Black Panthers in TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
    Stay away from the purple acid. . . especially at New Year blowouts.

That didn’t start until I arrived

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use to hunt in apple springs couple years ago. Was sitting in my stand along the pipeline and out of nowhere heard one scream. It will make the hair on your neck stand up that's for sure. I didnt see it but the guy who ran the lease saw them couple times around the lease.

Comment

[QUOTE=Chew;13706269]Surely you jest. You are one of the lucky few that has seen the elusive black panther. And you have wildlife biologist friends that are able to identify pigmentation by sound. And you must have a broken sarcasm meter because everything I said was in good fun.

Sorry I ruined your dark colored accent having panther party.

What i was getting at is that i know i seen something as a teen but the older i get I'm doubting it was a panther. As for color even back then i wasn't sure it was black, it was a dark color but it was late evening and there was dark timber on each side of the pipeline.

I know you was just kidding, just after a 5am meeting and the first day of a very screwed up shutdown i probably took it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Cjh94 View Post
          Headed up to Weatherford from Waco this last New Years. Saw a black cat hauling across the snow; I know dang well it wasn’t a feral cat.

You're probably right in that it was most likely a dog.

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
            You're probably right in that it was most likely a dog.

Ah dang. You’re right [emoji23] I’m just saying it’s naive to say xyz don’t exist just because someone hasn’t seen xyz.

Comment

So do you know for a fact that they aren’t here? Did you also know that they were indigenous to Texas back around the 1800’s? Come into the Waco Cabela’s; there’s a picture you might like.

Thanks for reminding me about the 1800s photo. Isn't it right next to the Jackalope display?

[emoji3][emoji16][emoji23][emoji23][emoji1787]

Comment

I caught one on cam and lived to tell about it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

So let's look at this scientifically. There are either two options. Option number one... There are no black panthers. Option number two... There are black panthers but they are so intuitive and elysuve that they can avoid millions of trail cameras, video cameras, and moving vehicles on the roadway.

Even the rare ocelot from down south gets hit by cars and captured on photos. So once again... There either are no black panthers or they are magical. I think I'll Trust the scientists who say it's physically impossible for a mountain lion to get the black pigment Gene. Unlike a deer who can be black, albino, or piebald.

every black panther sighting is always right at dark or right at the sun's coming up. And it's always crossing the road in a Flash. It's never underneath the deer feeder stalking a deer or quail.

I can honestly say that I have enjoyed all 500 black panther sighting threads on TBH since I joined in 2003. I will enjoy them even more when somebody provides a trail cam picture, and ldp, or a roadkill Panther. When that day comes not only will I be happy, but I will send you a check or money order for $500.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                    Thanks for reminding me about the 1800s photo. Isn't it right next to the Jackalope display?

[emoji3][emoji16][emoji23][emoji23][emoji1787]

[emoji23][emoji23] that was good. But I wasn’t referring to an 1800’s picture.

Comment

When I was about 12 me and my cousin were driving around their lease in Goldthwaite and would swear that we saw one cross the road in front of us. I can still see it to this day, 28 years later, but even i don't believe me.

Comment

[emoji23][emoji23] that was good. But I wasn’t referring to an 1800’s picture.

Oops. My bad. I misread that. Well surely the only confirmed black Panther photo would be all over the Internet and biologists would have studied it and came to verify with hair and DNA samples. I'll sit back and wait on that link. [emoji16][emoji16]

Comment

So do you know for a fact that they aren’t here? Did you also know that they were indigenous to Texas back around the 1800’s? Come into the Waco Cabela’s; there’s a picture you might like.

Yes, we know for a fact that they aren't here. Unless you're talking about jagurundi, which you're not. Here's why...

Black panthers are the melanistic phase of the jaguar. There are no black mountain lions. Not an animal. Do not exist.

While it is true that the native range for jaguars used to include Texas, they were extirpated around 1900. The reason I wrote "were extirpated" is because there has recently been a confirmation of a jaguar crossing the Mexico border into New Mexico, so it's possible that you might have the same cat make its way briefly into far West Texas. But that's not really all that relevant to the "black panthers in Texas" discussion, because most of those sightings are in East Texas. But anyhow...

The percentage of jaguars that reflect the black color phase is 6%. 94% of them are your typical spotted variety.

In order to have all these "black panthers" running around, you'd have, on average, 13 regular jaguars for every "black panther". Yet you never hear anyone claim they saw a plain jane regular jaguar. Why? Because it's stupid and no you did not.

But for some reason, you have all these otherwise seemingly credible hunters, etc. that swear up and down they have seen black panthers. They never claim to have seen jaguars, which again would be 13 times more prevalent if they actually existed in Texas. Nope, it's always "black panthers". Why?

Mistaken identity. A whole lot of things will appear black when running through the shadows in the woods. Dogs (many of which are actually black), deer, feral cats, you name it. The right light conditions can make a tan animal appear black.

It is a fact that black panthers are not running around the woods in Texas. Though I do believe you believe you saw one. That obviously happens a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post

Boom
                            Roasted.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                              I can still see it to this day, 28 years later, but even i don't believe me.

Good call. [emoji6][emoji38]

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post

Well. I guess I wouldn't be a real man if I couldn't admit that I was wrong. I just want to know how much money you got for selling that to the Waco's Cabela?

Comment

Working...
                                X