No announcement yet.

Strange Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange recipes, let's see. Somewhere I have a cookbook with a recipe in it for cooking an elephant's foot. I'm sure there must be other strange things in there as well. If I find it and there's anything else interesting in there, I'll post it here.

Also, I once tried fox. We just seasoned, breaded and fried up pieces of the leg in a little oil. I wouldn't recommend it. Tasted pretty gamey.

Comment

Lol. I hope you can find that cookbook.

Comment

Well just wondering if anybody has come across anything new?

Comment

How about a recipe for fried brain?

Comment

I did find a recipe for deer brain. I will post it when I can find it again.

Comment

Hummmm.... What about snake recipes?

Comment

LOL. No snake eaters?

Comment

Originally posted by big papa View Post
                  Has anyone ever heard of gar patties? If so whats the recipe?
                  I have a lot of recipes that may seem strange but I will just list a few.

Gar balls in a gravy are amazing. First take the fillets of gar fish. Take a fork and rake agaisnt the grain of the meat until the fillet is shredded. Next boil potatoes. I like to mix approx. 60% gar to 40% potatoes. Once potatoes are boiled pour into large bowl with the gar fish. Next add cut bell pepper, parsley, green onions, yellow onions, garlic powder, red pepper, black pepper and salt. Next roll into balls and dredge in flour. After this you can do 2 things you can simply fry them and serve as appetizers which is excelent or you can Put a small amount of oil in a black pot and start browning the gar balls that are dredgd in flour. Do this until the balls are golden brown. Next add one large yellow onion and one bell pepper. Brown this down then add one can of rotel and one can of tomatoe paste along with 2 health table spoons o butter. Cook for approximately 1 and 1/2 hours until sauce become thick and serve over medium grain rice.

Another really good recipe is Alligator snapping turtle. Clean the turtle(which can be challenging). Once you have the meat brown the desired amount in cast iron pot. Once browned add one large yellow onion, one bell pepper, minced garlic, and green onions. Sautee this down then cover the top of the meat with water.(I sometimes add a can of mushroom steak sauce to this also) Next season to taste with red and black pepper along with salt.(remember if adding mushroom steak sauce to be careful how much salt you add b/c this stuff is pretty salty). Serve over medium grain rice with a slice of garlic bread and smothered snap beans and watch out.

Comment

Man those sound good. Do you have any more strange recipes?

Comment

Originally posted by big papa View Post
                      Hummmm.... What about snake recipes?
                      The several times that I've eaten snake, I just cut them into 2" long chunks. Seasoned them with some cajun seasoning and then rolled it in flour and fried it to a golden brown. The only kind that I've eaten was rattle snake. Cotten-mouth's stink too bad for me to even try to skin them.

Comment

LOL. I don't blame you!

Comment

I just got a new one for Bowfin (grenal, grendel, etc.)

Ingredients:
                          bowfin filets
                          Potatoes
                          Cayan Pepper
                          Cajun Seasoning
                          1 Green Pepper Chopped
                          1 Onion Chopped
                          Salt
                          Butter
                          Milk
                          Cooking Oil

Directions:
                          Run the bowfin filets through a food processor until all the meat is chopped but not pureed. Cook potatoes until soft and thin whip with butter and milk. The consistency you are shooting for here would allow the mashed potatoes to stand up in the corner of your kitchen. Mix the processed bowfin meat, mashed potatoes and everything else in a big bowl. The amount you add of spice depends on your personal taste. Form the mixture into individual balls(boulets) about the size of good hush puppies. Drop the balls into hot oil and deep-fry about 10 minutes or until golden brown done. Don't over cook.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
                            I've heard of gar patties and had some before but wasn't sure exactly how they were made. It was a long time ago but I think it had something to do with a pressure cooker and it cooks bones and all kinda like what you'd get out of canned salmon. Then add a egg, flower, seasonings and make patties and fry em up. Then again, I could be completely wrong, just guessin on how they did it.
                            you ain't wrong... works with carp and buffalo also... can't tell it from salmon

Comment

Originally posted by firecapt186 View Post
                              The several times that I've eaten snake, I just cut them into 2" long chunks. Seasoned them with some cajun seasoning and then rolled it in flour and fried it to a golden brown. The only kind that I've eaten was rattle snake. Cotten-mouth's stink too bad for me to even try to skin them.
                              For rattlesnake...
                              I make a wash of egg and milk... mix 50% corn meal and 50% flour and deep fry till the chunks float...

Comment

How do you prepare a snake for cooking (skinning, gutting, etc.) Also has anybody ever eatten copperhead?

Comment

Working...
                                X