Aransas NWR 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saturday and Sunday.

It has been slow tough hunting. But the boys are happy with their kills. I wish Landon could have gotten a deer, but we ran out of time. If they didn't have tests this week I would have let them miss school and hunt the rest of the week with me. Landon is 13 now and still has never shot a deer. I hope we can find a lease some day.
    Attached Files

Comment

Looks like they did very well.

Comment

Back in the blind this morning considering relocating this one after the morning hunt, have only seen pigs in this location. All the shots I have heard have been east of me. (Burgentine lake area) I also have a tripod just inside the hunt area to the right but there haven't been any deer there since Friday morning 9 does.

Comment

Yeah its funny that there are deer all over the front gate but I couldn’t see a one in the field. After 3.5 days and seeing 5-10 seconds of deer in the hunt area I threw in the towel. I saw lots of javelina, some hogs on scouting day, a coyote, armadillo and more. Just no deer.

I have javelina pictures but can’t for the life of me figure out how to upload photos here.

Comment

Does anyone know if they took any stand by hunters???

Comment

Think the refuge Officer said they did not.
              We hunted hard 4 days. I shot 2 pigs, didnt find 1 of them.

Saw 1 buck my buddy froze and didn't shoot. Buck spooked. Put my buddy on 3 hogs, he missed 2 and blew the stalk on 1.

Stalked 1 with My Fiancé, but I spooked it and she made a running shot. Hit it but didn't drop it. We looked for it but couldn't find it.

This public hunt was one tough hunt!!!
              Found a couple spots that you could see a long ways. Just no critters. I covered lots of ground just to find areas that I could actually see. When the green screen says get a tripod, get a tripod. My group hunted off the ground.

Comment

Hunted tripod stand last night only saw 2 small pigs and 2 coyotes. Hunted, scouted, walked and stalked for 14 hours yesterday. Took down tripod and hauled it out from 350 yrds in. Moved popup blind to a new spotwhere I have seen some deer and pigs while driving in and out in the mornings and evenings.
                Sitting in the blind now playing the waiting game. Good luck to everyone still here on the last day.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for all the tips, information, and updates/reports.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171128_153204.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	24522864
                    This was from rifle 2. We hunted Sunday afternoon thru Tuesday morning and were lucky to leave with a spike and a little 6. Those were the only deer we saw as well.

Comment

So anyone who has done this before

Where did you stay?

I just got my rules and don’t really see anything about camps

Comment

RV or tent camping, and they have some cabins also. Last year we pulled the camper down there.
                        It's 5 minutes from the Refuge gate.

Comment

Working...
                        X