Robert E. Lee High School offensive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
    Those are individuals - they were not a representation of the entire group of Union forces.
    Originally posted by jer_james View Post
    If you dont want to see a difference, then that's up to you.

Individual acts as opposed to an entire system representation of oppression are different to most.
    So then the Democratic party and everything represented by it should be abolished and torn down, renamed, etc.... Since they were fighting for the same general things. Slavery, racism, etc.......

Right, they are a representation of an entire group, an entire system representation of oppression.

Seems to fit the logic you are using.

Comment

Since the post above all I hear is.........

Crickets.......

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
        So then the Democratic party and everything represented by it should be abolished and torn down, renamed, etc.... Since they were fighting for the same general things. Slavery, racism, etc.......

Right, they are a representation of an entire group, an entire system representation of oppression.

Seems to fit the logic you are using.
        What an incredible point.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
          Many in Tyler have said that if REL's name is changed, that the other high school (John Tyler) be changed as well ALONG with the entire city name.

What fires me up about this more than anything is the person leading this. He has ZERO ties to Tyler or Robert E. Lee High School. He moved here and stirred up this **** show. I have talked to him on a few different occasions and he only replies that the school's name is racist and we (those who oppose the change) are racist for not wanting to change the name. I have spoken to friends and coworkers (white, black, hispanic) who all think it's ridiculous to change the name. Some went to REL, some to John Tyler and others from outside of Tyler.
          I think you should get a group together and run the jerk out of town

Comment

Just stupid. Things happened hundreds of years ago that we had no part of. Sorry it happened but spend the money on school safety for all students.

Comment

Out of all the things there are in the world to be offended by or worried about this is what we're focused on? Changing the name of a school...ha!....yeah ok. Instead of changing the name of the school maybe buy a metal detector for the kids to walk through when they get there so maybe,just maybe they won't get shot up by a lunatic.

If a school named after someone that's been dead for years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years, is on your list of things to worry about you HAVE to get a hobby. Because that's stupid.

Although I envy anyone that has that kind of time on their hands. I wish I could just sit at home all day and think of ways to be offended and cry about things that have nothing to do with me or anyone in present day America.
              Last edited by okrattler; 06-14-2018, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Da' Hitman View Post
                Just a nugget to ponder....

Would you expect surviving Jews and their children in Germany to attend Hitler HS or walk by statues of Gestapo soldiers? I once heard a man make this anology and it completely changed my mind on this issue. I am not personally offended by statues or building names, but i can't just poo-poo away someone else feeling tormented by confederate tributes
                If someone's old enough to remember the Civil War I could understand. But there isn't anyone that is. I don't care who did what to who. I don't owe nobody nothin. If you ain't ever seen a cotton field,let alone walked out in one and picked some of it I don't wanna hear it.

At some point every race and type of human being possible was treated unfairly. The past is the past....
                Last edited by okrattler; 06-14-2018, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Why is this garbage not throw out of our court rooms?? Why are there lawyers backing this crap??

Comment

Too many liberal judges. Too many greedy lawyers trying to make a name for themselves.

Shame it’s happening in Texas. More liberal nut jobs moving here everyday trying to turn it into the ****hole they left. Defies all logic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

They changed the name of Robert E Lee St downtown a few weeks ago

Comment

The only arguments here that make any sense to me are wanting to not waste the money on a name change and there being bigger fish to fry in the world than being offended by a school name.

I sure don’t understand why people seem to think that changing the name of a school erases history from the history books. Poorly written history books erase history, not a school name change.

I also don’t understand the argument of “slavery is bad, but it nobody should be offended by slave holder’s names” argument.

I say, figure out all the biggr problmes of the world first, then spend a million dollars on this once there is no possible thing that the money would be better spent on (like that would ever happen).
                        Last edited by MetalMan2004; 06-14-2018, 07:13 PM.

Comment

So what about all of those pesky slave owner presidents this country has had? Guess we're gonna have to take their face off of any currency and replace it with Obama's face since we're so sorry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                            This stuff will NEVER end because much of the current, younger generation are fed liberal BS in school and they believe it. Actual history is not being taught because professors are allowed to share their personal opinions rather than the truth. Confront a tenured professor about the truth and you'll likely receive a failing grade for insubordination.

Kids today (16-25 yr olds) wanna be a part of "change" and will stand for anything that liberates them from the past. If someone feels "oppressed", left-wingers will jump on the band wagon to make sure their voice is heard regardless of what the facts are.
                            Blake you are 100% on the money!!

Comment

I'm by no means racist but, had the African ancestors not been slaves, most African American people would still be in Africa fighting lions with sticks and flies with some sort of leaves. If people who have ancestors that were slave owners would throw the same fit, we would be changing the street name "Martin Luther King" in every town in America!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

When slavery comes up I wish 2 facts would be stated on a regular basis. #1, Africans enslaved the black man and sold him off to the slave traders. #2, The first American slave owner was a black man

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X