X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very sad. Praying for the family.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
      This is a picture of the little girl I got off a news story. These Velcro straps are so very dangerous and begging for horrible tragedies. If a child needs these to stay in the saddle they are not ready to compete or ride... bottomline.

[ATTACH]846757[/ATTACH]

Good grief when did this stupid idea get started?

Comment

No horse is ever 100% predictable. I have been around them my whole life and to this day, i dont like to ride often because of a few injuries. But my wife sure seems to talk me back in the saddle several times a year for a quick ride across the pasture or around the property.
        Sad to hear of a young kid getting hurt or killed.

My wife and her sister both rode when they were in Tomball. Both rode barrels but my sister in law was a little more competitive and hardcore racing than my wife.
        One of her horses required riddelin and couldn't walk in the grand entry because of its nerves. Super wired, but freaky fast. She slipped rounding the second barrel rolling over my sister in law. The saddle horn caught her in the upper stomach/lower chest area. Luckily, it didnt puncture or cause internal injuries. But she was sore and black and blue for weeks.

Comment

Hug and kiss those kiddos every morning, night, and any other chance you get. Sad sad story.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
            Good grief when did this stupid idea get started?
            Its been around for a long time. My wife saw several do this when she was in Highschool little more than 11 years ago

Comment

Grew up ridding bulls and bareback as a sr in high school got kicked in face had face rebuilt had two friends killed ridding bulls, Rodeo is tough but would not trade a moment of my experiences both good and bad

Comment

Sad deal for sure. Prayers up for the family

My daughter rides and there is no way I would strap her into the saddle. The first thing we started working on is bailing off the horse. You have to match a horse to the skill of the rider. I have seen too many little girls on momma's barrel horse strapped in like that just to win a check. My daughter is in control of the horse and she decides how fast she wants to go. She is riding a 13 year old gelding right now that is great around other horses and around events. I bought her a new horse in December but it will probably be a year before my daughter gets to ride it because it is just too much horse for her right now.

Again very sad deal and prayers for the family

Comment

I as well grew up around rodeo and horses. I hate to hear stories like this. Prayers sent up to her family and friends.
                  Rest easy little angel

Comment

I always get the jitters when I see or think about young kids riding rough stock. Sure it's fun and glamorous, but the price can be unspeakable, particularly for a young person whose whole life is still in front of them.

Some time back, I was watching a high school rodeo. This little 17 year old kid came out on a big, wild, high-kicking bareback. He lost his grip and went over the back end when the horse threw down his head. The horse's kick caught him and spun him like an airplane propeller. It happened right in front of where I was sitting. The kid was permanently paralyzed from the neck down. I still have that mental movie in my head. What a waste of a fine young man's life.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruark View Post
                      I always get the jitters when I see or think about young kids riding rough stock. Sure it's fun and glamorous, but the price can be unspeakable, particularly for a young person whose whole life is still in front of them.

Some time back, I was watching a high school rodeo. This little 17 year old kid came out on a big, wild, high-kicking bareback. He lost his grip and went over the back end when the horse threw down his head. The horse's kick caught him and spun him like an airplane propeller. It happened right in front of where I was sitting. The kid was permanently paralyzed from the neck down. I still have that mental movie in my head. What a waste of a fine young man's life.
                      Hell you can say that about any sport...rodeo is just more dangerous. When I started riding bulls and bareback horses , my parents sent me to the best rodeo schools around. I learned the PROPER fundamentals first and foremost. What makes me cringe is seeing these parents who "rodeoed" back in the day, that couldn't ride the **** bucking pony at wal- mart telling these kids what to do. The kids don't learn the right fundamentals and are just thrown to the wolves.

Comment

Prayers for the family.

Comment

I grew up in Caldwell and learned to rope and ride in that arena. Very sad deal. Prayers sent.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                            Jeff I agree and I believe in some associations they aren't allowed. These things are heavy duty velcro, not the light weight stuff. The child has no escape in the event of a fall, flip or runaway. Unbelievable that parents knowingly or unknowingly use this kind of crap on their kids.

I feel horrible for her parents and in no way want to point blame but I can't believe this practice is allowed

I rodeo'd hard from Little Britches through College, in that time I had 3 horses come over for reasons varying from spooking to loosing footing backing up to an unknown pinched nerve. In every case I walked away but would have been seriously injured had I been tied into the saddle.

This is just another example of people letting the desire to win out weigh common sense. If your not cowboy or cowgirl enough for that horse then step down to a horse you can handle. Strapping very young kids to PRCA quality horses makes for very dangerous winning runs.

Kind of reminds me of the monkeys that were strapped to Australian Shepard dogs running barrels at the Houston rodeo years ago....

Comment

Originally posted by aggie2000tx View Post
                              Sad deal for sure. Prayers up for the family

My daughter rides and there is no way I would strap her into the saddle. The first thing we started working on is bailing off the horse. You have to match a horse to the skill of the rider. I have seen too many little girls on momma's barrel horse strapped in like that just to win a check. My daughter is in control of the horse and she decides how fast she wants to go. She is riding a 13 year old gelding right now that is great around other horses and around events. I bought her a new horse in December but it will probably be a year before my daughter gets to ride it because it is just too much horse for her right now.

Again very sad deal and prayers for the family
                              I totally agree. My daughter wanted a barrel horse at 12 and I said well you can get a reining horse and learn to ride first and foremost from one of the best local female reining trainers in our area. Once you learn to ride with sound fundamentals then I will get you a barrel horse that can win. Well she didn't have the passion for it and lost interest but there is no way I was putting her on a high end barrel horse without knowing how to ride first. Sure as heck wouldn't have strapped her in. I too have had horses come over on me and no way I want to be strapped in.

Ranchdog

Comment

Man, that's terribly sad, and hit's close to home as my 7 year old has started riding and wants to learn to run barrels. Prayers up for that family. I can't imagine the pain.

Comment

Working...
                                X