a mile track with my dog, we jumped the deer and never found another drop of blood... Didn't have a clue what happened until we started to get pics of him a week later... Took 4 more weeks to get a shot on him...

[ATTACH]929164[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]929166[/ATTACH]

Wow. That is nutzzz. I'm praying for the same.

Comment

[ATTACH]929164[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]929166[/ATTACH]

That is absolutely wild

Comment

[ATTACH]929164[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]929166[/ATTACH]

Wow that is crazy, some tuff animals

Comment

Cool pics Charlie. It's amazing how tough a deer is.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                                I bet you hit him a little higher than you think. He will be back in a couple of weeks with a little scab in his backstraps. Tail high when running is a non vital hit. He probably ducked from the sound causing tge higj hit. Next time aim a little lower.
                                I agree with this. Been there done that. My second biggest deer to date was shot the year before I shot him. High backstrap hit, which caused him to disappear the rest of the season. The next year he showed up like normal and I killed him opening day. We were unsure if it was him because he gained 10", and we couldn't see a scar on camera. Once he hit the ground we could clearly see the broadhead scar in the backstrap.

Comment

Working...
                                X