Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you learn from hunting season 2016?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
    Drought years really take a toll on age classes.
    BINGO HERE for sure!

Comment

Learned the new neighbor that bought the 240 acres joining some of mine kill anything that is brown and resembles a deer. Sounds like a war zone every weekend.

Comment

Small game hunting is still fun

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Comment

That I still suck at bow hunting!

Comment

1. Don't rush your shot.

2. Sometimes it's best to stop looking for a deer you shot. I rushed a shot on a management buck. Hit was very high. I had a hard time finding blood. Eventually i did find somewhat of a blood trail and tracked for about 90 minutes. I ran out of light and went back to camp. Showed the video of the shot and a pic of the hit to two bow hunters I respect. They both said the same thing, don't look anymore. The deer is not dead, you will push him out if you look more. I followed their advice and saw him 2 days later, but could not get a shot. Then my son tried to kill him at a different feeder, and the dang buck would never stand still broadside. After seeing him the 2nd time I am sure the buck is fine. I have been in this situation before and spent 2 days looking, completely pushing the deer out of the area. Then find out he's in someone else's feeder later.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
              1. Don't rush your shot.

2. Sometimes it's best to stop looking for a deer you shot. I rushed a shot on a management buck. Hit was very high. I had a hard time finding blood. Eventually i did find somewhat of a blood trail and tracked for about 90 minutes. I ran out of light and went back to camp. Showed the video of the shot and a pic of the hit to two bow hunters I respect. They both said the same thing, don't look anymore. The deer is not dead, you will push him out if you look more. I followed their advice and saw him 2 days later, but could not get a shot. Then my son tried to kill him at a different feeder, and the dang buck would never stand still broadside. After seeing him the 2nd time I am sure the buck is fine. I have been in this situation before and spent 2 days looking, completely pushing the deer out of the area. Then find out he's in someone else's feeder later.

He's totally fine. It happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What i learned: Don't get cute. If you see a good buck on the first hunt; shoot him. It might be the best last chance you get.

Comment

I learned that baiting does little to nothing to increase deer sightings on good habitat in my area. We completely gave it up this year and noticed little to no difference other than getting in more rewarding hunts.

I learned that I can pretty much tell you when I'm going to get a shot at a buck, based off barometric pressure change/approaching or passing fronts, but I still like to be somewhere out there on the other days!

Confirmed that my plan to shoot any decent buck when they get in bow range was a good one. I didn't kill the biggest bucks on the farm this year by any means, but got a 3 year old 9 point and 4 year old 8 point with my bow. I scouted hard and put in my time, so it felt rewarding to get the shots that I did. Any bow deer without bait is a trophy/satisfying to me!

Comment

You are funny Razorback. I
                    Hunted a feeder for a week and came up with one bad shot. I killed a nice Whitetail in Wisconsin with no bait. Totally different hunting, but each can be a challenge. Getting a deer is a blessing no matter how it is done.

Comment

1. Be careful who you trust
                      2. It feels great to pass a buck so that your son can get him, and he does.
                      3. Some people are expendable in your life
                      4. Family comes first
                      5. I am not mad at deer anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                        Ha! And those are the easier counties in East Texas! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
                        Come to Hardin County.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come to smith or van zandt.

Comment

What did you learn from hunting season 2016?

I have just recently learned not only is East Texas the "hardest hunting in the world", we now have "My East Texas is harder than your East Texas" battles amongst them.

[emoji12][emoji23]

Last edited by Smart; 01-01-2017, 05:17 PM.

Comment

That I'm a better guide than deer hunter.

That next year, I will kill a monster low fence buck on a trail. (Despite the previous comment)

Comment

I learned a couple things

1. I will ABSOLUTELY NEVER get a lease in east Texas again. Not sure what it is but I'd rather just take up knitting than spend money on a lease in east Texas
                              2. Never pass on a deer in week one that you'd be thrilled to take the last week

Comment

I learned that if you are the only one feeding protein everyone else will benefit from your time and money.

Comment

Working...
                                X