Smart a@$$$% Hog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
    I'm NOT an east Texas expert but I'd bet the growling was not the big boar. What I've seen is the big boars smell you they silently disappear and you never know they were there.
    Yeah, I watched him do it a few times. When I would see him and he does it I was not shocked but when I was just setting there with nothing going on and then bam 30 yds away this beast goes to making some God Awful Demonic sounds i will make you jump a little.. I mean if your not as tuff as me, I never flinched ........

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
      I'm NOT an east Texas expert but I'd bet the growling was not the big boar. What I've seen is the big boars smell you they silently disappear and you never know they were there.
      Had one growl at me several years ago after I shot two of his girlfriends.

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
      There are boars at Brushy Hill and Lincoln Ranch that can/will/do and are growling, looking dead at you, and are just out of bow range. The first time it happens it will cause a person to soil their camo undies, second time is usually as bad as the first.
      This is an accurate assessment.

Comment

The smart ones are the fun ones to hunt. I have watched single older ones make small circles around a feeding area before coming in. I have cedar in the area I hunt and will cut up green limbs into small pieces around the area Im hunting for cover a sent. Then settle in for the wait passing on all the coons and oposums coming in for the bait after dark. It makes for a long sit but I usally get him. Nothing like seeing a large hog head silhouette pop out of the brush at 15 yrds in the middle of the night.

Comment

Going down a brushy trail in pitch dark that low rumbling growl will put some spring in your step by golly.

Comment

It has been my experience that sows and pigs are not as cautious as a big boar

Every hog that I have set out to kill and had to work hard trying to get has been a boar

They all circle in and get downwind before coming in

Rifle distance from feeder or set up a stand downwind of where they like to circle

I have invested many hours in trying to kill a few extra smart ones, most ended up beating me because I was too stubborn to shoot with a gun

Comment

I chased this ******* for over a year with my bow.

Finally decided to break out the smoke pole. FYI, he was much larger than he looks in that pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I had one do that right at dark a cpl days ago. I could hear him circle the stand before stepping out into the field. He was on high alert when he eased out into the field to where the faint sound of the safety caused him to run and stumble (where hogs had rooted). If he was truly smart he would've turned to go back in the brush instead of trying to cross the field.

Comment

I have seen some of the larger sows let the lil ones come in first and hang back. Some not come it at all just have to watch them moving around in the brush just out of bow range while the little ones eat. This year I had a wave of lil ones about 25 hit my corn. Im like cool come on mama's. I was about 20yrds off the neighbor's high fence and three large sows showed up on the other side of the fence watching the little ones eat. They had found a hole they could fit under but too small for the mama's. They were vacuuming up my corn so I stuck the largest in the group about 25lbs to run the rest off. He was not wasted ended up on the pit whole. I hate running a solid BH threw a baby pig.
                  Last edited by mchildress; 12-31-2016, 03:23 PM.

Comment

The big dominant sows in the group will circle a setup as well. They can be as slick as a boar.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                      M
                      The absolute easiest way is to spot and stalk in an area where you know they bed down when its raining. Hogs, even big boars get absolutely stupid in the rain. They don't seem to see, hear or smell very well when it's raining, especially if the wind is blowing pretty good too. That's also a great time to make that stalk on a feeder.

Good luck gettin him.
                      There was a sounder in a different area where I had been seeing signs of them for about two or three years. Over and over they'd come back to root up the same property, but not during the daytime. Then later on they'd start leaving signs about a half mile away and always close to or adjacent to a large creek. Usually would be near a road. I was constantly watching for them during daylight hours.

Then finally during a steady rain one afternoon, there they were out in the open. Lots of cars going by and they didn't seem to pay any attention. Looked like they were completely focused on grubs and whatever else was coming to the surface because of the rain. That was the only time I ever saw that sounder and in the daytime.
                      Next time I saw anymore signs was in a large pasture close to halfway between the two points where they had been known to be at. Looked like a rototiller went thru there.

Comment

i had a sow just like this that i hunted for 2 yrs before i shot her. this is what i ended up doing to get her:
                        i found the trail she was using the most to coming in on then i back tracked up the trail 50 to 75 yrds. i carried a climbing stand in 5 hrs before the feeder went off and climbed a tree off the trail but within bow range. climbed the tree with the climber and waited patiently. it was a long wait but in the end i was successful taking this smart sow. even to this day this animal has been the most challenging and fun to hunt.
                        good luck with the chess game.

Posted from Texasbowhunter.com App for Android

Comment

Watched one take forever to come in.
                          Jumpy and finally 10 minutes later he made a fatal decision to come to the feeder.
                          .270 did him in.

Big ones are nocturnal and extremely wary.
                          The young ones sometimes appear stupid.

Big pig

Comment

When I have a big boar coming in regular I'll hunt about 75-100 yrds down wind of the feeder and try to catch him making his circle. I didn't read everyone's post so this may have been covered.

Comment

I agree. He smelled you. Just bc the sows didn't react to your scent, doesn't mean the trophies won't. Set up a long way off and wait until he comes in than move in on him.

Comment

Wait till they stay in a brush pile a d let you walk past before busting out behind you. I have drivdn my general around in the pasture and drove past them in a brush pile then i see a part of hog and back up next to brush and thdy wont buxt and run till i shoot one. I know good and well they heard me comming in the general.....Andy

Comment

Working...
                                X