Alfalfa feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tx-Burt View Post
    I was impressed with how the deer went after alfalfa this year. We started feeding alfalfa to bring in the axis in to the feeders. They keep coming through but don't really stop to eat at the feeders. We started feeding alfalfa and the deer just ate it up. I had a couple feeder barrels left over from changing my feeders to wench up style. I had some rebar and decided to make a feeder we could put a bale of alfalfa in that wouldn't get wet.

First is to cut some rebar, 15", made the corners out of 1" angle, welded them like a small box, then addedsome rebar sides. I have some legs I'm going to cut to make this aout 4' off the ground. What do you think ?
    When you say the deer just ate it up are you talkin about the white-tails or axis? I know the axis like it, but did it change their habits and stop them at the alfalfa?

Comment

Originally posted by bruiser10 View Post
      When you say the deer just ate it up are you talkin about the white-tails or axis? I know the axis like it, but did it change their habits and stop them at the alfalfa?
      We threw it out for the axis, but the whitetail tore it up before the axis came through...after putting out more in different locations, I got some axis on camera eating it at night.

I've killed three axis deer over a 4 yr timeframe. Each of them were shot while trotting, walking through, nowhere near feeders. A few seen were running in packs, no shot opportunity when they are running at full speed. I am just trying to get them to visit the feeders on a regular basis, then hopefully get one with my Bow. The Bucks seem to come into the feeders and eat, but the does won't. I ussually see groups of 20 or more moving through the property 4 to 5 time a year while hunting.

Comment

Nice build, will have to try it.

Comment

great idea!!!

Comment

nice

Comment

The setup…

Built a feeder Pen this weekend and setup my 2 Alfalfa feeders. I setup a couple cameras, so I’ll check back in a few weeks and see how long they last and what’s eating it. As long as the cows don’t get to them, I think it should last at least a couple weeks.

There is only about a dozen or so No Bull

If I start getting some good pics, I'll probably open a thread in Mgt section and leave this for info on builds...
              My BIL got some ideas on making some, and I may make 1 more, depending on $, it is an added expense now. 14.50 a bale so far
              Attached Files

Comment

The shot

Here's a few from the stands, feeder 25, Alfalfa @ 20yrds.
                Attached Files

Comment

Looks sweet! Gonna a build one or 2 pretty soon myself..will post once done!

Comment

I hunt in Gillespie too and the axis are odd animals. I began by feeding them alfalfa by spreading it on the ground and they ate it up. I invested in a nice alfalfa feeder and they won't touch it. I have had it up for two seasons now. I ended up having to pull it out and spreading it on the ground.

I will move the feeder back to Blanco because there they will eat out of it with no problems there. I tested it there first and no problems. I guess our exotics are just "old school" lol

Comment

Question for you

Bowtechlady, what type of feeder did you use ?
                      Did the deer eat it ?

I'm on the east side of Fredricksburg/Gillespie Cnty, hopefully they won't be as pickey, but it took 3 yrs for them to start visiting our corn feeders, and that is still hit or miss...seems to be only during the week and never on the weekends

Comment

Here is a link to it;

All Seasons Feeders is a family owned business that is centered around enjoying the outdoors. We build our products to outlast many years of hard use. From Deer Feeders and Deer Blinds to Texas made BBQ Pits and Smokers, All Seasons Feeders have what you need!

I experimented first with it in Blanco and it worked great. I moved it to Gillespie and they wouldn't touch it. For this season, I tried it again and they still wouldn't touch it.

The whitetails stayed away too for the most part. I did see some young fawns and yearlings pulling some out to eat.

I have always fed out on the ground and I guess they are just used to it. One of our members has one similar to the one that you built and same issue.

Hopefully you will have success with yours. Axis, fallow, and sikas are just different animals all together!

Comment

TC Pics

I finally got out to my lease and got some TC Pics.
                          Didn't take them long to start eating it.
                          I did make a change, you have to break up the Bale, so it is easier for them to eat. Still had 3/4 of the Bale, so 1 Bale may last 2-3 months.
                          Attached Files

Comment

cool!

Comment

Last year I had purchased a couple of the All Seasons Alfalfa feeders and placed them in my feeder pens. The cows tore up my pens to get to the alfalfa, and literally "camped" out in the pen until the alfalfa was depleted. I ended up removing the alfalfa feeders. It was the first time the cows had busted into me feeder pens in 10 plus years (16' x 3' hog panels). It was too tempting for them to resist. <grin>

Comment

Ever get the axis to come in to the alfalfa?

Comment

Working...
                                X