No announcement yet.

2018 saltwater fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surf fishing Padre Island surf - FLORIDA POMPANO is the target. One of the best inshore species on the table - which includes and rivals flounder. Run and cast the strand, long casting true surf tackle. A passion of mine and basically what I've done my entire life.

Tackle - some custom surf rods I've built, fully capable of popping 150 - 180 yard casts with 3 - 5 ounces of lead. For Florida Pompano, you need distance to cover the bar zones from 3rd to 2nd.

Couple of weeks ago - fished off color water, 2 - 3ft surf and found a pattern around Big Shell.

Tackle are custom made Pompano leaders with various colored FishBites - artificial bait.

Two sticks on heavier rigs to hold and one stick casting 3 ounces to drift and cover ground. If I don't pick something up in 20 minutes, I roll looking for coquina shells, ghost shrimp holes and shore birds that specifically feed on surf side coquina clams.

Largest this year went 23"

Oh goodness Pomps are unbelievable!

Custom made specifically for Pompano - POMP GUN

Comment

Originally posted by froghunter View Post
      If you need a spot filled I’m very interested!!!

Will pay....
      Ive already got two amigos joining in the fun. First time for all of us.

Comment

Pompano on light tackle is a blast. I caught a few in the bays on a day when the blue water had been pushed inside the jetties in Port A. They literally ripped the rod from my hands one time. They hammer plastics.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
          Ive already got two amigos joining in the fun. First time for all of us.
          I think we discussed this on another thread. Who did you book with?

Comment

Originally posted by Chase This! View Post
            I think we discussed this on another thread. Who did you book with?
            I bought the trip offered up by Ryan on the auction to help out the local little league that was destroyed by Harvey.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
              I bought the trip offered up by Ryan on the auction to help out the local little league that was destroyed by Harvey.
              That’s right!!! You’ll have a blast.

Comment

Originally posted by Chase This! View Post
                That’s right!!! You’ll have a blast.
                That is correct.....we are going fishing and there will be beer.....cant beat that! Catching will be icing on the cake.

Comment

This image didn't make the link on the Wahoo migration trip recap above.

567 lbs @ 13ft Shortfin Mako

MMMMMM Mako steaks!

Comment

Originally posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
                    Pompano on light tackle is a blast. I caught a few in the bays on a day when the blue water had been pushed inside the jetties in Port A. They literally ripped the rod from my hands one time. They hammer plastics.
                    Yes and I'm long casting 15lb test Sakuma Nite Crystal on my Pompano setups in the surf. Shocking with 50lb flouro with running line at 15lb for the distance and fight. In the surf, it's impossible to score Pompano with typical 7ft casting gear unless they are running real tight to the sand. I've caught them on fly and 7ft casting (trout/red) casting setups but, they were side catches when I was chasing skippies, trout and redfish with that gear.

From the jetty rocks, they can be scored but it's a hit or miss deal there using trout tackle.

They run up the Corpus Christi ship channel and Lydia Anne Channel during the summer but, they are hit or miss in those areas as well. Very mobile fish and in the bays, if you can score one, there should be more....for that tide period. Return trips, hard to find them consistently.

Hard fighters for sure. You know you have one hooked up in the surf when the line starts swinging left and right, perpendicular to the sand as they fight sideways. Like Jack Crevalle - very strong and hard fighting fish.
                    Last edited by AtTheWall; 04-03-2018, 09:57 AM.

Comment

PINS - first trip with my buddy of the year. Scored a crap load of bull whiting - which fry awesome for fish tacos.

This trip, I ran a dozen miles like this, looking for Pompano and laying the rods off the truck bed in a spread. Cover a ton of water quickly on PINS this way. Water a bit too cool this trip for Pomp.

Water temps are prime now, will be running and casting this weekend.

Boat is getting it's annual service this week.......be hitting the Laguna shortly. Uncle Saggy should be down in a few weeks for our Port Mansfield trip.

Comment

I don't think I've ever posted a fishing report or pictures. Guess it's never to late.Near Port Lavaca. Got off work in the morning, and got on the water by 8. Out the water by 9 so I could go home and get some sleep.

I was fishing a sandy bottom with rocks scattered. Waist to chest deep.
                        Soft plastics fished aggressively on the upper water column. Water is nippy getting in but you get used to it.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Got out of work and made a short drive near Port Lavaca.

Fishing a muddy bottom with scattered shell. Fishing soft plastics aggressive in the upper water column.
                          Thigh to waist deep. Saw little bait activity but knew the shell was in the area.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Near Port Lavaca. Fishing thigh to waist deep. Fishing soft plastics mid to upper water column. Fishing muddy bottom with scattered grass patches. Scattered mullet.

Have more recent pics, but they won't upload from my phone.
                            I've been fishing at least once if not twice a week for the last 2 months.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by fish4food; 04-03-2018, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Nice haul brother

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Comment

Found a few fish the last couple of days.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X