Dogs and new babies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dogs and new babies...

I have an 8 year old Vizsla that is my best friend. I’ve had her through some rough times and we’ve been all over Texas together. She’s slept with my nieces and nephews and has been around older kids the last 4 years.

My son was born 8/10/2017 and he just started crawling in the last 2 weeks. My Vizsla is pretty jealous of the baby even when I try to give her what little extra time I have. For 8 years she’s been all of my free time, so it’s a big adjustment.

Last week she snapped at my son when he tried to crawl over her. I was not in the room and wouldn’t have let that happen, but I can’t be there all the time. She didn’t get him, but it was a clear warning. On Thursday, my wife had my son in her arms and my dog was laying on the bed. She let my son pet Coco and Coco turned around and nipped him above the eye. It was enough to break skin.

So now I sit here trying to decide what to do. Anyone that has a young kid knows they are all over the place. The last few days I’ve kept my dog out of the family areas using a baby gate but Vizslas don’t do well when they are isolated from the family.

I know many people here think dogs are tools, but this dog has been my best friend through some rough times over the years. We literally did everything together.

At this point I feel like my only choices are to gate her away from the baby (which is difficult with in-home childcare) or find a couple without kids or with older kids that will take her.

Any ideas from the green screen? Anyone have/had a similar problem? I love my dog, but I love my son more.

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
    I have an 8 year old Vizsla that is my best friend. I’ve had her through some rough times and we’ve been all over Texas together. She’s slept with my nieces and nephews and has been around older kids the last 4 years.

My son was born 8/10/2017 and he just started crawling in the last 2 weeks. My Vizsla is pretty jealous of the baby even when I try to give her what little extra time I have. For 8 years she’s been all of my free time, so it’s a big adjustment.

Last week she snapped at my son when he tried to crawl over her. I was not in the room and wouldn’t have let that happen, but I can’t be there all the time. She didn’t get him, but it was a clear warning. On Thursday, my wife had my son in her arms and my dog was laying on the bed. She let my son pet Coco and Coco turned around and nipped him above the eye. It was enough to break skin.

So now I sit here trying to decide what to do. Anyone that has a young kid knows they are all over the place. The last few days I’ve kept my dog out of the family areas using a baby gate but Vizslas don’t do well when they are isolated from the family.

I know many people here think dogs are tools, but this dog has been my best friend through some rough times over the years. We literally did everything together.

At this point I feel like my only choices are to gate her away from the baby (which is difficult with in-home childcare) or find a couple without kids or with older kids that will take her.

Any ideas from the green screen? Anyone have/had a similar problem? I love my dog, but I love my son more.
    Can you make her an outside dog?

Comment

I'm not the best for advice on this but my thought is you may need to give her to someone.
      Maybe take her to the Vet first to see if she has something ailing her that makes her hurt or is painful to her. Even if the Vet finds an issue I would probably still be wondering if it might happen again. That's why I think giving her away to someone you know or approve will be the answer. Hate to hear it for you.

Comment

Hard as it is, the dog needs to go. We had yorkie who my wife loved dearly. When my son was born, we had her almost two years. She started losing it and couldn’t understand. One nip and I told her the dog is leaving. She was upset but knew it was the right decision. I found an adoption agency who placed her with some elderly folks. She went back to being herself and was a great dog again. If the dog hurts your baby you’ll never forgive yourself. Good luck and enjoy these times with your boy. They grow quick

Comment

I’ve always had large dogs since I was living on my own, Rottweilers,German Shepherdsand mastiffs. I took a class on dog training back in the 80’s and I learned a lot about dog behavior, I was single unmarried til I was 41 and didn’t have kids til I was 44. I had 2 dogue de Bordeaux’s and they were our kids until our son was born. They were older and passed before my sons were born my wife and I missed having a dogue so we bought another pup and socialized her into our pack as our boys have gotten older she knows her place we eat first the boys can walk her , all 135 lbs of her. She protects the family while we are here and like most mastiffs are very loyal. Vizlas are very loyal also but the dog mentality is that her place is next to you as the alpha female and doesn’t respect your child . It’s prevelant with dominant breed dogs. When my wife and I got our first mastiff and he was a pup I showed her how to show our male her dominance over him when he was a 100 lb 9 month old. She gave him a Tbone and I told her to take it from him, she tried nervously and he growled I said now watch as I commanded him to sit and took the bone as mine we worked on that drill until she had no fear or nervousness around him. Never again did he growl snap or try anything after she set her dominance over him as a pup. You have to make her understand her place in your pack she won’t like it but she will adhere to it if you persist.

Comment

I am sure it's an excruciating decision but the dog needs to go to a new home or be made a full time outside dog. I think sometimes we forget that while dogs can be great pets and be considered family members they are still animals that can not reason.

Comment

I’ll be the dissenting voice. The dog is just being a dog. It’s pack structure has changed and it’s trying to identify where it is in the order. Asset yourself over the dog, display favor to the baby. Never leave the two alone. The dog will figure it’s been bumped down a notch

Comment

If I was put in this situation as much as I love my dog he would be gone that day.

Comment

I’m facing the same situation. Our baby was born the day after Christmas, and we have had the dog for over nine years now. Our dog is still figuring out how the baby fits into the hierarchy, but she is learning. The dog growled at the baby once about a month ago, and I was all over her ***. The baby absolutely loves our dog. She tries to crawl down to the dog any chance she can get. Earlier tonight, the dog was licking our baby’s legs and feet. She’s starting to show improvement.

As stupid as some may feel, my wife and I have treated our dog like a child since we got her. If the dog was to bite the baby, I would feel horrible and give the dog to my dad or mother-in-law.

I would make sure to be involved in all interactions between the baby and dog. Our dog used to lay in our bed too. Sorry, but that has to end. Now. Hopefully, I don’t have to make the decision that you are facing. Good luck, brother.

Comment

Try spanking the dog a good one next time it barks or even looks at the kid wrong let alone nip him. One good one is usually the only lesson my dog has ever needed. It's worth a shot b4 u have to consider getting rid of the dog. You just let the dog know, you step out of line again, the fear of jesus will be upon you.

Comment

Dog gone or child hurt . No brainier

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

This isn't a hard choice.

Your child is infinitely more important than your dog.

Comment

You also have to think about the next couple of years. If your son just started crawling he is going to be walking and testing his bourndries real soon. I have a 19 month old who is getting into anything and you can’t reason with them about not harassing the dog or pulling on a dogs tail or ears. If there is any sign that the dog will react negatively to him I think you have to find a way to separate them.

Comment

Well, dog vs baby....

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
                              Dog gone or child hurt . No brainier

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                              X2

Comment

Working...
                              X