Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking About Coming off the Rage, What head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big John View Post
    Viper Trick
    Gets my vote.

Comment

Can't go wrong with Muzzy trocar switch the are a fixed blade that adjusts from 1" to 1 1/4".

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
        I really like the looks of the Simmons Mako anyone shooting these?
        i've shot the makos and really like them
        currently my set up is fmj's with simmons tiger shark 175 gr
        the just introduced a 135 gr head this yr
        good flight at 250 fps

Comment

I’ve been shooting rage hypos for a couple of years. But this year I went a different route. QAD Exodus. I’ve shot three animals with them; 1) 190# boar through near shoulder and our behind opposite - ran 60 yards with decent blood, 2) whitetail buck quartering away in pocket out opposite shoulder - dropped 25 yards from impact with a ridiculous blood trail, 3) whitetail buck smack dab in middle of shoulder - dropped on impact. I shot grizz tricks before the hypos with marginal results. Loving the Exodus though. Tough tough tough. Very sharp thick blades. Fly great. Oh and all made in the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by mdnabors View Post
            I took a lot of the factors out of it when I went to Heavy arrows with more FOC. I shoot micro diameter (.166) VAP Elite 300 Spine with 90gr SS outserts getting me around 500gr and ~15% FOC. They hit like a Hammer! I hunt big KS deer too and that’s the reason I upped my weight and went with a more powerful bow (~300fps with 500gr arrow). I didn’t want “bone or accidental bad shot” to rid me of a big deer. My 160” I killed this year was a 43yd complete pass through with arrow about 10-15yds passed him with a Rage Chisel Extreme 2.3”. I want biggest cut I can get with 2 holes thus my setup. I also practice out to 80-100yds myself so practice and shot placement are key, but my confidence went up knowing if I err forward I’m still gonna get into the vitals with my setup. FWIW my options for fixed would be Exodus, SerRazor, Ramcats or Shuttle T... Good Luck on axis hunt and finding setup that works for you
            What bow are you shooting?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoyt125 View Post
              How about best of both? Bloodsport grave digger
              Not only nope, but ### no! Been there ad done that and will not go back!

Comment

Originally posted by mdnabors View Post
                I took a lot of the factors out of it when I went to Heavy arrows with more FOC. I shoot micro diameter (.166) VAP Elite 300 Spine with 90gr SS outserts getting me around 500gr and ~15% FOC. They hit like a Hammer! I hunt big KS deer too and that’s the reason I upped my weight and went with a more powerful bow (~300fps with 500gr arrow). I didn’t want “bone or accidental bad shot” to rid me of a big deer. My 160” I killed this year was a 43yd complete pass through with arrow about 10-15yds passed him with a Rage Chisel Extreme 2.3”. I want biggest cut I can get with 2 holes thus my setup. I also practice out to 80-100yds myself so practice and shot placement are key, but my confidence went up knowing if I err forward I’m still gonna get into the vitals with my setup. FWIW my options for fixed would be Exodus, SerRazor, Ramcats or Shuttle T... Good Luck on axis hunt and finding setup that works for you
                Them arrows are light! LOL! Sounds like a great set up.

Mine are 595 grains with 19-20% FOC.

Comment

Rage and their customer service is horrible. I threw away a pack if their defective heads and will never spend another dime with feradyne outdoors.

Comment

I shoot Rage heads out of my compound. They normally punch through the shoulders of Texas deer. If you hit the solid part of the bone at the joint area it's going to be hard for the average set up to punch through.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
                      Rage and their customer service is horrible. I threw away a pack if their defective heads and will never spend another dime with feradyne outdoors.
                      Really? I had a great experience with their customer service, they even helped me out when they didn’t need to

Comment

i haven't read all of the replys so this may have been said already, if so I apologize.

do yourself a favor and do a little research on tuning your bow. the reason you couldn't get fixed heads to fly with field points is a tuning issue. (meaning your arrow isn't flying "straight") sure it might hit where you're aiming, but its not hitting straight. this has a lot to do with your penetration issues. add an expandable to the equation, and it is magnifying the penetration issue. I have little doubt that your set-up with a good fixed head would have broke that bone, ive seen it, hell ive done it on a mature Kansas buck. my set up is 62lbs at 27.5" draw. a fixed head is going to penetrate better than an expandable, but that doesn't mean you need to be shooting a fixed head. you just need to get a better tune on your bow. I think this will fix your problem. arrows that fly like darts will always penetrate better.

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
                          Really? I had a great experience with their customer service, they even helped me out when they didn’t need to
                          I’m glad it worked out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
                            i haven't read all of the replys so this may have been said already, if so I apologize.

do yourself a favor and do a little research on tuning your bow. the reason you couldn't get fixed heads to fly with field points is a tuning issue. (meaning your arrow isn't flying "straight") sure it might hit where you're aiming, but its not hitting straight. this has a lot to do with your penetration issues. add an expandable to the equation, and it is magnifying the penetration issue. I have little doubt that your set-up with a good fixed head would have broke that bone, ive seen it, hell ive done it on a mature Kansas buck. my set up is 62lbs at 27.5" draw. a fixed head is going to penetrate better than an expandable, but that doesn't mean you need to be shooting a fixed head. you just need to get a better tune on your bow. I think this will fix your problem. arrows that fly like darts will always penetrate better.
                            Can you "tune" a bow without a bow press?

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
                              Can you "tune" a bow without a bow press?
                              Absolutely. Look on YouTube, there are lots of good videos.
                              I'm no guru, and I guess there could be some cases where you would need a press, but I've never run into one. I have only tuned about 5 bows, and all of them were different it seems. But end result is the same.
                              Just this year my my broadheads we're about 4" right and low at 20 yards to about 8" at 40 yards. It took me a few days but with some time and tinkering it's lights out field tips/broadheads out to 60 yards. (That's as far as I shoot). Before tuning, my field tips we're dead on out to 60. Without knowing any better, you would have thought it was tuned.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
                                Absolutely. Look on YouTube, there are lots of good videos.
                                I'm no guru, and I guess there could be some cases where you would need a press, but I've never run into one. I have only tuned about 5 bows, and all of them were different it seems. But end result is the same.
                                Just this year my my broadheads we're about 4" right and low at 20 yards to about 8" at 40 yards. It took me a few days but with some time and tinkering it's lights out field tips/broadheads out to 60 yards. (That's as far as I shoot). Before tuning, my field tips we're dead on out to 60. Without knowing any better, you would have thought it was tuned.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
                                Do you paper tune? Or is it beyond that?

Comment

Working...
                                X