Cattle on the lease!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Birddog66 View Post
    I've very very seldom hunted a place the DIDN'T have cattle. I would make sure the feed pens are sturdy and ready. One thing I've learned is that it has a lot to do w/ how the cows are taken care of. If they have plenty to eat and not over populated, you don't have much to worry about. Heck, I have a feeder set up right now w/ cows and no feeder pen. But, I know this place and know I can get away with it because the cows are well taken care of.
    This is us also. They feed and also run very few head. Never had a problem. Had one place though that they would jump a hog panel to get in the pen.

Comment

My lease has a lot of cattle. We have an all seasons feeder, 4 legged model, that should be easy to knock over. It's not in a pen and it is not staked down and while the cows have been in and around it (even laying under it), they have not done any harm. These cows are well cared-for and I think that's the difference in destructive and cooperative cows.

Comment

We have cattle and goats. Pins made from cattle.panels and t post. Cattle don't bother or pens. Now the goats are different. We had to put a hot wire up to keep them off the fence. But now they don't hardly get close to them.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by F0WL_LIF3 View Post
          Yes we still have the lease. The new owners are just going to add cattle.

So will my hog panels be good enough to keep them out?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
          Not the 36" hog panels We use the 42" (I think) with plenty of t posts. If the cows can't lean in on them, they will be less likely to try and jump over.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
            for any feeder you dont have a pen on....

This is amazing, but sucks at the same time. You should make a time-lapse video out of the photos.

Comment

We have had cattle for 20 years. Our pins work great.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurdawg View Post
                Try and get a lower price since you have to deal with cattle now
                Absolute last thing I would do with a new owner. I would just be thankful I still have a place to hunt. I have never had issues with cattle with pens built like yours. as mentioned worse case add a strand of barbwire but I bet its not needed.

Comment

I don't have a pen around some of our feeders and cows don't mess with them, but the cows can't reach the timer box either.

Comment

Not reading all the replies. Too many... lol

I have cows and this and my last lease. Last lease I had 3 strand barb wire pens and cows stayed out. Then I built 12 panel cattle panel pens to keep hogs out. Moved next door this last year and put up the cattle panel pens where Froggy had cows tear down small barb wire pens in the past. They just walk right past my panel pens.
                    I added fawn entrances to the pens this time and have more does and fawns now along with bucks and an occasional smaller pig. Works great!!

Comment

1 cow worth the same as 1 hunter money wise. We have 200 plus cows only a few hunters my vote is for the cattle.

Comment

The main factor will be how well the land owner takes care of his cattle. You can try it with the hog panels and if that doesn’t work you can always run two strands of barb wire around the top.

Comment

I have 9 total

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That's what we went to on my Lipan lease to enlarge then and it was fine. We started with 4....

Comment

This half ton heifer figured out how to clear a 48" cattle panel, daily. No damage to the pen, she would jump in when the feeder threw and jump out when she was done. I wouldn't of believed it if I wouldn't have caught her on video.
                            I ended up high fencing my feeder, That'll teach her
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by louieagarcia; 01-08-2018, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Here's the cattle on my lease

They was walking past my feeder. I was curious so I stuck my orange stocking cap out the window to see what they'd do.
                              They walked over to the blind I was sitting in and milled around for half an hour.

Comment

So will my hog panels be good enough to keep them out? ...
                                If they have enough grass to graze or other groceries, yes, the hog panels will be enough. If not, you might want to add a top hot wire with a solar charger.

Comment

Working...
                                X