No announcement yet.

Protein Pellet Ingredients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nobody here wants to hear this BUT - this need to be put in perspective - all this discussion and energy spent over supplemental feed may be interesting but it is such a small part of what it takes to grow trophy deer on a low fence ranch. When put into context, genetics, habitat, management, and age are the real contributors to producing high end trophy bucks. Feed is such a small portion of the equation. In dry years it does have some impact - in wet years it truthfully is not the factor in horn growth. If you are selling feed or or believe it makes all the difference then fine - but the reality is no matter how good a feed is it really has a small overall impact on what a LF ranch will produce. Any legitimate biologist will tell you the same.
    Last edited by TKK; 05-04-2016, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TKK View Post
      Nobody here wants to hear this BUT - all this discussion and energy spent over supplemental feed may be interesting but it is such a small part of what it takes to grow trophy deer on a low fence ranch. When put into context, genetics, habitat, management, and age are the real contributors to producing high end trophy bucks. Feed is such a small portion of the equation. In dry years it does have some impact - in wet years it truthfully is not the factor in horn growth. If you are selling feed or or believe it makes all the difference then fine - but the reality is no matter how good a feed is it really has a small overall impact on what a LF ranch will produce. Any legitimate biologist will tell you the same.
      I agree with your statment that many elements go into growing big deer, but will also add that high fenced ranches require the same elements. Sound management practices are very much required regardless of the fence height.

Comment

Originally posted by STGS View Post
        I agree with your statment that many elements go into growing big deer, but will also add that high fenced ranches require the same elements. Sound management practices are very much required regardless of the fence height.
        Very true - I agree. I was referring more to breeding operations where there is no natural habitat - on a large HF ranch the same ingredients are what matter - you are totally correct
        Last edited by TKK; 05-04-2016, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TKK View Post
          Nobody here wants to hear this BUT - this need to be put in perspective - all this discussion and energy spent over supplemental feed may be interesting but it is such a small part of what it takes to grow trophy deer on a low fence ranch. When put into context, genetics, habitat, management, and age are the real contributors to producing high end trophy bucks. Feed is such a small portion of the equation. In dry years it does have some impact - in wet years it truthfully is not the factor in horn growth. If you are selling feed or or believe it makes all the difference then fine - but the reality is no matter how good a feed is it really has a small overall impact on what a LF ranch will produce. Any legitimate biologist will tell you the same.
          Yep

I've got age and habitat I'm just working on management and learning all I can about feed. Genetics I obviously can't change LF but I see it as best to get the best nutrition as soon as you can, then if you see the "plateaus" in growth you know it's all you could do.

Comment

Check ur pm

Comment

Tag

Comment

Originally posted by Black Gold View Post
                Yeah..... $42.95 a bag for Max Energy AM here.... WOZERS!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
                They also eat twice as much of it and grow an additional 50" of bone. Well worth the $$$ !!

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                  They also eat twice as much of it and grow an additional 50" of bone. Well worth the $$$ !!
                  That's gonna be an experiment I'll let you conduct.... [emoji12] [emoji15] [emoji1]

Comment

For years protein has helped grow larger antlers and larger body's also allowing deer to grow older. I my self have hunted ranches without supplement feed and for the last 15 years hunted ranches with supplement feed. When we stop thinking improvement can be made we stop progressing. Jason DD is progress IMO
                    I have never met you. I am as B&C said earlier in the thread, not a sales representative just another satisfied customer. I haven't posted here much except during these feed discussions. I like to stay out on the sidelines and watch. I will tell you I have seen some really nice jumps in antler mass and body weights on our lease since I started feeding DD. I do believe DD is a special feed that has improved above other brands that are still building the same old feed.
                    I have seen the results and watched deer progress on the Holden pasture over the years as many on here have. Mr. H would not be feeding it if he wasn't satisfied. He has an extremely high passion for big Whitetail Deer. I have seen him watch deer I would have considered management deer becoming deer of a lifetime on the other site. That ranch shows results and I enjoy watching. That ranch has been a huge inspiration to me. Jason and I commend you, DF&G and your marketing structure. Seeing all the photos and videos your marketing guys do have really changed things for many hunters including my self. I enjoy seeing instead of hearing about how things are being done. The Double Down Facebook is really nice please keep it going as usual it's very informative not to mention the great photos!
                    You are making the best deer feed available and its is a tough road to travel being at the top. I hope to get a chance to meet you in person Saturday I will be dropping by your store on my way to the ranch. Thank you for stepping in on the feed conversation it's been a long time coming and very educational.

