No announcement yet.

My sweet new sous side rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the name and model of the induction top. I am getting induction during my kitchen remodel also. Do you like the induction cooking?

Thanks

Comment

It’s a GE Cafe model. The GR Monogram model does it also.
      Induction cooking is amazing. You can get a special offer that includes induction cookware too. The Bluetooth controller is extra with the care model but included in the monogram.
      The only downside is that it’s so fast you’ll have to relearn how to cook to compensate.

Comment

I know this is an old thread but rather then start a new one. I just got one of these, and have tried steaks ( various cuts) and we just don't get it.( the hype, or why these are supposed to be so good) . Maybe Iam doing something wrong, or not doing something I should, but it's why I post this. I can not get one to turn out better ( in fact don't really care for it) then just grilling them on the pit. I've tried a few differant recipes ( all about the same). Am I missing something that needs to be done, that is not stated in any of the recipes ? Can a few of you list your favorite reciepe for steaks this way? ( even burgers, or what ever you prefer done this way). Thanks
        Last edited by critter69; 07-15-2018, 04:01 PM.

Comment

The whole idea behind SV is that you can cook meat at 130 degrees and no matter how long you leave it cooking, it will still be medium rare. The benefit to this is that the meat continues to break down and tenderize while not losing any of it's natural juices. I love using this method for venison roast or beef sirloin and will usually cook them for 8-10 hours. They come out perfectly medium rare all the way through and almost fork tender.

The problem with this method is it isn't hot enough to render the fat. I've tried it with Ribeyes and New York strip and didn't care for it. For fatty cuts of meat I continue to use a extremely hot grill.

Comment

If I were doing a ribeye or fattier cut I’d allow a little longer on the finish grill. For lean venison I finish in a really hot cast iron griddle but only long enough to carmelize the surface. Maybe 1-1/2 minutes per side.
            Don’t get carried away with the seasoning for steaks. Salt pepper and many a little garlic powder for the sous vide and adjust when searing it.
            Also it is possible to souse vide too long and dry out the cut. A couple hours at 130 is food safe.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
              I know this is an old thread but rather then start a new one. I just got one of these, and have tried steaks ( various cuts) and we just don't get it.( the hype, or why these are supposed to be so good) . Maybe Iam doing something wrong, or not doing something I should, but it's why I post this. I can not get one to turn out better ( in fact don't really care for it) then just grilling them on the pit. I've tried a few differant recipes ( all about the same). Am I missing something that needs to be done, that is not stated in any of the recipes ? Can a few of you list your favorite reciepe for steaks this way? ( even burgers, or what ever you prefer done this way). Thanks
              The goal with sous vide is uniformity of texture.

With a traditional method of cooking a steak using a high direct heat source, you have a stratification of temperatures through the meat. So the closer you get to the center, the slower it cooks. For example, with a thick cut steak that you want done medium rare, you'll end up with the first few millimeters being well done, then a few millimeters being medium rare, then the middle as rare. Like this:

So with sous vide, you can control the heat temperature to exactly what you want the final product to be and then quickly sear it to get that tasty maillard reaction going on the outside (what people erroneously refer to as caramelization). Perfectly medium rare all the way through like this:

You can also achieve a similar steak using the reverse sear method where you oven cook at ~150F for a while and then grill, but it's not as dummy-proof.

My suggestion: buy thick cut steaks (1.5" to 2"), cook to a few degrees below your target for 2 hours (for me that's 128F). Remove from bags and cook over the hottest heat source you can find for 1 to 2 minutes each side. Personally, I use a hot pan and a searzall and do 2 minutes total.

Comment

Sirloins are great in it and chicken is too. I do the steaks at 129 for at least a hour, then a hot mesquite fire.

Comment

And you guys really like these better ? Because I don't seem to. Mine looks just like those but I guess I don't care for the texture or the looks when it's done this way. Hot grill with some smoke , I like. What are a few other things you like to make with these ? I need to find something we like, or I need to get rid of it.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                    And you guys really like these better ? Because I don't seem to. Mine looks just like those but I guess I don't care for the texture or the looks when it's done this way. Hot grill with some smoke , I like. What are a few other things you like to make with these ? I need to find something we like, or I need to get rid of it.
                    Have you ever tried to grill a venison round steak over a fire? It’s nearly impossible not to end up with either an undercooked steak or shoe leather. Maybe you’ve figured it out but the beauty of souse vide is I can’t screw it up.

Comment

Yes I grill about all the meat we eat, most times I have no problem with any of it, including venison. ( once in awhile I will forget about it, and over do it. Playing darts and beer get in the way) But 99% of the time, no problem. I will give this thing a few more try's, just not sure what to do to change the out come. Any one lookin to buy one ?

Comment

I cooked several NY Strips yesterday via sous vide ... 129 degrees for 1.5 hrs. then the sear. One was marinated in red wine, one in a wasabi paste, and the other in rosemary/butter cracked peppercorn. All 3 were perfectly juicy-tender and zero leftovers

Comment

P.M. me , I am looking for one. Airtech

Comment

Tried it with alot of different meats a year or so ago, it all tasted like boiled meat to me. Does look pretty but I like fire in my meat!

Comment

I need a sous vid setup

Comment

Originally posted by MulieThumper View Post
                                I need a sous vid setup
                                Just ordered one on Amazon for Prime Day $75 (nearly half off). Bluetooth controlled...Anova is the brand.

i'm excited about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X