No announcement yet.

No AC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These days if the hvac system is down in the school they shut the school down till it is repaired.

Comment

There are lots of folks that don't have A/C in their house. Most of them can't afford internet service and login to TBH to tell you about it though.

Shade, water, and air circulation go a really long way. The worst part about power going out isn't just the A/C... it is not having power to run a fan.

In my hunting cabin... if it's hot, I just keep the two doors open and run a fan to force a breeze and I'll be fine.

Comment

Some sweaty mattresses back in the day!

Comment

I grew up with no ac but had ceiling fans in most every room. Granted i grew up in HI so houses were built with windows to catch the trade winds and 95% of the year no ac was needed

Comment

It is remarkable how fast you get used to it. One of my sons used to spend a the month of July every summer as a counselor at a camp in central Texas with no AC. When he got home he couldn't stand to be in the house - too cold. For the first few days back he would set the upstairs thermostat where his room is at 80*

Comment

I stayed in a house in CO two weeks ago that didn't have AC. Even with the high only around 80 it was too dang hot. We had all the doors and windows open with fans circulating air all day and night.

Comment

I remember no AC in elementary school in the mid 1960's. Teachers always opened the windows and we had the big oscillating fans in the room. Fun times. NOT!

Comment

Those afternoons in the house in 100 degrees were more bearable because I had walked to and from school for five miles in the snow.

Actually, we had a couple of window units in our house in the 60's. My elementary school had no A/C. I can't imagine how the teachers kept our attention after lunch and PE and then we were sitting in classrooms in 90+ degrees.
                  I remember when we had central air installed in our house. I was probably 8 or 9. My brother and I went running through the house doing flips exclaiming "its cool in here, too!"

Comment

That is one of the main reasons we were never inside when we stayed at my grandparents. Swamp cooler and a fan is all they had, it was miserable inside. They've only had an AC in their bedroom for maybe 15 years now, AC in the living room for 10 or so.

Comment

I guess I'm a little younger than most, but can someone explain to me what an attic fan is? I'm having a hard time visualizing it...

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                        I guess I'm a little younger than most, but can someone explain to me what an attic fan is? I'm having a hard time visualizing it...
                        Big fan in the attic over a large (often 2'x4') vent in the ceiling. The fan sucks air out of the house and into the attic creating airflow, pulling air from outside through open windows.

Comment

Large front porch where even 100 degrees is comfortable with the breeze blowing through it.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                            Big fan in the attic over a large (often 2'x4') vent in the ceiling. The fan sucks air out of the house and into the attic creating airflow, pulling air from outside through open windows.
                            I believe it also pushes the cooler air from inside the house into the attic, which pushes the hot attic air out the room usually through the gable end vents.

There is also usually barometric dampers installed on the fan, so when the fan was off the living space was isolated from the attic, so to speak.

Comment

As previously stated, if you never had AC, you didn't know what you were missing.

My dad didn't have AC in his house growing up. They did have an attic fan and he remembers it being pretty comfortable at night. I'm sure he would think differently now.

Comment

Had a.c. at home but did not have in school until high school

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X