Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

has anyone ever caught a deer in a hog trap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caught three does last year

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
      Traps with tops should be illegal.

Comment

Not to steal your thread but I have a question. Not to long ago there was a thread about how long before you check traps if you have water and food available. I have caught a deer in a trap WITH a open top and was using DIESEL soured corn. Now my question is..
        If you have water and food in a trap and you only check it every 2-4 days what if you did catch a deer in your trap and you could have saved it by letting it out the day it was caught instead of checking it a couple days later? Deer will go nuts in a trap and I promise you they will not just set still and eat and drink until you get there to check your traps.
        Personally I think that the people who dont check there traps every day and catch a deer or a calf and the animal dies should lose there rights to set traps. This is just my opinion. Anything could happen even when we take measures to prevent accidents from happening so we all need to be responsible.

Comment

Originally posted by Rotag View Post
          Deer is fairly easy to get out of the trap. DO NOT GO INTO THE TRAP WITH A GROWN TURKEY NO MATTER HOW SAFE YOU UNCLE SAYS IT IS HE WILL KICK YOUR A@s@s

DONT ASK HOW I KNOW BUT THERE WAS NOT ROOM FOR BOTH OF US IN THE TRAP.
          I'm laughing out loud in my office!!! A guy on my lease had a run-in with a road-runner in his 15' tower box blind...that didn't turn out good either!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoyt Man View Post
            Not to steal your thread but I have a question. Not to long ago there was a thread about how long before you check traps if you have water and food available. I have caught a deer in a trap WITH a open top and was using DIESEL soured corn. Now my question is..
            If you have water and food in a trap and you only check it every 2-4 days what if you did catch a deer in your trap and you could have saved it by letting it out the day it was caught instead of checking it a couple days later? Deer will go nuts in a trap and I promise you they will not just set still and eat and drink until you get there to check your traps.
            Personally I think that the people who dont check there traps every day and catch a deer or a calf and the animal dies should lose there rights to set traps. This is just my opinion. Anything could happen even when we take measures to prevent accidents from happening so we all need to be responsible.
            Agreed. If you aren't able to check it every day, it should be either wired open or someone who can make it out to check it should be designated to do so to prevent this from happening. It sucks to see animals suffer when it should've been avoided.

Comment

yep......they always get greedy!

Comment

I've trapped a doe and nubbin' buck in 20 yrs of trapping hogs every August and September before deer season. Both deer survived. My guess is I did more good for the deer herd by killing dozens of hogs than the trauma I caused those two deer, but I understand some might disagree. Just 'sayin.

Comment

Yes - Caught a spike in one with 6ft sides and he had to be put down from trying to jump out. Also, caught a yearling in a treap with a top and he tried to run through the side when we were openeing the gate to let him out. He made it okay after release.

Comment

caught one 3 days ago in trap. My cousin said it was a buck with pretty good sized bases. He got it out OK.

Comment

Working...
                    X