Backpacking tent??? Worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fishxbones View Post
    I'm a tarp and bag/hammock guy. Larger tents are nice but simplicity and weight means more to me. Depends on what's a luxury to you...
    Yea this is what my friends are using now when they hunt elk.

Comment

Buy it. I have done several trips in a $40 A-frame i bought on Amazon. Works just fine and serves its purpose.

Went on a backcountry trip this year at around 10,000' and my buddy had this same tent. Did great for the 5 days we were there

Comment

Backpacking tent??? Worth it?

UPDATE:

I’ve found a Big Agnes fly creek HV 1 and 2 on clearance. The 2 is $233. Only problem is they are yellow....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by DapperDan; 10-17-2017, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Look at hammockforums.com. Might be surprised how people are hammock camping.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm a hammock guy as well! Bought myself a Hennessey a few years ago for motorcycle trips and will never sleep on the ground again! If you've never tried one, ya should!!

Comment

REAL TALK = you could buy it for $40 and likely double your money on ebay or the classifieds here. That's really reasonable for an ultralite tent.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                UPDATE:

I’ve found a Big Agnes fly creek HV 1 and 2 on clearance. The 2 is $233. Only problem is they are yellow....

You're sleeping in it, not waving it around at deer/elk. Get it if it's a good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by MLank View Post
                  You're sleeping in it, not waving it around at deer/elk. Get it if it's a good deal.

Lol. I hate yellow!

Comment

Lol. I hate yellow!

Good thing you sleep with your eyes closed.

Comment

UPDATE:

Mine is yellow, I haven't died yet.

Comment

Originally posted by MLank View Post
                        Good thing you sleep with your eyes closed.

True! Wish the olive color was on sale

Comment

Look at the Mountainsmith LT. They can usually be found under $100 and now come in green..

Comment

I have the Alps extreme which is the 3 person version of the one you are asking about just has an extra tent pole.

I have hiked 20 miles on the longest trip with it in my Eberlestock J34 pack with supplies fop 4 days plus a rifle. It wasn't to heavy and works pretty good. I have camped in it from October to February with no issues. The vestibule area comes in handy to be able to leave your pack under it and give you more room inside. $40 sound like a heck of a deal. I would be all over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
                              I'd go with a 2-3 person UL tent myself...its really nice when you're weathered in to be able to move around and get comfortable. You can also set your stuff out and keep it clean. If I end up taking peeps out hunting with me, we can divy out the tent and share the weight.

Also nice to have the space when the wife comes along

At 3 lb, 8 oz I can't complain and can find elsewhere to shed some weight for my 3 person mansion , I mean tent to come along.

I agree. I would also go with a 2 man tent. I have a kuiu mountain star 2 person tent. If it’s a 2 person tent I’d hate to see the 1 person! Plus you need to get some of your gear out of the weather also. I brought my bow in with me, believe it or not mice are terrible in southern Colorado. I did t like the idea of leaving it on the ground outside the tent all night. And it rains EVERY afternoon! I think you will want more room then a 1p tent will give you.

Comment

Originally posted by wacm View Post
                                I agree. I would also go with a 2 man tent. I have a kuiu mountain star 2 person tent. If it’s a 2 person tent I’d hate to see the 1 person! Plus you need to get some of your gear out of the weather also. I brought my bow in with me, believe it or not mice are terrible in southern Colorado. I did t like the idea of leaving it on the ground outside the tent all night. And it rains EVERY afternoon! I think you will want more room then a 1p tent will give you.

I’ve decided on a two man. Are the mice bad about getting into food or eating into packs or into the tent?

Comment

Working...
                                X