Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Mountains Are Calling...

Ha!^^^^^^^

These guys are all trad hunters and don’t have any sights or releases!

It would be a good idea if they carried an extra tab or glove in their pack though!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Nicely put, Bisch. I saw that, and was trying to figure out how to comment while avoiding any hard feelings for honest suggestions that just didn't quite apply to our guys.

Comment

Was gonna say something... but glad ya came through Bisch! I always have 2 extra “shot-in” gloves in my pack, and shoot several shots every session without any glove at all, just in case I ever do something real dumb (very possible) and misplace all 3! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
          Nicely put, Bisch. I saw that, and was trying to figure out how to comment while avoiding any hard feelings for honest suggestions that just didn't quite apply to our guys.

After seeing the Around the Campfire forum the last few days, it appears hard feelings are in season! 🤣[emoji15][emoji15]🤣

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Snow in the high country guys, get ready!

Carry extra judo points for grouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Hunter View Post
              Congrats to all of you heading out! Enjoy the adventure.

Quick Notes: No lighted site pins in Colorado..Take them off if you have them on your bow. Check the wind, check the wind, and the check the wind. Take the first open shot opportunity that is in your range. Nothing ruins a moment like having one stop broadside at 40 to enter the pines coming on his way directly to you, then you are waiting for him to get to 30 and then he gets nervously turns away and never comes closer. Never stop in the wide open. Try to stop beside a small bush, Aspen or Pine. Take an extra release with at all times. You might sit down to take a break and you forget it or accidentally drop it. Stay Hydrated. Take a small tube of Vaseline (unscented) for your inside your nose to keep it from drying out in the dry Colorado air.
              Great advice Still Hunter. As others have pointed out, we are using simple stick and string, so the lighted pins, etc, were not things we considered. I did have to look up the legality of lighted nocks a few days ago... and happy to see CO passed a law "recently" that allows them. No releases, but tabs and gloves, and I'll make sure I have a spare in my day pack. I'll adjust your yardage down from 40/30 down to 25/20... and yep, still good advice. Still hunting/spot and stalk is a different beast... most of us, on this trip, love that style of hunting even here in Texas, so we'll just have to remember the basics.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                Snow in the high country guys, get ready!

Carry extra judo points for grouse.
                I'm gonna bring some zwickeys (Tiger Sharks are my Elk head) for grouse. I've done some recent reading/research on it and I just suspect that with the feathers, like a turkey, a broadhead would be better. I'm not sure how well my wingnut heads will work with the plumage. The big question I need to answer is whether or not I'll build out some FLU-FLUs in case I see one up in the tree and not on a lower limb/ground.

Comment

Judos work just fine but broadheads will be deadly. Flu -flus are not a bad idea. Spent many a minute throwing sticks up in trees to get my arrows back.
                  We hunt zwickeys for elk and grouse , when the judos have flown the quiver.
                  Judos are easier to get out of trees by the way, lol.

The best cover scent to use is an elk pee spot, preferably a cow. We carry an empty ziplock bag and when we cross a fresh spot an elk has peed we gather up the dirt. Spread some on your hat or clothing and you'll smell like a fresh elk. It will keep for at least a week or so if out of the direct sun and heat.

Comment

They called, I answered. Saw a couple great bulls and some cows. I have to get back to work and have to eat tag soup yet again! I don’t know, I’ll head up for a short trip mid September. It was 34 at night and 72 during the day. Ten percent success rate with a bow. I think you may have cut that number down a bit with a stick bow! Still a great trip to beat the Texas heat!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	3CE268BB-47E9-4C16-8D2A-CC47803B7284.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	24551283
                      I love the mountains! The beauty of God’s country!

Comment

[ATTACH]922225[/ATTACH]

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	3CF1D53A-9705-4498-B952-49D0A0A1C351.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	24551285
                          A bull rub I found minutes after a big 6x6 and me saw each other at same time. I sat watching that rub for a couple mornings after that. Nothing except 15 cows passing just out range. I really need get back up there!

Comment

Good luck be safe and hope you enjoy your trip.

Comment

It's getting close and time is draaaaaaaggggiiinnngggg by. So ready to get on the road!!

Comment

Looks like you had a great time Ken!!

Comment

Working...
                                X