Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arrow for a compound, recurve and longbow....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow for a compound, recurve and longbow....

I recently purchased a 43# recurve.
    I'm in the process of buying a 70# longbow.

I'm shooting a 340 spine Gold Tip Pro Hunter @ 32".
    I have 6 arrows for it.
    3 are crested, they have standard inserts and 50 grain screw in weights. The other 3 have 100 grain brass inserts. All are have 125 grain tips/Broadheads.

I tried the standard insert and 50 grain screw in weights, the weight was off. I tried 100 grains screw in weight, put me over. Used the 100 grain inserts all 6 arrows are within 3 grains of each other.

Since my longbow is 70# @ 28" and I'll be drawing it more than that the weights going to increase. Not sure how much, yet :-)

I'm using 340 spine arrows in my compound too. It's set at 64#.

How much harder will the longbow launch, compared to my compound and recurve?

Will/should I upgrade to a 300, 250 or more?

If I upgrade my arrows for the recurve should I change them all?
    One arrow for three bows???

70# longbow?

You must have arms like a gorilla

That would probably be equivalent to at least a 90# compound

Comment

Theres no way you can use the same for 43# recurve and the 70# longbow.
      Maybe longbow and compound.
      Are you completely new to traditional bows? Im not doubting your strength, but it takes a lot of power to pull a 70# longbow.

Comment

If you get lucky enough to get the same arrow to work off of a 43# recurve, 64# compound, and 70+# longbow, you better get down to the Quick Mart and buy as many lottery tickets as you can!

Good luck with it!

Bisch

Comment

Not to put to fine of a point on it, BUT it ain't gonna happen.

Well I'll back up a little - You might use the same shaft, but you'll never make that shaft work in the same configuration for all 3 bows.

Rick

Comment

Short answer yes you can spine a 340 for both #70/#45 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-08-27-04-36-39.png
Views:	1
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	24400069

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-08-27-04-33-48.png
Views:	1
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	24400070

Comment

I would say yes but your arrows for the 45# would dang near have to be full length.

Comment

Originally posted by DWA View Post
                I would say yes but your arrows for the 45# would dang near have to be full length.
                They are
                When they build stores for my compound they take @ 1" off of each end

Comment

Originally posted by little john View Post
                  Short answer yes you can spine a 340 for both #70/#45 [ATTACH]737627[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]737628[/ATTACH]
                  Wow!!!
                  I see the numbers...but I still dont believe 43# could bend a 340 spine shaft.
                  I may be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by MEsquivel View Post
                    Wow!!!
                    I see the numbers...but I still dont believe 43# could bend a 340 spine shaft.
                    I may be wrong.
                    I see that too, and have a hard time buying that it will work??? In his example, he has 200gr of front end weight and a B50 string. I have to leave my 32" .400 shafts full length, and have 250gr up front, for my 50# bow with a D97 string, and they are still just a hair stiff.

Bisch
                    Last edited by Bisch; 08-27-2015, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                      I see that too, and have a hard time buying that it will work??? In his example, he has 200gr of front end weight and a B50 string. I have to leave my 32" .400 shafts full length, and have 250gr up front, for my 50# bow with a D97 string, and they are still just a hair stiff.

Bisch
                      I've got a #45 and some 340s and all the fixins sounds like a challange

Comment

I can shoot the same 400 spine arrows from my 54# compound (Conquest 4), 63# R/D longbow, and 52# recurve. I do it all the time.

When I shoot them from the compound and 63# longbow, I use 100 grain points. When I shoot them from my recurve, I use 160 grain points. My arrows are also 32" long.

Because your longbow is going to be cut further from center, it wouldn't surprise me if you can use those 340 spine arrows with 150+ grains up front.

However, on the recurve, you'd need more like 300 grains up front to get them to tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post

Bisch
                          I have a short 26" draw.
                          My tolke lynx... 55@26 shoots 400 shafts with 225gr up front at 29" just fine.
                          My bob lee recurve (47# at my draw) likes the 500 shafts with 175 up front at 28"
                          I do realize the difference in shaft length... but I still find it hard to believe.

I guess you could try to tune to your lightest bow first...just keep on adding weight up front... That way you don't have to cut your shafts.

Comment

[ATTACH]737628[/ATTACH]
                            Dang it! I can't see the pictures.

Comment

[ATTACH]737628[/ATTACH]
                              Ah yes... (I can see them now.)

There in is the hitch though... in order for you to use the same arrow, you have to accept that your gpp for the longbow is going to be 5.5... which I doubt there is a boywer around that would be happy with you shooting his/her bow with a 5gpp setup.

A 340 at 32" is probably more like a 450 at 28". then when you throw 250 gr out that far, it probably shoots more like a 600 spine arrow. So yeah, it makes sense that you can get the spine right... but at 5.5 gpp, you aren't going to be happy down the road.

Comment

Working...
                              X