No announcement yet.

A Date with Destiny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been asked if this story is real, and what I can say is this. The buck is real, as well as the rifle. I am real as well. So are my Father-in-law, and my son. The Woods is a real place, one that I enjoy very much. The depictions and events that are a portrayed are a pretty accurate rendition of what actually took place, though perhaps some literary license was taken for the sake of the story. The only thing I really don’t know for sure is if the buck I have pictures of in 2007, is the same buck I have pictures of last week. It may not be the same buck, but the Ghost was old, and had escaped detection for a long time, and it sure could be him. Whether he was a ghost or just a wandering buck, I will never know for sure. That is part of the riddle. I prefer to remember it the way I wrote it at any rate, if just for the sake of the tale. Prove me wrong and I will change it.

The idea for the story began after I tried to write a short e-mail story about the hunt. It seemed the story rapidly outgrew the scope of the original idea, and began to take on a life of its own. What you see now is a fairly complete story which will be refined and fleshed out in more detail. When it is done I plan for it to be a Christmas gift for my Father-in-Law. TBH has been the sounding board for the story line, and I appreciate the encouragement you guys have given me.

There is one TBH’er that has a picture of The Ghost and the Winchester on his cell phone, taken while he is still in the woods, before he was ever moved. I looked back, and that message left my phone at 4:34 pm. Here’s at you Robert, you had the exclusive. It was a picture similiar to this, but still inside the woods with leaves all around.

Comment

Thats good stuff right there.Awesome writing skills.

Comment

Thanks for writing that, Jethro. Great stuff!

Comment

All I can say is this is PURE GREATNESS... Thanks for sharing Jethro...

Comment

Wow! Thank you for the awesome story! Congrats on your trophy.

Comment

With my 3 year old daughter, who is already hooked. She just HAD to be in the picture. I also had to drive out past Marilla before I went home, my son was stripping cotton for his uncle and just had to see it. The legend lives strong with him as well.

For the record. I really thought about NOT posting pictures. Sometimes a story looses it's charm when it changes from fiction into fact. But, I posted them anyways. We all know the rule around THB, no pics, it didn't happen!

Comment

That is one awesome story and excellent spin on the words, Jeff! You really should consider sending in to some magazines. I remember when you built that Eiffel Tower of a ladder stand . Didn't it take half the town of Wellington to erect it? You also know I have to ask...was this in the hidey hole?

Originally posted by BIG_IRON View Post
                I had a date with Destiny once but I think that was just her stage name
                That's funny stuff, right there!

Originally posted by HandiKap Bowhunter View Post
                X2 I bet it was the same girl!!!
                Yeah...you and several thousand others!

Comment

Jethro - Bravo! You have mad skills. Outstanding story and incredibly well read.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Jethro - Bravo! You have mad skills. Outstanding story and incredibly well read.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Oh yeah, congratulations on taking the Ghost. That buck has some character.

Cool picture with your daughter holding the rifle...taller than she is.

Comment

Great story, makes me feel like the deer I've shot in the past have been taken for granted and not thoroughly enjoyed.

Comment

Great story, you have a unique ability with words. Congrats.

Comment

Great Story...Great Write Up...

Comment

words can't express...but wait they did!

excellent job both on and off the stand!

Comment

I can't add any thing that has not allready been said,but to say thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X