A distraction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A distraction?

From all that's going on in the Middle East? Lord knows that I could use one, perhaps a few of you guys and girls could too.

I'll introduce the topic of consensual crimes in our free country. Between adults . I cannot apply enough emphasis; between adults.

I doubt that it will get out of the hangar, much less airborne before the thread gets whacked. But we'll see.

When I say "consensual crimes", I'm speaking specifically of:
    1 Drugs.
    2. Gambling.
    3. Prostitution.

My stance is: Decriminalize, regulate and tax. My position will not change, I will not argue, defend, nor explain my said position on the matters. I won't respond to tacky insults. You can't change my mind and I won't attempt to change yours.

I'm just gonna quote an old blues singer named Billie Holiday. "I never hurt nobody but myself and that's nobody's business but my own".

In conjunction with tossing out the topic(s); I will recommend a book that goes into depth on the matters: "Ain't Nobody's Business If You Do", written by Peter McWilliams, published in 1996. McWilliams said "This year we will spend $50 billion dollars and sacrifice $150 billion in tax revenue to arrest 4 to 6 million citizens for consensual crimes". And that was in 1996. The quotes alone, contained on every page of the book, make it well worth the price of purchase.

Bob Lee

The vice squad won't have a job without those categories. .....lol.
    I don't really care about any of those categories as I don't participate in any of them. If adults want to play in those have at it.......we definitely need the revenue!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Drugs impact far more than the user.

Comment

I don't care what other people do on their time.
        as far as drugs go I don't think they will ever win the 'war on drugs' as long as the appetite exist for them in the USA.
        i'm all for building a big beautiful wall with a big beautiful door in it, and it may stop some drugs from the southern border, but they will just come from another source, imo

Comment

I clicked on the thread and then realized this is gonna require much deeper thought than I'm willing to give on a Friday night. Good luck gents.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Lazy2P View Post
            I clicked on the thread and then realized this is gonna require much deeper thought than I'm willing to give on a Friday night. Good luck gents.
            well at least we know how you got your screen name.

Comment

This discussion can get huge, so I'm going to state my opinion very briefly.

If all emergency services, hospital, doctors, medicine. therapies, disability, workers compensation and unemployment insurance, that are provided by the local, state and federal government are refused to people doing elicit drugs and alcohol or these people are forced to pay for these services up front before receiving service then I would be all for these drugs all being made legal.

This is what no one ever seems to think about. We all pay for all of these peoples stupid irresponsible actions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun shooter View Post
                This discussion can get huge, so I'm going to state my opinion very briefly.

If all emergency services, hospital, doctors, medicine. therapies, disability, workers compensation and unemployment insurance, that are provided by the local, state and federal government are refused to people doing elicit drugs and alcohol or these people are forced to pay for these services up front before receiving service then I would be all for these drugs all being made legal.

This is what no one ever seems to think about. We all pay for all of these peoples stupid irresponsible actions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                ive got the same issue. i dont care if you wanna use. but, i dont want my tax dollars to pay for potential consequences of your usage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Im good with that idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
                    Im good with that idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    X-2 , do what you want as long as you can pay for the consequences.

Comment

I don't partake in any of that but not sure why prostitution is illegal. Gambling as well, for the most part. I don't know what to do about illegal drugs. I do believe the war on drugs is a losing battle using the tactics we've been using. I guess the government could say "we've poisoned the heroin, crack and meth. If you use it then you'll probably die" and then puts out tainted dope that kills off the current junkies. Then what about the next group of junkies? And all the new drugs that people will create?

Comment

Originally posted by texasnavy05 View Post
                        ive got the same issue. i dont care if you wanna use. but, i dont want my tax dollars to pay for potential consequences of your usage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                        Thing is...there is no way to stop it from effecting those tax dollars. Why should everyone have to pay for the consequences of the individual vice?

Moral decline...it effects us all in many ways

Comment

Our tax dollars have been at work for many, many years. To arrest, prosecute and to incarcerate.

Not only for drug offenses - though certainly, drug offenses are by far the largest slice of the pie - but for all three that I named.

To the tune of approximately 50 billion dollars per year. And another 150 billion dollars in lost tax revenue (in the year 1996). If McWilliams figures are true. And I have no documentation to prove or to disprove those estimates. ???

Again, I'm not arguing for my point of view, nor am I arguing against differing perspectives. Simply an objective (as opposed to a subjective) observation regarding the tax aspect. One way or the other, everyone that pays taxes still pays. ???

Bob Lee
                          Last edited by boblee; 04-08-2017, 10:27 AM.

Comment

My belief is that the welfare state of the USA would double at the least.

With freedom comes responsibility and my personal experience with the vices listed above is that it is few and far in between those that can participate and continue to contribute positively to society.

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
                              My belief is that the welfare state of the USA would double at the least.

With freedom comes responsibility and my personal experience with the vices listed above is that it is few and far in between those that can participate and continue to contribute positively to society.
                              I completely agree with you. If we as a society and with the aid of government continue to condone destructive and irresponsible behavior, we won't have to worry about a foreign power destroying us.

Comment

Working...
                              X