No announcement yet.

Watering system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a tin roof with maybe some gutters may collect a little more water in the dew

Comment

Originally posted by bar2hunter View Post
      Guzzlers?
      Originally posted by donpablo View Post
      It is a way of capturing rain water and storing it while slowly rationing it out as a watering source for wildlife.
      Here are some guzzlers on two State Wildlife Management Areas. They are a lot larger than you are wanting, but it will give you an idea what another design looks like.

If you dig hard enough (or if your really interested I can try to contact a couple people for you), there has been research done to determine how many gallons of water you will collect w/ certain sized guzzlers and certain amounts of rainfall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Del Norte Guzzler 3.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	23840376

Name:	Del Norte Guzzler 4.JPG
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	23840377

Name:	Del Norte Guzzler 1.JPG
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	23840375

Name:	Black Gap Guzzler.JPG
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	23840378

Comment

Now that should get you a lot of water.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
          I would suggest to start thinking about changing your water hose to PVC. The mice/rats chewed my hose into many little pieces.
          Well, you were absolutely correct about using PVC instead of garden hose. The deer (coons & hogs also) have started using the station but not before something chewed a hole in the hose.

Comment

Closeup

Sorry to be a pain, but we're getting ready to make a few of these and I was wondering if you could get a closeup pic of the part where the hose (soon to be PVC I hear) comes out of the storage barrel. Did you use a flange of some sort there?

Comment

Don, are you gonna use a barrel such as I have? if so, do they have the caps in the top? The caps should be threaded and you can find an adapter that is pipe-thread to fit the cap and the other side of the adapter will be pipe-thread to fit a PVC adapter for your pipe. If you go with a garden hose (which I don't reccomend. ARGH!), the adapter from the barrel should have a 3/4" garden hose male end.
              If you don't have the caps, the same pipe-threaded adapter will work. Just drill a hole in the barrel that is slightly smaller than the threads of the adapter. After applying Teflon thread tape to the threads of the adapter, screw the adapter into the barrel. If it goes in easy, then the hole is probably too big and may leak. You want to have to use channel-locks to get the adapter into the barrel. The snugger the fit, the better!!!
              A bulkhead fitting like this is ideal but you will have to be able to get inside the barrel to work both sides of the fitting. I did not go this route because I wanted to be able to hold as much water as possible and not have to cut any more holes than I absolutely had to.
              http://www.usplastic.com/images/prod...acc/16611p.jpg

Comment

Cool

Thanks Bar2,

We shouldn't have any problem getting barrells with lids.

Pablo

Comment

I am going to build a small guzzler within the next weel i will try to poast a pic i am certainly not trying to high jack your thread but i have a few small suggestions from experience... Go smaller on your trough cover your top barell on your guzzler rig with some harware cloth to prevent a rodent from drowning in your good water supply and if you can split a peice of tin and angle it into the top of your drum for catchment. Every foot of horizontal surface will trap a half gallon of water in an inch of rain fall so you could significantly add to your water collection. GREAT IDEA and thanks for putting up with me.

Comment

I am wanting to build something like this, so keep the thread alive and the pictures coming.

Comment

Originally posted by hrdhunter View Post
                      I am going to build a small guzzler within the next weel i will try to poast a pic i am certainly not trying to high jack your thread but i have a few small suggestions from experience... Go smaller on your trough cover your top barell on your guzzler rig with some harware cloth to prevent a rodent from drowning in your good water supply and if you can split a peice of tin and angle it into the top of your drum for catchment. Every foot of horizontal surface will trap a half gallon of water in an inch of rain fall so you could significantly add to your water collection. GREAT IDEA and thanks for putting up with me.
                      Thanks for the advice! I'm in the process of building another system (as well as tweeking this existing system) and have already started thinking of an alternative water catching system. I think tin incorporated into my existing system should work very well and easy to do.

Donpablo, I hope you're not still waiting on those pics. Things have been crazy on the home front and it's gonna be another couple weeks before I can get back to the lease or start working on my new systems.

Comment

cool

Comment

Nope, currently just waiting for the free time to get together with my Bro and get this done!

Comment

Here's some new pics of the improved (hopefully ) watering system...

Comment

One more suggestion, I should have mentioned earlier is to move your water trough right next to your holding tanks, or put gates on each side of your pvc pipe. This will help keep hogs from using it as a scratching pipe or other animals getting spooked and running thru it. sorry for the late suggestion, but it will be an easy change if you decide to do it.

Comment

Yea, it's hard to see but I did drive & tie 2 rebar stakes along the length of the pipe and then, as you can tell by the pics, covered the piped with cedar limbs. I did this hoping to deter any critters from walking through or over the pipe.
                                With the growing poplulation of pigs we have, I'm sure I'll find out soon enough if this is gonna work and for how long.

Comment

Working...
                                X