Select Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cwill View Post
    Beautiful stroke and congrats! How old is your boy?
    X2^^ that was a great stroke. It was also nice to see the boys from the opposing team high fiving him as he rounded the bases. Great sportsmanship right there.

Comment

Who all is gearing up for another season? I've got one in 9u, Dallas Tigers-Miller, and one in 7u, NTX Generals Elite, this year, we should be all over dfw pretty much every weekend this spring and summer...anyone else 9u or 7u?

Comment

We have practices starting quickly and will be playing in Austin, Waco and may hit a tournament in San Antonio, Houston, or the Metroplex.

Comment

my $.02 having coached for ten years and having my oldest playing at the college level now.

A few things I learned:
          1. Limit the games to spring. Start in February and end in June. If you play a ten tournament schedule and suck, you will play at least 30 games. If you are good, that could easily play 50+. Add in a 16 game schedule for the guy who insists that his kid is going to play league ball as well and that is 46 to 66+ games a season. Most college schedules are about 50-60 games.

2. Parents will be parents. Set the ground rules before you start. If lil Johnny isn't producing on the field, he won't be on the field. Explain that to the kids. Establish some standards by which the kids will be evaluated and let the kids know what they are (fielding, hitting, baserunning, pitching, etc.........). Example: Its easy to talk to lil Johnny about the fact that while he is fielding and hitting well, the fact that he got picked off 3 times in a weekend means he need to focus on his baserunning.

3. Spend more time working with the less talented kids. Focus on bringing the bottom up.

4. Until they reach puberty, don't let them throw anything that will torque their elbow. (Hard to do as every 12 yr old wants to throw a curveball) Use your pitchers sparingly. What's important at young ages is learning to hit their spots, what pitches produce what hits (low in the zone = ground balls, high in the zone = fly balls, etc......), slide steps with runners on, essentially get the kid some experience on the bump. The goal is to have the kid shine at 16, 17, 18 yrs old at a high school level so he can get some looks from a recruiter rather than be a 12-14 yr old ace.

abuse of the above are what I think is hurting too many of our young players in the select leagues.

Comment

Originally posted by bjg View Post
            my $.02 having coached for ten years and having my oldest playing at the college level now.

A few things I learned:
            1. Limit the games to spring. Start in February and end in June. If you play a ten tournament schedule and suck, you will play at least 30 games. If you are good, that could easily play 50+. Add in a 16 game schedule for the guy who insists that his kid is going to play league ball as well and that is 46 to 66+ games a season. Most college schedules are about 50-60 games.

2. Parents will be parents. Set the ground rules before you start. If lil Johnny isn't producing on the field, he won't be on the field. Explain that to the kids. Establish some standards by which the kids will be evaluated and let the kids know what they are (fielding, hitting, baserunning, pitching, etc.........). Example: Its easy to talk to lil Johnny about the fact that while he is fielding and hitting well, the fact that he got picked off 3 times in a weekend means he need to focus on his baserunning.

3. Spend more time working with the less talented kids. Focus on bringing the bottom up.

4. Until they reach puberty, don't let them throw anything that will torque their elbow. (Hard to do as every 12 yr old wants to throw a curveball) Use your pitchers sparingly. What's important at young ages is learning to hit their spots, what pitches produce what hits (low in the zone = ground balls, high in the zone = fly balls, etc......), slide steps with runners on, essentially get the kid some experience on the bump. The goal is to have the kid shine at 16, 17, 18 yrs old at a high school level so he can get some looks from a recruiter rather than be a 12-14 yr old ace.

abuse of the above are what I think is hurting too many of our young players in the select leagues.
            AMEN!!!!

Well said....too bad parents want them to win the SO AND SO World Series Championship when they are 8-12 years old.

I have begun giving lessons to a few kids in my neighborhood but refuse to get into Select coaching or tournament ball for this reason

Comment

if any of yall ever play out at Premier Baseball @99 and Cypress Rosehill let me know. I have been coaching out there for a couple years now.

Comment

Originally posted by CFBASEBALL09 View Post
                if any of yall ever play out at Premier Baseball @99 and Cypress Rosehill let me know. I have been coaching out there for a couple years now.
                That's a nice place! What age group do you coach? My boy plays 11u and we were considering letting him try out at premier, but went another route secondary to dates of tryouts.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Have a 20 year old, 16 year old and 12 year old that play and I coach. Yea, spring is a lil crazy round here...

Comment

I can't wait for it to start, hate the first month or so when it's old though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cwill View Post
                        That's a nice place! What age group do you coach? My boy plays 11u and we were considering letting him try out at premier, but went another route secondary to dates of tryouts.
                        This season I will be coaching a 13U team.

Comment

My son is about turn 11. Has played select ball since he was 7 (spring, summer, fall). He's burnt out. I saw he had potential and i burned him out. I took the fun out of it....made him practice way too much...and I regret that. He didn't want to play this past fall, and doesn't want to play this spring. It's tough on me, especially being a high school baseball coach. Hopefully he will pick it up again later.

He decided he wanted to shoot shotguns competitively so we're going that route. So far he loves it and is having fun with it. I've learned not to push. He's still a kid.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Sitting here at a private hitting lesson for my son, just finished Matheny's book and I will be changing my approach to being a baseball parent.
                            I'm not a coach and outside of playing catch, throwing/hitting ground balls, and pitching in the cage I'm going to rely on the expertise of these kid whisperer coaches that he responds better to.
                            I also will curb my cheering and calls of encouragement and reminders while my kid in on the field...as well I will stop being the dugout dad constantly giving advice.
                            He already knows what to do and who he's supposed to be listening to...doesn't need dad to be in his ear.
                            Doesn't want dad in his ear.
                            That's my promise for 2017.
                            Let him enjoy the game.

Comment

As with anything, there are pros and cons with select sports. A lot of these clubs have kids playing well out of fear of their big fat coach yelling. I would much rather see a coach let kids learn the game by making mistakes. Be hard on them at practice, but let game time be for them. I played and coached for years. Have a son playing 18U ball now. If you find the right fit, it is a great experience.

Coaches are cheaper then couches (kids busy with sports are better off then kids on a counselor's/rehab couch)

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                                Sitting here at a private hitting lesson for my son, just finished Matheny's book and I will be changing my approach to being a baseball parent.
                                I'm not a coach and outside of playing catch, throwing/hitting ground balls, and pitching in the cage I'm going to rely on the expertise of these kid whisperer coaches that he responds better to.
                                I also will curb my cheering and calls of encouragement and reminders while my kid in on the field...as well I will stop being the dugout dad constantly giving advice.
                                He already knows what to do and who he's supposed to be listening to...doesn't need dad to be in his ear.
                                Doesn't want dad in his ear.
                                That's my promise for 2017.
                                Let him enjoy the game.
                                I've taken this approach with my younger son but sadly it took 2 years of doing all that to my older son for me to realize it. Luckily he still loves the game as much as ever.

Comment

Working...
                                X