Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shooting at a Running Deer/Animal - Ethical or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting at a Running Deer/Animal - Ethical or Not?

Ethical or not? Had this discussion this past weekend with some friends. Does it matter if it is a doe? Trophy Buck? Exotic deer? What about a hog or coyote? Does it matter if you practice taking moving shots or not? At what distance would it be ethical (if at all) and at what distance would it be unethical? Does it matter if it is walking versus a full sprint? Does it matter if you are using a bow or rifle? Free hand vs. using a rest?

Interested to hear the green screen's opinion.
    Last edited by TB80; 01-16-2019, 10:42 AM.

It all depends on who is shooting and their ethics.

Comment

Gunna be lots of moral relativism with this one, which is funny coming from right wingers that typically attack leftists for the same thing.

Comment

Used to do it all the time when we could still run dogs. It’s not like you’re going to lose one with the dogs behind it...

Wouldn’t do it with a bow. Would do it with a rifle if I felt pretty sure I could hit it good. You miss every shot you don’t take, and big bucks don’t tend to stand around in fields to be shot where I live.

Comment

The correct answer is: It depends!

Type of animal, speed it is walking/running, terrain and openess. If you have participated in an Iowa deer drive you will know what running deer are!! Normal rifle hunting they are normally farther away, and you are generally able to get a shot when they stand still, feed, or pause when running away.

Comment

Originally posted by 2coolforschool View Post
            Gunna be lots of moral relativism with this one, which is funny coming from right wingers that typically attack leftists for the same thing.
            There’s a politics section if you would care to express further disdain.

Comment

Personally I like to run along side the animal at the same speed. Better shot that way.

Comment

Pretty soon hunters will be questioning if it is ethical to use a gun or new bows.

Hunters just need worry about themselves and quit judging what other hunters do.

Comment

Originally posted by boh347 View Post
                  Personally I like to run along side the animal at the same speed. Better shot that way.
                  You must work out a lot if you can carry a gun while running as fast as a deer.

Comment

If I do not want to chance wounding the animal (Deer), I will not take a running shot. If I don't care if I wound the animal (Probably not a very ethical statement), I will take a running shot (Hogs, coyotes, etc). If I squeeze the trigger on a running animal, I am assuming that the kill will not be quick and humane, even though that may end up being the case.

Comment

Sausage Kolache.

Comment

It all comes down to whether the ends justify the means. I’ve known hunters that would shoot a deer in the hams if it was the only target the animal presented.

Comment

Depends on person shooting and situation. I’ve done it several times. Killed my elk this past year on the run, 2 shots in the lungs.

Ethical? Some would say yes some would say no. I was perfectly okay with it because I know my abilities and it was in my comfort zone for the shot.

Comment

Walking slowly like around a feeder, sure why not. Full on sprint? No way I would shoot, I don't think that is ethical because the chance you are going to make a kill shot on that animal is pretty slim unless you are an excellent shot and have practiced moving targets before. This is my view on game animals. I do believe it depends on the person's skillset and comfort level to make an ethical shot on a running deer. I am not mad enough at any deer to risk wounding and not recovering. Hogs are getting shot at no matter what they are doing
                            Last edited by KyleW; 01-16-2019, 11:00 AM.

Comment

IMO whether it is a doe, small buck, big buck, etc is moot. Either it's ethical or not, and the ethics depend on likelihood of success. I'd liken it to shooting at high geese. For most, anything past 40 yds or so is too high and when they take that shot it's "spray and pray" and I'd say unethical. I've also hunted with guys who could go 4 for 5 on 55 yd geese, completely ethical. I've always felt confident taking running shots and will continue to do so when I'm comfortable with the shot. Ironically, the only deer I've ever completely wiffed on was standing broadside at 150 yards.

Comment

Working...
                              X