Giant 8pt. Can’t find.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giant 8pt. Can’t find.

Saturday evening at 5:45pm I had a GIANT 8 walk up behind me at about 30 yards. He turned around and started walking away. Hit my grunt call 2 times and he turned around and made a b-line right towards me. He stepped out at 20 yards and I hit him about 2” behind the shoulder. Didn’t get a pass through. From the looks of the arrow in him when he was running off, it looked like it went through and stuck in his other shoulder. BTW I’m shooting slick trick magnums. I was extremely confident in my shot placement. Saw him run for about 100 yard out of my sight. He was booking it with his tail up. Tracked all night long and all day Sunday with a lot of help and found nothing. Found 2 drops of blood. I’m guessing the arrow was plugging the hole??? Did a grid search and looked everywhere for hours. I’m wondering if that deer is dead, will he start to smell where I can smell him far enough away. I don’t know what to do. I’m so down on myself and I haven’t slept in 3 days. It’s the worse possible feeling in the world. Any advice/knowledge or past experiences that any of you TBH’s have I would greatly appreciate it.

The first thing I would have done was call a good dog.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
      The first thing I would have done was call a good dog.
      I did that. started raining Saturday night and it couldn’t pick up a scent trail

Comment

well I guess in that case if he is dead, you better pray you stumble on him. Where in the state do you hunt? Have the buzzards already migrated?

Comment

Says he hunts in East Texas. ET buzzards are here all winter, but with this cool weather the coyotes will probably clean him up overnight. Sorry for your luck OP. You say it looked to be stuck in the offside shoulder. That sounds like quartering away shot that may have only caught one lung. If it was high enough he could run a long way. He might even survive. Without a dog and decent tracking conditions, you probably won't find him unless you're very lucky. Not what you wanted to hear, but that's the way I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
            well I guess in that case if he is dead, you better pray you stumble on him. Where in the state do you hunt? Have the buzzards already migrated?
            Between using slicktricks and buzzard migration, you're screwed

On a serious note, reading your story it sounds like it's a dead deer, just a matter of finding him. The rain aspect really hurt your chances. Best I can tell you is grid search some by close bedding areas and watch for buzzards. I lost my biggest bow buck and it really hurt. I still get mad thinking about it. Best of luck in your search.

Comment

Have you had him on trail cam before? Maybe somehow you get lucky and he survives and you get another chance at him. That’s the tough part of hunting. Good luck and I’m hoping for a good outcome for you.

Comment

You may have needed a better dog. If you tracked him initially then there had to have been a blood trail right? Your best bet was a dog as soon as you realized you couldn't find it.

I'd stay out there and listen for the coyotes

Good luck
                Last edited by AntlerCollector; 10-16-2018, 03:32 AM.

Comment

Hopefully you will find him and recover the rack. Best of luck to you.

Comment

Sounds like a dead deer, to me if you hit him, just as/where you said.
                    Hope you find the rack........

Comment

To me it sounds like you probably hit him in the spine or high enough to miss the good stuff and he will be chasing does in a few days.

Comment

Sounds like a dead deer. There are much worse things in life to lose sleep over, deer ain’t one of them for me.

Comment

I bet you hit him a little higher than you think. He will be back in a couple of weeks with a little scab in his backstraps. Tail high when running is a non vital hit. He probably ducked from the sound causing tge higj hit. Next time aim a little lower.

Comment

Giant 8pt. Can’t find.

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                            I bet you hit him a little higher than you think. He will be back in a couple of weeks with a little scab in his backstraps. Tail high when running is a non vital hit. He probably ducked from the sound causing tge higj hit. Next time aim a little lower.

The tail up and lack of blood where red flags to me too. When they are hurting they run either tail tucked right usually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
                              The tail up and lack of blood where red flags to me too. When they are hurting they run either tail tucked right usually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              I hope this is the case. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X