No announcement yet.

Whos liable in this situation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess going off your responses to other post on this thread, and how your neighbors have acted before in the past.I would cut and cap the line. The water company says it's a unrecorded line so act as if it dosent exist. They can run their own water line. Maybe their tune will change then.

Comment

Originally posted by The Crippler View Post
      I don't know all the facts so I can't give you a solid legal opinion, but this is a good idea. You control water, based on the facts given they have no legal recourse as they were trespassing, so come to a mutually beneficial agreement. If they don't want to play ball, they can go pound sand. When you bought this property, was a new survey rendered?
      Thats a great idea. Yes I paid for new survey.

Comment

Good luck

Sounds like you have the advantage

If law backs you, they would reroute line off of my property pronto

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcat91 View Post
          I guess going off your responses to other post on this thread, and how your neighbors have acted before in the past.I would cut and cap the line. The water company says it's a unrecorded line so act as if it dosent exist. They can run their own water line. Maybe their tune will change then.
          They can only run a new waterline if I give permission. The only way for them to access the rural water line is thru my place. Looks like Im gonna cap and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
            Good luck

Sounds like you have the advantage

If law backs you, they would reroute line off of my property pronto
            I wish I knew if the law would back me. Thats what I dont know.

Comment

I'd fix it but not before I put a tee in it with a faucet.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydestik View Post
                why would you not fix the line ?
                My thoughts. He messed up by damaging/breaking the line. Be a good neighbor and fix it the way a good neighbor should be.

Comment

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
                  They can only run a new waterline if I give permission. The only way for them to access the rural water line is thru my place. Looks like Im gonna cap and move on.
                  Sounds like the best way to proceed at this point.

Comment

U broke it fix it or pay to have it fixed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I think I would cap it then explain to them you was going out of town and if they come on your property it’s trespassing. Hang a couple signs and trail cameras. When you get back home seek legal advice. Good luck.

Comment

I have always heard there are laws to protect landowners/homeowners like your neighbor specifically dealing with water and water lines that have been there for years and years.

Interested to see how this plays out.

Easy thing would be to fix it and move on. What kind of waterline is it?

Comment

if the other house was yours and someone broke the water line what would your position be?

if you cap the line and deny them water you will loose when it goes to court!

patch the line for now, give them notice that the line must be moved by x date onto their property, also contact a constable for his opinion... tell him you have plans for your property that the line interferes with,

if their place was locked in and no were to run the line on their property it would also come out in their favor, since it sounds like it is not i think you can win the issue,, to my knowledge they have no legal right to use your property for that easement if they have their own,, also would not hurt to contact a title company and ask them

Comment

Put a quarter turn on it. Then if things get crappy turn it off

Comment

Originally posted by highspeed View Post
                              I'd fix it but not before I put a tee in it with a faucet.
                              my thoughts exactly ... fix, install a T and have your own water source
                              you get the idea

Comment

If you are concerned about legalities contact an attorney.

Comment

Working...
                                X