Comment

be nice if I could find some of these other then MG and antler maxx local to me. So could give some of them a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Crocket Cowboy View Post
                        For years protein has helped grow larger antlers and larger body's also allowing deer to grow older. I my self have hunted ranches without supplement feed and for the last 15 years hunted ranches with supplement feed. When we stop thinking improvement can be made we stop progressing. Jason DD is progress IMO

I have never met you. I am as B&C said earlier in the thread, not a sales representative just another satisfied customer. I haven't posted here much except during these feed discussions. I like to stay out on the sidelines and watch. I will tell you I have seen some really nice jumps in antler mass and body weights on our lease since I started feeding DD. I do believe DD is a special feed that has improved above other brands that are still building the same old feed.

I have seen the results and watched deer progress on the Holden pasture over the years as many on here have. Mr. H would not be feeding it if he wasn't satisfied. He has an extremely high passion for big Whitetail Deer. I have seen him watch deer I would have considered management deer becoming deer of a lifetime on the other site. That ranch shows results and I enjoy watching. That ranch has been a huge inspiration to me. Jason and I commend you, DF&G and your marketing structure. Seeing all the photos and videos your marketing guys do have really changed things for many hunters including my self. I enjoy seeing instead of hearing about how things are being done. The Double Down Facebook is really nice please keep it going as usual it's very informative not to mention the great photos!

You are making the best deer feed available and its is a tough road to travel being at the top. I hope to get a chance to meet you in person Saturday I will be dropping by your store on my way to the ranch. Thank you for stepping in on the feed conversation it's been a long time coming and very educational.

Thank you for the kind words. Happy to hear your great results on our DD feed. We feel that we have developed and brought to the market place a top notch product.

I'm all for exchanging information and sharing our thoughts when it comes to deer protein. We have been producing such products since 1981 right here in Dilley.

Please drop by for a cup of coffee on Saturday.

Comment

Yes I do believe he believes in the feed, but also when he owns the trademark for the feed he has a financial gain from it.

If he had no financial gain, he wouldn't be so invested in it and spending so much time promoting it, saving and sending in pics and so on. I just want the facts to be facts. By him promoting it and being their top "satisfied customer" he has a gain in it along with good deals on a good feed

Without the Holden Ranch and Mr. H, we wouldn't be having this discussion as the teaming up with him and showing pics made it what it is.

This is not a bash, just informing everyone that he does get something out of it so it is unbiased to sorts

Think about it....would you be all over the internet repping a product, posting before/after photos, and spending all day promoting it if you had a full time job and got no deal on feed or money from it?
                          Last edited by gingib; 05-05-2016, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Well..... this post have got my hamster wheel spinning at mock speed. Picked up the protein today for the next feeder fill. It's weeks away, but excited about the TDN and seeing what happens. Alternating bags upon filling it will contain 50-50 Lyssy & Eckel mixed with Double Down. This should give a combo of protein sources with some.of the highest TDN available. Gonna keep that mix up thru this anther growth season as well as next (about next 18 months) and document the results as I go along. We shall see what happens. Wish me luck!

Comment

What "results" are you going to document?

Comment

Just photo game camera pics to see of there is a noticeable difference in antlers, body mass, or fawn numbers, size. Nothing scientific really. More of anything that will make me feel justified in my efforts and keep me moving forward in the same direction.

Comment

Working...
                                X