TRAPPING SEASON Thread 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
    Dollar store paper towels are hard to beat, now for some folks with fumblefingers, not so much, but it's what I've used for years, either that or fiberfill under the pan, mostly depends on which one comes up first from the bottom of my junkb---uh trap bag.
    I quit using that stuff hahah

Never did care for fiber fill. I still use foam for some pan tension on my bridgers

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Who'da thunk that I'm the cheapo here.

Comment

Hey fellas,

I have the newer 550’s with the stronger springs. (I believe they switched over to the stronger springs four or five years ago.)

The pan tension is pretty high even after dipping in FMJ. Most are tripping at 4½-5+ pounds.

I’ve made no adjustments to my traps as far as pan tension is concerned. They seem to do well, although I believe I tend to miss some coyotes because of the higher pan tension. On the other hand, I miss a lot of coons for the same reason.

Maybe there's another contributing factor to the misses, as even the lightweight coyotes are enough to set the trap off in most cases.

I really don’t want to start bending dogs, or filing night latches in order to drop the pan tension, but I would if I thought I could pick up more coyotes and still avoid the coons.

What’s y’alls take on this?

Comment

Man if I was only running for coyotes I would leave it where it was at. The man thay taught me alot while with the government said he liked 7# also since your not able to catch or shoot cats I'd leave them right where they are

Comment

I don't file in nightlatches but I do like a good sharp edge on my dog with a good squared notch on the pan notch. You don't give up patch tension but when the dog releases theres no creep just a sudden release of pan tension. You will have do some bending on some traps after you get them filed.

Comment

Originally posted by TUCO View Post
              Hey fellas,

I have the newer 550’s with the stronger springs. (I believe they switched over to the stronger springs four or five years ago.)

The pan tension is pretty high even after dipping in FMJ. Most are tripping at 4½-5+ pounds.

I’ve made no adjustments to my traps as far as pan tension is concerned. They seem to do well, although I believe I tend to miss some coyotes because of the higher pan tension. On the other hand, I miss a lot of coons for the same reason.

Maybe there's another contributing factor to the misses, as even the lightweight coyotes are enough to set the trap off in most cases.

I really don’t want to start bending dogs, or filing night latches in order to drop the pan tension, but I would if I thought I could pick up more coyotes and still avoid the coons.

What’s y’alls take on this?
              I do bend the dogs slightly on all mine. Pan tension just seemed too high for my liking. I do go after reds too and I think it was too high for them. If only going after coyotes your probably fine.

Comment

I don't file in nightlatches but I do like a good sharp edge on my dog with a good squared notch on the pan notch. You don't give up patch tension but when the dog releases theres no creep just a sudden release of pan tension. You will have do some bending on some traps after you get them filed.
                4K I really like MB’s night latch.

With the latch being so small, if there's any creep, I can’t detect it.

I’ve only had one toe catch out of 48 coyotes; and I think that MB’s night latch is one of the reasons why.

I still smile every time I hear that sharp "click".

Comment

Yea! I had forgot about the mb's, that's basically what I do with the other traps but no second notch. When you bring the pan against the dog it should dead level, then when the weight hits the pan it's a very crisp drop. Can't stand to move a pan and see and feel the dog dragging out of a rounded notch.

Comment

Originally posted by Btoutdoors View Post

I do bend the dogs slightly on all mine. Pan tension just seemed too high for my liking.

I do go after reds too and I think it was too high for them.

If only going after coyotes your probably fine.
                    That's the feeling I got as well BT.

I think the tension increased even more after the traps had been in the ground several days. I tested a few (that I was pulling up), which had been buried for four or five days; and it left little doubt as to why they didn’t go off when a coyote stepped on the pan. I think the soil/sand conditions are compounding the problem. It made me wonder just how many coyotes I have actually missed because of this.

The slightest amount of moisture seems to make the loose sand the trap is bedded in become hardened enough to stick together inside the jaws of the trap. I discovered this when I pulled up unfired traps, and the sand stayed with the trap when I unearthed it.

What I’ve also discovered is that sand gets packed up under the 550’s pan in the area where the dog latches, and I believe that might account for higher tensions leading to misses as well. Maybe a little extra poly shoved under the pan just below the dog would remedy this.

If you guys have experienced these same conditions, I’d like to hear how you dealt with them.

Comment

I use the foam that they use to fix chairs it's 1" thick an works great for that

Comment

Originally posted by Fergeris View Post

Man if I was only running for coyotes I would leave it where it was at. The man they taught me a lot while with the government said he liked 7# also since your not able to catch or shoot cats I'd leave them right where they are

If only going after coyotes your probably fine.

You guys are right.

I guess I should leave well enough alone, but I can't stand missing one knowing I might have been able to prevent it.

It's like having a coyote come to the call, then shooting over his back.

The last thing I want to do is educate them.

Comment

I haven't messed with traps for a couple of years but any that have the steel bolt/nut will get stiffer when they're set out, rust-sand-silt, etc. loves in there. When I get new traps I replace those with brass, it at least it stops the corrosion issues and brass seems to move a little free-er than the steel.

Comment

Originally posted by TUCO View Post
                            That's the feeling I got as well BT.

I think the tension increased even more after the traps had been in the ground several days. I tested a few (that I was pulling up), which had been buried for four or five days; and it left little doubt as to why they didn’t go off when a coyote stepped on the pan. I think the soil/sand conditions are compounding the problem. It made me wonder just how many coyotes I have actually missed because of this.

The slightest amount of moisture seems to make the loose sand the trap is bedded in become hardened enough to stick together inside the jaws of the trap. I discovered this when I pulled up unfired traps, and the sand stayed with the trap when I unearthed it.

What I’ve also discovered is that sand gets packed up under the 550’s pan in the area where the dog latches, and I believe that might account for higher tensions leading to misses as well. Maybe a little extra poly shoved under the pan just below the dog would remedy this.

If you guys have experienced these same conditions, I’d like to hear how you dealt with them.
                            I think you should bend them just slightly. I forgot about the sand you trap in, it definitely gets in there. You can always take the bend out if you don't like it.

Comment

Who'da thunk that I'm the cheapo here.

1000 sets for $10.49 sounds cheap to me.

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/UltraSource-H...42_QL70_&dpSrc

1000 sets for $10.49 sounds cheap to me.
                                Hey man! Thanks for trying to make me feel better.

Comment

Working...
                                X