Protesting your Appraisal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Randy View Post
    Remember the same politicians you vote for that promise to lower your property taxes are the same ones who set the appraisal laws for property tax.

They smell, pat you on the shoulder with one hand while reaching around into your back pocket with the other.

FIFY!

Sqiggy, If I were you, with all the problems you have encountered on your beautiful piece of property with the gas company, I would sell that for the inflated appraised value and go find a place far from the oil/gas companies who are keeping your taxes low.

Comment

I did last year. Used a service here that charged 25% of whatever they saved you. Cost me $150 but it was worth it! My property value, according to the tax office is now the lowest it has been since we bought the house in 2008

Comment

Yes. Harris county you can file a protest online, then they come back with a value, and if you like it, good to go, otherwise have to go to the meeting. We do this stupid dance every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
          FIFY!

Sqiggy, If I were you, with all the problems you have encountered on your beautiful piece of property with the gas company, I would sell that for the inflated appraised value and go find a place far from the oil/gas companies who are keeping your taxes low.
          Funny you should say. I just got off the phone with the contractor and Tanos and I ripped their ***.
          Needless to say, I'm fired up right now!!!
          Anyways, I don't want to move. I kinda like here!!! Even with everything going on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
            Funny you should say. I just got off the phone with the contractor and Tanos and I ripped their ***.
            Needless to say, I'm fired up right now!!!
            Anyways, I don't want to move. I kinda like here!!! Even with everything going on!!!

Good for you!!! Sometimes you just have to quit bellyaching, lose your temper and kick some arse!

Do you run cows?

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTealHunter View Post
              Questions if i filed a homestead exemption and it was accepted am i clear on higher taxes?

I guess not necasarily clear but was that at least one step in right direction/ should or can i still protest
              Any one got an idea?

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTealHunter View Post
                Any one got an idea?
                Yes absolutely you should still protest your value if you feel it is over appraised. It's important to have the homestead exemption but you still need to keep your market value in check!

Comment

I would hire a professional in your case. They have a better chance

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                    I would hire a professional in your case. They have a better chance
                    In whose case, Sqiggy's or TexasTealHunter's?

Comment

I'm protesting mine. They went up the max 10 percent. The comps they are using are 20yrs newer and in a different neighborhood. They're setting my house against a house that sold for 315k and one that sold for 216k. One of those houses in 17 only got a 3.5 percent increase while I got the full 10. So I have room to argue and get mine lowered. I just got my letter today w my date to be heard by the protest board. My dad did his last yr this way and won. Hopefully I can do the same. You need to find out what comps they are using to determine your houses value and if everyone across the board got hit w the same amount. If not, then u have room to argue.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                        In whose case, Sqiggy's or TexasTealHunter's?
                        Yes squiggy, doubled valuation. Actually anybody that feels there valuation is excessive. Remember, the go up this year and 3to 5 years they go up again. Try to stay ahead of them.

Comment

Oh and if they hit me with the full 10 percent I will become the smallest house with the highest price per sq ft house. And I don't have a large house, or what I consider a small house. That's not acceptable either

Comment

Take pictures of every flaw you can find on the exterior. The slightest crask in the slab. Sagging awning, etc. They dont care anything about the interior.

Comment

Fought the Harris co. A.D. a couple of times
                              They were using comps on new home near my dads 40 yr old house.

Simple discussion in front of the board and we agreed on value.

BP

Comment

Did mine last year. Researched the neighboring properties and homes. Homes with more square footage and built more recently than mine had lower taxes.

I walked in with printouts of the taxes from every house on my street (12) and showed them that I was getting taxed more than anyone else. Yes, my house does sit in two lots, 1/2 acre each. All the other homes are only on 1/2 acre. I asked him face to face if I was getting taxed for a house on each of my 1/2 acre lots. He stared blankly at me and said "I don't know". He said that my house was "unique". I asked him to show me the "unique" tax code because I'd never seen or heard of being taxed for a "unique" property.

Long story short, I got mine dropped my $1000 for 2017. Got my proposed tax statement last month and it had actually went down another $500.

When and if it goes up again, I'll protest it again. Even with what mine are now, they're still higher than the newer homes on my street but not by much...

Comment

Working...
                                X