Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Business Owners/Entrepreneurs Thread. Your story?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In to learn

Comment

My business is 30 years old. Found working for the man had a glass ceiling and I was never going to get rich no matter how much money I made them. Started with 3K in the bank and a newish truck.

Do not count, worry, freak out. Just do it and let us know how you are doing next year....

Comment

In cool thread!

Comment

in to soak up some knowledge

Comment

In. I would like to open a storage unit facility if anyone has any tips besides location, location, location.

Comment

I know this will sound a bit cheesy BUT..... my wife got payed off at 52 years old, a little to young to really retire especially since I’m still working 40 plus hours. I ask her what she would like to do, I can pay all the bills just a little to help out (I was thinking part time) well she started a pet care business and wow was I skeptical. I now eat crow everyday for dinner because we make more than my regular job we make over 100,000 by boarding dogs and I can retire (with pension and insurance at 55) and I will be her helper

Comment

Originally posted by Passafist View Post
                I know this will sound a bit cheesy BUT..... my wife got payed off at 52 years old, a little to young to really retire especially since I’m still working 40 plus hours. I ask her what she would like to do, I can pay all the bills just a little to help out (I was thinking part time) well she started a pet care business and wow was I skeptical. I now eat crow everyday for dinner because we make more than my regular job we make over 100,000 by boarding dogs and I can retire (with pension and insurance at 55) and I will be her helper
                Crow is good sometimes ... sounds like a nice outcome. Wish we would do something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Passafist View Post
                  When I was a freshman in college I worked for a doggy daycare and boarding facility in downtown Honolulu. After the first year I started wanting to learn more about the business and the owner (38yo woman) walked me through the books I was blown away.

Crow sounds like a good meal to have!

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                    When I was a freshman in college I worked for a doggy daycare and boarding facility in downtown Honolulu. After the first year I started wanting to learn more about the business and the owner (38yo woman) walked me through the books I was blown away.

Crow sounds like a good meal to have!
                    If you can find something that pets or kids want/need you can make some serious coin. People lose their budgets when it comes to those two things.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                      If you can find something that pets or kids want/need you can make some serious coin. People lose their budgets when it comes to those two things.
                      We are working right now on something that we think kids “need” and just started laying everything out. Right now it looks like I either need about $30k in machines and tooling or a good patent attorney and to find manufacturing

Comment

Here to listen.

Comment

My wife and I have been in the corporate world since college. Long hours, severe lack of days off, and even more of a lack of respect. The money was great but we were both miserable. We made the decision to leave and I so badly, and still do, wanted to become a LEO. My wife just wasn't having it.

Now we are opening our own business and so far so good. It is terrifying to know how much money we've hap to put into it and how there really isn't a safety net. But truth be told most of the fear has dissipated as I realize bills will be paid and I don't feel the sickening feeling in my stomach I once felt when I got ready for work. We will never be millionaires, but we enjoy what we are doing.

If there is something you enjoy doing, or something that makes you feel accomplished, I say go for it. Making six figures a year wont necessarily make you happy, especially if you never get to see your wife or kids.

Comment

Was a production coordinator then a purchasing supervisor for 10 years over our US, Italian and Brazil accounts for a oilfield company. Good perks and good travels. When the oilfield slowed 5 years ago we had lay offs but i survived 3 of them but they moved me to be over our China and India accounts for castings. I was miserable and dreaded traveling there. Took me about a year to plan everything and present a business plan to numerous banks until one bit. I opened up a specialty meat market and deer processing place and also sold plate lunches and different sandwiches along with boudin and cracklins. I stayed in this location 3 years and moved to a larger town last year and now focus more on the restaurant side doing fried chicken & seafood along with a facility i built to still process deer and hogs. I went from 2 employees at my first location to 9 now. Employees are by far the hardest and most stressful part. It keeps you up at night and causes a lot of stress but i feel I am much happier and financially much more stable than I was 5 years ago working for a large company.
                            Last edited by RaginCagin; 07-12-2019, 04:37 PM.

Comment

I started, a beer store...………..
                              Do I need to say, anything else......

Comment

In to learn.

I turned a 6 year hobby into a business in April. Easing in and still working my other job.
                                Last edited by austinRecurve; 07-12-2019, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X