Refrigerator Acting Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Refrigerator Acting Up

Do we have in appliance folks in the house? My refer started acting up.

The freezer still freezes sort of. It takes more than 48hrs for an ice tray to get solid. Some of those little freezer pops in a sleeve have thawed to slushy status. Ice cream is about the consistency of frozen yogurt. However, a package of chicken thighs froze solid. This is on the coldest setting.

The fridge gets cool, but not cold enough to keep food safe in.

I have pulled the small panel on the back and cleaned those coils off and the fan back there seems to be running fine. I removed the panel inside the freezer and while there was a small amount of frost on those coils I wouldn't think it would be enough to inhibit operation. I have everything out and letting it thaw just in case that little bit of frost was the issue. That fan seems to be working as it should as well.

What else could it be? Is it something I can do?

Watching, have a similar situation with my fridge in the garage

Comment

Mine did it one time and it turned out to be the defrost heater after testing it with multi-meter. Replaced it and it was good. Test it since you have it apart. It should be on the inside panel, at the bottom of the coils. I dug it up real quick for you..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=311BiD76iYg

Comment

Let us know how it does once the coil thaws. The symptoms you are describing sounds like an iced up coil.

Comment

Could be several things. No defrost, defrost staying on too long, refrigerant issue. If it starts working after you manually defrost it, you may try a defrost timer, they are fairly cheap and easy to find. May need a service call.

Comment

Originally posted by BowPro73 View Post
            Mine did it one time and it turned out to be the defrost heater after testing it with multi-meter. Replaced it and it was good. Test it since you have it apart. It should be on the inside panel, at the bottom of the coils. I dug it up real quick for you..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=311BiD76iYg
            Well, looks like testing the defrost heater will have to wait. I believe that my meter is in the truck which is with the wife at work.

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
            Could be several things. No defrost, defrost staying on too long, refrigerant issue. If it starts working after you manually defrost it, you may try a defrost timer, they are fairly cheap and easy to find. May need a service call.
            Is it possible that that small amount of frost would make it act up and could it result from the door being open? I recently found it partially open a couple different times. Apparently there was something putting a little pressure on the door. Any time someone would close the refer, the freezer would pop open slightly.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
              Well, looks like testing the defrost heater will have to wait. I believe that my meter is in the truck which is with the wife at work.

Is it possible that that small amount of frost would make it act up and could it result from the door being open? I recently found it partially open a couple different times. Apparently there was something putting a little pressure on the door. Any time someone would close the refer, the freezer would pop open slightly.
              Yes. The coils can freeze over from just a leaky seal.

Comment

Door open can cause it not to cool, also can overload the compressor and wreck the valves. Door gaskets not sealing are also a common culprit. I don't do residential refrigeration, but these are some of the same issues a commercial freezer can have. Can you hear the inside fan running when its on? It wont start up immediately, the coil has to get down to a very low temp before the fan comes on.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                  Door open can cause it not to cool, also can overload the compressor and wreck the valves. Door gaskets not sealing are also a common culprit. I don't do residential refrigeration, but these are some of the same issues a commercial freezer can have. Can you hear the inside fan running when its on? It wont start up immediately, the coil has to get down to a very low temp before the fan comes on.
                  I can not say for certain if the inside fan runs when it should. Once I had the inner panel removed, I did spin the fan manually and it moved freely. I then plugged the unit back in. It pretty much fired right up and the fan started spinning.

Comment

On a side note.... I made a post on here a couple of years ago about my freezer door always popping open. If it's an outside/garage/secondary fridge, you can do this to keep it from ghostly popping open. Pretty sure you'd wanna get a new weatherstrip/seal for the house kitchen though.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=561034

Comment

Good luck on the repair hopefully it’s not to serious.

Comment

Following. We have one that just started doing the same thing. Ice cream was the tell, meat stays frozen. Super weird

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, around 7 degrees or so, ice cream starts being a milk shake.

Comment

save the pump and make a vacuum pump out of it- (if you replace)

Comment

Working...
                            X