No announcement yet.

Post picture of your proudest Kill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The kid's and Dad stories are the best. Thanks for sharing. I have to admit, a few of these have really touched my heart.

Comment

10 yard headshot:

Comment

I think mine would have to be this hoss. DIY hunt just me and the mountains in NM. Glassed him from a ways away, gambled and decide to make a stalk and get on the same ridge as he was. Made the trek, found him and missed an off hand 75 yard shot in the cedars. Ran my butt off and squeezed off a miraculous shot (I was breathing so heavy I couldnt keep the crosshairs on him) on him coming up the next ridge. Folded him with a between the hips shot
        Attached Files

Comment

Here is a recap I wrote(on another forum) about the hunt with my Dad back in 2012:
          Let me start this post by telling you about my Dad. He is 88 yrs old and still loves to deer hunt. Just at his age it comes with limitations. We have not been able to hunt much the last 15 yrs due to my work and his health. He was forced to retire due to an accident in the oilfield that left him without use of his left arm/elbow and loss of vision. Imagine being shot in the face with a shotgun but only with gas and rust from a gas well valve that blew apart after repair. I made sure this that we would hunt this year, that we would hunt together again. It was not so much about the size of the buck or his score but more of the hunt with my Dad. I built some blinds that he could get into without having to use steps/ladders. I was disappointed in TC pic with very limited buck sightings till late Oct. Then a buck showed up that was really a nice buck. I finally was able to see this buck and then we started to hunt evening for him.
          Weather turned hot and the buck moved late or at night. We did not see him. I would hunt mornings and he would show few times but no evenings. I had hunts planned for West Texas and Kansas for Mule Deer so I left for almost 3 weeks in late mid-November. My cousin brought my Dad out 3 times but they did not see much movement at all with high temps. I returned home and immediately went to get my TC and found pics of the buck up until late November then he disappeared. About the end of the first week of December a new buck showed up that was a twin of the first buck. He was a really nice 8 point with matching kickers on his G2's. I sat and looked for this buck for few days but not a glimpse of him. My Dad came and hunted a few times but we did not see the buck. TC showed an occasional visit at night every few days. The weather turned colder and he appeared one morning.
          I called my Dad and told him we needed to hunt that afternoon. We hunted but buck was a no show. "No Show Jones" was now his name after another try. Then I sat again the next morning and he was back again. This was Saturday the 22nd. My Dad could not hunt that evening and I sat. Buck did not show but I heard a shot at 5:10 in the neighbors. My heart sank. I just new that they had killed "No Show Jones". My Dad came back out and we continued to hunt for any buck that was legal(AR county), but nothing legal showed. On Thursday morning of this week I went to hunt and he was back. I was elated to say the least. I called my Dad and we hunted that evening, but No Show lived up to his name again. I told my Dad that we needed to hunt him the next morning on Friday if he was up to it since No Show was only showing up in the mornings it seemed. He said he would call me back and tell me if he would hunt. He called back and said he was ready. We got to the blind early Friday morning and it was heavy cloud cover making it very hard to see. I put out a lot corn with the road feeder and could see deer in the slow to get light morning. No Show as a show this morning along with about 12 other bucks and does. I asked my Dad when it got a little better light if he could see well enough to shoot. He said why and probably? I said the buck was there at 90 yrds. I got him on the right buck but he looked at me and said, "I can't hold the rifle steady on him, you shoot him". My heart sank. I said no let's wait for better light and him to get closer. Well the deer moved around and he started to get closer, then a bad thing happened. 3 does started to run on a ridge angling away from us. No Show saw this and thought another buck was after them. Off he ran and my heart sank again as I thought he was gone. But he came back. I told my Dad to get ready. He came back to corn and stopped broadside at 60 yards with no other deer around. I asked my Dad could he see him good in the scope and was he steady? He said yes. I said when you are ready and comfortable kill him. Buck took a step and then stopped. He squeezed off a shot and the buck dropped in his tracks! First thing he said was, take the rifle and if he moves shoot him again! He was excited and so was I. He grabbed his binos and kept watching the buck. We talked a bit and remember old hunts together. This was a special hunt in many ways. My Dad is 88 yrs old and not sure how many more hunts we have left together. It was his biggest buck ever. He shot it with his first rifle he ever owned, a Remington 722 which he has owned for 50+ years now. It is also the first buck taken off of my new place.
          Sorry but no pics of my Dad, he did not want to be all over the internet. I can't put down what he said exactly since it would be [censored].
          Here is the first buck we were after and then the one he finally was able to kill the last week in December, 2012.
          Last edited by texashunter56; 01-10-2018, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Tossup between my best rifle deer and my best bow buck...

Rifle in 1999 long before LDPs were popular..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jason 99b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	24493461

Name:	Jason Buck1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	24493462

My best bow deer killed this year.

Name:	Video1.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	24493467

Name:	AAABow1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	24493463

Comment

Our desert sheep ewe hunts, mine then hers the following year. I couldn't decide which one to post as they are both cool and unique trophies.

On my wife's hunt, our daughter was riding in my pack and I was carrying our son as they both watched my wife shoot. This was also my wife's first big game animal.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Bowhuntamistad; 04-21-2017, 10:59 AM.

Comment

My hunt wasn't as cool because I was alone....but it was cool none the less

It was almost a bow kill, but they were too bunched up while I was within bow range.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Bowhuntamistad; 04-21-2017, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter56 View Post
                  Mine was this one with my Dad and it was also our last hunt together. We hunted together from Mid November till late December when he finally took this buck. At 86, it was his biggest buck he ever took in all his years of hunting and it was to be his last hunt. He passed away 2 yrs and 3 months later. I had it mounted and put in my parents home.

Wow!! What a memory. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

My black coyote.

And my daughters first deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

First animal i ever killed with a traditional bow

Comment

Here is mine prolly never top it.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Ether this one

Or this one

The first one was probably a more memorable hunt because I was with my two best friends. But man it's hard to say I'm prouder of that first deer than I am of the monster i shot this year lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

East Texas buck. Hunted him a full season on trails. Ended up killing him at a feeder 2 days before season closed.

Comment

Not a great pic but my son's first deer.

Comment

All great stories. @HIX- I have had the pleasure of guiding many kids hunting. My ritual and talks before and after the hunt is very educational and spiritual. But your picture increased my level of educating said youth from now on. I never thought of having the "New Hunter" fill out their own tag! That's a very important step! THANKS FOR SHARING.

Comment

Working...
                                X