No announcement yet.

Pat Mayse WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in the day the old Sabine bottom wma didn't have the 13 inch rule like the county did. The biologist set the rules of the WMA. They do not have to follow the same restrictions as the county. Most that are archery only allow you to shoot doe all season long.

Comment

Decided to visit Pat again for opening day. Spot and stalked a group of pigs but missed both times. Busted by a doe but was a learning experience. Learned a lot from one of the veteran hunters. Tag soup again but better than being at home wishing

Comment

Originally posted by Acostades View Post
        Decided to visit Pat again for opening day. Spot and stalked a group of pigs but missed both times. Busted by a doe but was a learning experience. Learned a lot from one of the veteran hunters. Tag soup again but better than being at home wishing
        Good deal man! Keep at it

Comment

Anyone do any summer scouting here?

Comment

Pat Mays is overran by hunters... it was decent 20 years ago....

Comment

I have never bow hunted at Pat Mayse WMA..or any other public lands in Texas. Are you allowed to "scope out" any areas before the season? After the season begins, do you have to check in and they "assign" you a specific area?

Appreciate any help from ya'll.

Comment

Bolden, just check the regs for each area or call the TPWD rep for each. I walked areas 7C and some of 8A today, hot. A lot of 8A was recently burned.

Comment

I've read over the regs and I think I have a decent understanding, but there were a few things I didnt get. I'm planning on scoping out 5A and 5B next week. Appreciate the heads up on the area thats been burned.

Comment

Good deal. 5A has the check station and primitive campground, 5B I didn't touch. From what I understand, the roads are closed into the WMA all the time, so temper your walk-in distance with the walk-out/drag-out distance.

I actually enjoyed my little bit of scouting in PM, mature oaks/pines/hickory. Found some hog sign, a few deer blowing at me. Otherwise it was hot!

We camped in Sanders Cove on Pat Mayse, real nice campground.

Comment

sage advice

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                      Good deal. 5A has the check station and primitive campground, 5B I didn't touch. From what I understand, the roads are closed into the WMA all the time, so temper your walk-in distance with the walk-out/drag-out distance.

I actually enjoyed my little bit of scouting in PM, mature oaks/pines/hickory. Found some hog sign, a few deer blowing at me. Otherwise it was hot!

We camped in Sanders Cove on Pat Mayse, real nice campground.
                      …….Sage advice...… dragging a deer out of them bottoms can test your level of fitness....

Comment

Working...
                      X