No announcement yet.

*Calling Knife Makers*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could always do a paracord wrap if you don't want to drill holes or attach scales.

Comment

Remember the two most common injuries occur when 1. drilling the blades and the drill press grabs the knife and spins it and 2. the biggest danger is the buffer. high speed buffers tend to grab and throw knives at high speeds

I would also highly recommend full face shields! GOOD LUCK!!!

Comment

Thank you very much !!

Comment

Like the others I would recommend stock removal blade and if youd like, send it to me and Ill heat treat it for you. A small belt sander would do for the majority of the metal removal and draw file/sandpaper the rest of the way

Comment

In for the knowledge!

Comment

Originally posted by Spoken0313 View Post
              In for the knowledge!

X2!

Comment

More complex than you need at this point, but still some useful principles:
                Back in December of last year, for my 300th knife I built a frame handle hunter. I took work-in-progress pictures and posted the WIP on several forums. Today I realized that it wasn't on my website. The link to the tutorial is below. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1137597-Frame-Handle-Hunter-WIP-*now-with-finished-product

This one's more basic, but less technically precise. I don't use superglue anymore for handle finishing, and I've gone to propane for forging.
                I learned to build knives mostly by trial and error, and by reading all kinds of material online.  It seems there is a lack of simple tutorials, so I thought I'd make a few.   This one, "How I Build a Knife," was my first.  Look for more tutorials in the future.  More tutorials are linked on the

Comment

All of the advise above is very good. Keep in mind also that as you start to make knives, you will develop or learn some things as you go. Don't be scared to try different techniques, but know that you may mess up a blade a little and have to "fix" it. Most little oooops's can be fixed so don't get discouraged and don't be afraid to ask for advise if you get stuck. You'd be amazed at the different tools people use to make knives. Like most on here, I started with the cheap Harbor Frieght 1x30 grinder. Made a bunch of knives with it too. If you see that you are going to keep doing it, you'll eventually upgrade to a good grinder.

Edit: I hope that didn't sound like I was hacking on anyone for how they do knives. Everyone on here is very helpful with different perspectives.
                  Last edited by Puggy625; 09-30-2016, 07:40 PM.

Comment

TXHUNT3R, these will be in the mail Monday. 8.5 inches of 1084 5/32 thick, 1.5 inches wide. This is high carbon steel, not stainless.

Enough Lowes 3/16 brass rod for 2 or 3 pins, I'd recommend only using 2.

Two stabilized mesquite scales

Enough 6-7 oz veg tanned leather to make a basic sheath.

Couple small scraps of kydex, just for tinkering. In the long run, kydex is much easier, quicker, and just about mistake proof. I don't use it much, I have a hard time putting a piece of plastic on a knife.

Some of the best stuff I've seen on youtube is Walter Sorrells.

Enjoy!
                    Attached Files

Comment

This place is just amazing, I showed my wife this thread and she was blown away.

Razor please shoot me your email!!

Comment

^

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                          TXHUNT3R, these will be in the mail Monday. 8.5 inches of 1084 5/32 thick, 1.5 inches wide. This is high carbon steel, not stainless.

Enough Lowes 3/16 brass rod for 2 or 3 pins, I'd recommend only using 2.

Two stabilized mesquite scales

Enough 6-7 oz veg tanned leather to make a basic sheath.

Couple small scraps of kydex, just for tinkering. In the long run, kydex is much easier, quicker, and just about mistake proof. I don't use it much, I have a hard time putting a piece of plastic on a knife.

Some of the best stuff I've seen on youtube is Walter Sorrells.

Enjoy!
                          You are a really swell chap!

I second Walter Sorrells! Good stuff on his channel.

Comment

I've been called a lot of things in my 52 years, but that's the first "chap".

Comment

There was a follow along knife build thread on tbh a few years back,he went step by step through the whole process,very informative,can't remember who it was though

Comment

Paintman, did you let your associate sponsorship expire?

Comment

Working...
                                X