We had success in the hill country!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had success in the hill country!

The turkeys were definitely playing hard to get. They would gobble back when you talk to them. These birds would not just come charging in like we have seen in years past. We didn’t hear another gun shot all weekend, so it would be hard to believe the neighbors are leaning hard on these birds. When this Tom gave me the opportunity I was not going to pass him up. I don’t think that the birds have hit their peak just yet. I imagine next weekend it is going to be insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice!

Comment

Originally posted by RyanC26 View Post

The turkeys were definitely playing hard to get. They would gobble back when you talk to them. These birds would not just come charging in like we have seen in years past. We didn’t hear another gun shot all weekend, so it would be hard to believe the neighbors are leaning hard on these birds. When this Tom gave me the opportunity I was not going to pass him up. I don’t think that the birds have hit their peak just yet. I imagine next weekend it is going to be insane.

What do you do with the breast meat? I think I am going to grind it up and make meatballs and taco meat.

Comment

What do you do with the breast meat? I think I am going to grind it up and make meatballs and taco meat.

Comment

Very nice!!

I slice the turkey breasts into strips, use some Panko breading and bake them.

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Nice!

Comment

What county were you hunting in? if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

Congrats.! The season for our part of the hill country doesn't open up until 3/31. Can't wait...

Comment

congrats

Comment

We noticed the same kind of thing opening weekend in the south zone between Garvin Store and Leakey. Birds would gobble great to calls, but never really came in hot on decoys.

Comment

Man, it was the same way in Hondo this past weekend. Birds weren't really talking and if they were you couldn't get them to come in. even the mornings were slow. We ended up shooting 3 birds so it wasn't horrible. The last bird I shot came in at 8pm. As I was picking up, it was crazy. I've never seen a year like it.

As far as cooking it, I just chicken fry the breast meat. I cut it into strips and soak it in buttermilk for a day before and then season it like chicken tenders and fry it in coconut oil.

Congrats on your birds, looks like yall had a great time!

Comment

Season opens here on the 31st, Saturday. Birds are gobbling a little but primarily strutting around the girls and not saying as much. I was in McMullen County last week and the boys were much more vocal as they are further along (most likely 2-3 weeks ahead of the Menard birds).
                          The south Texas gobblers sure had some spurs in that sandier country.
                          Adios,
                          gary

Comment

Congrats. My grandson and I are headed to Junction Thursday night

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X